Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominions 3

Is Helhim good for beginners? Didn't see it on the list :P.

I don't feel like playing a turtling underwater nation, so not sure I'll play Atlatnis.

What do you think about the Apes (Kailasa) and the Great White Bull as a pretender. I remember picking the bull as my first pretender when I tried the game a few years back, and really enjoyed stomping with him.

This game gives me a RP vibe, so I imagine my army of apes worshiping a mindless bull :P
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

Do EA Ermor have the freespawn? If so, that's a lot of work you're throwing at a newbie :)

From what I've read in other AARs, the Cyclops and Prince of Death are both excellent supercombatants and available to all nations.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    Do EA Ermor have the freespawn? If so, that's a lot of work you're throwing at a newbie :)
    I don't know what freespawn is, but it's making me regret picking Ermor.

In LA Ermor generates large amounts of free but weak units, such that in later turns you would spend half your turn ordering them to the front.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Ermor has a lovely history of somewhere in the Middle Age breaking the seal of death, and inadvertently turning their populace into zombies.

In Early Age, this hasn't happened yet, and they're still very much Roman Empire. With a slight fascination with death.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

I think I'll play as the Kailasa. Apes POWER!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Is all the fluff burried in the manual? Or are there places i can go read up on it on the web?

The fluff shows up when you pick a nation. You do get some nice fluff background, but some of it is mentioned in the description of units or even other nations.

It's a fun place to discover though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm guessing one of the first choices for an Ermor pretender is whether blood magic is the in thing or not.

Blood Magic is an amazing thing, but definitely not recommended for beginners - way too much micromanagement, and the chance of being eaten by one of your battlefield summons increases greatly.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Blood Magic is an amazing thing,
    :-) ...............

but definitely not recommended for beginners
    :(

- way too much micromanagement,
    :'(

and the chance of being eaten by one of your battlefield summons increases greatly.
    !

I may have to do it anyway.

Hmmm.

I agree with VV, Blood Magic can be tremendous. It can also be dangerous, incredibly hard to balance with tax income, and at times can totally backfire. I wouldn't recommend it for a first-time player.

Ermor in the early era has incredibly diverse magic though (just look at your Augur Elder -- 2 fire, astral, 2 death, with 100% chance of gaining a random point of fire, astral, air, or death... wow). Ermor has mages that can cover every path but blood, so it usually isn't something they would need to pursue to be magically potent.

And hm... I'm thinking of changing my faction. Two ape factions might be a bit overkill in one game...

EDIT: After talking to J.B., I've decided to change my faction to Yomi.
    Last edited by The Innocent; 13-09-2011 at 04:59 PM.

And thus, from the Eternal Well in the Pearled Palace on the bottom of the Ocean, springs forth Nerae, Queen of Eloquence, the Opener of Wells and Goddess of Animals (at least those that do not drown at said bottom of the Ocean).

May the pure waters rise and cleanse the dominion of man, so that the Tritons of the Amber Clan may rejoice and frolick in the waves of a new dawn.

(I do remain a fan of Dominion's naming system.)

All factions are finalized. It's going to be a great match!

1. riasdala (Ermor, New Faith)
    2. MasterBoo (Kailasa, Rise of the Ape Kings)
    3. J.B. (Marverni, Time of Druids)
    4. Vexing Vision (Oceania, Triton Kings)
    5. Zyrden (Sauromatia, Amazon Queens)
    6. The Innocent (Yomi, Oni Kings)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bravo sir, bravo!

If only we had some sort of "like" feature for posts on here. Ah well, here, have a fistful of astral pearls. And some magic boots.

Really, excellent work. And also very usable if some/all of us are doing an AAR or something =)
    Last edited by J.B.; 14-09-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks J.B.! This is what I do while listening to German language primers to get ready for exams. I've now made one for every Early Era nation, which betrays just how dull I find German language primers. I made them with AARs in mind, so if anyone wants any faction (from the Early Era thus far), just let me know and I can put the file into Dropbox.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Great!

I'll be writing up the epic odyssey of my mistakes and tragedies on my new game-y AAR wordpress blog. Am happy to allow others access to post too. (there's currently nothing up there, but I've been writing draft posts for the SMAC and SI games I'm in).

How about we set ourselves an aim: to write and edit the AAR with such vigour and polish that we get a link on RPS's Sunday Papers? :p

I'm up to it, but how are we going to prevent from each other looking at the others' blog? :P

Also, any ETA for the start?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterBoo View Post
    I'm up to it, but how are we going to prevent from each other looking at the others' blog? :P

Also, any ETA for the start?

Well, we first check if wordpress shares "draft posts" with other authors on the same site. Anybody know if this is the case or not?

Or people can just write stuff up in Word/googledocs, etc, then we compile things together once the game's done (or advanced enough that it doesn't matter revealing secret plans from turn 1!)

I think doing a "combined" diary in a single website is a good idea (usually people who read diaries only read a from the point of view of a single player and not bother with the rest).