Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominions 3

At least while it's new. I'm surprised at just how long every turn takes when you have to consider what to write about. I must have spent half of last turn alt-tabbing to take screens. I think I'll follow ntw's advice and try running it through steam next.

Oh, (pretender) gods! I haven't made a single note or taken a single screenie. I really meant to as well. Still, early days, I'll play catch-up next turn =)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I love the first few turns in a new game of Dominions. So much to explore! Will I find the most awesome jade amazon tribe providing me with my favourite lizard-riding units to bolster my armies? What nefarious and dark magic sites are located next to my home province? Where do I get access to a neat death mage to start summoning some really fun rituals?

Questions, questions!
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Questions, questions!
    you get anwsers out of me. Our royal Emorian Emporer has helped himself to the finest Emorian wine and has lost all sense of a military campaign should be run. Already defeat faces us. To think that the city on the hill should come to this.

I discovered apes are terrible cowards.

Bananas do not work.

I sent my top commander with around 20 of the common, most simple, ape unit. They rushed the enemy (around 20 or so militas+archers), and fled after taking a few hits. Battle ended in defeat.

A turn later, I return with 20 more apes, and now the enemy has only 7 archers left. Again, they rush forward, 4-5 die, and they run back once more. Thank the Pretender my commander was there to cast Smite at them until they ran away -_-
    Last edited by MasterBoo; 18-09-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

Haha, that's a rough break. Yes, apes are terrible cowards. About as terribly cowardly as my goblins, in fact.

What's the best way to fight elephants? :S

How do you move between more than 1 province in a turn? I know there's a key stroke or something, but couldn't find it in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBoo View Post
    What's the best way to fight elephants? :S

How do you move between more than 1 province in a turn? I know there's a key stroke or something, but couldn't find it in the manual.
    Elephants? From a distance would be my best guess =)

As for moving more tha none province, surely that depends on the movement allowance of the unit/army? I'm sure one of the old hands can tell us for sure though.

Movement basics:

When you look at the unit sheet (right-click the unit), it will have two numbers under "Move" in the right column. The first is that unit's map movement potential, and the second is the number of squares the unit can move in a combat round.

You can only move more than 1 space within your own territory, and only if you aren't blocked by terrain. For instance, forests and mountains will block movement even within friendly territory (though some units have traits such as "Mountain Survival" which will permit them to ignore those terrain penalties). So it's fairly uncommon to be able to move farther than one space per turn unless you have flying units or the map's terrain types just match up in a good way to facilitate movement.

I had some cowards of my own: Mercenary militia. 60 men, and they couldn't take down 10 cavalry and some infantry. Very disappointed.
    Taking the screens through steam is so much easier. Now I have to look at them to remember what to rename them though.

Elephants:

Either lots of arrows, or (if armoured elephants) heavy cavalry with lances and making sure you get the charge.

Failing that, giants that can't be trampled.

You can also try to kill the rest of the army before the elephants so the elephants panic and flee. A psychological spell cast at the elephants themselves can also do wonders as the retreating pachiderms will stomp through their own lines, trampling everything that gets in their way... but I don't think I've read an AAR where anyone ever used such a spell.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

The hall rang with the sound of titanic hammering. A smell of fire and metals permeated the entire fortress. The old Sequani steward had to almost shout to make himself heard.

"My Lord Wayland, the order has gone out. Troops are being massed from all of the tribes in the area surrounding Marverni. Even the Eponi are mustering their horsemasters. We will be ready for war within 3 turns of the moon."

The dark figure hunched over the massive anvil raised its shaggy, bearded head. "Good, good." He scratched his chin thoughtfully. "Have we had word back from Carnutes yet?"

"Yes, master. The druids are rousing the Boar Lords and their warriors as we speak. However, they can be...difficult to focus. I do not expect to see them reach our armies for some time yet."

"Aaah, but they will be a welcome addition when they do arrive. They will drive our terrified foes before us. Good." Wayland rumbled.

The smith prodded the glowing mass on the anvil with his hammer. "You may go. Leave me to my work."

"As you say, my Lord." replied the venerable steward as he bowed and ducked out of the hall. Wayland returned to working the iron on the anvil with great vigour. The swords and shields would be in great demand in the months to come.

Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    Movement basics:
    You can only move more than 1 space within your own territory, and only if you aren't blocked by terrain.
    Unless your entire army is made out of fliers, in which case you can move three to any province. Beware of this though - if fliers rout, they still need a directly neighboring friendly province to regroup, otherwise they are destroyed.

Elephants are really scary (but not as scary as heavy cavalry), but they're just as wimpy as Master Boo's army of apes. As Nullkigan said, there's plenty of spells that can lower the moral of an enemy unit. Moral checks are made whenever a significant amount of damage is done, and is based on how much percentage of the original unit that entered the battle is still alive. Note that most fear-spells do not cause a morale-check, but merely lower it.

Basically, just grab a ton of sticks and stones and throw them at the Elephants until they rout, because if they rout, they'll most likely trample half of the enemy's army as well.

I think my RP decisions early on (= how I built my pretender), will be my demise :P.

"Oook?" (Nature bull?!)

"Ook." (Yes.)

"Oookkk!" (What a noob.)

The bull is a lovely combattant, especially if he can regenerate.

Castles rise to the west and east and south. The northern seas are free of invaders but crawling with trolls, kraken and shark riders. This is a world of turmoil. Peace will be hard to bring, the Captain of the Bronze Trident addressed the Pearled Hall. Where is the Queen?
    She is still in retirement, one of the Hall's speakers replied. The aggression of these invaders pains the Guardian of the Well.
    The Captain nodded. I will assemble the volunteers to secure our coastal provinces, then, to ease our Queen's sorrow.
    The fish-like speaker of the Hall showed a row of sharp teeth in an imitation of a merman-smile. May our Queen of Eloquence bless your bravery and inspire our troops.

I start to get the hang of the game finally, and understand how strong the Bull is with Barkskin + Twist of Fate.

I think I'll be posting my first diary post once we get to the first year or once I encounter one of you directly (because it'll be too revealing if I'll be posting before).

The Shark Knights have been subdued, the Captain reported to the Pearled Hall. We are training their ranks to fill our army.

Captain, you have done well. Soon, the Ocean floor is ours, and the songs of the mer will ring with the rising waves. However..., the Hall's Speaker intones. However, our army profess a weakness not to be underestimated.

The Captain's finned breast swelled with pride. Our army is the finest in the world, and with the Shark Knights joining us in our crusade, there is not a thing that can stand in our way!

Are these landsharks then, Captain?, the Speaker asked, rather sharply. The Captain visibly deflated, and began to stammer an apology that this was not part of his original military plan. The Speaker waved him to silence. No more words. You have done well, but another needs to take your place now. Fortunately, our Queen has a plan...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Fortunately, our Queen has a plan...[/i]

Crap. I was banking on nobody having a plan, or any sort of clue as to what they should be doing.

I guess I'd better draw up a plan of myself. Can you draw them in MS Paint?

A dozen of short apes, Markatas, entered the Main Hall of the Sacred Banana Temple. They were wearing torn rags, and some of them were lightly wounded. In the middle of the Hall, Aila the Sacred Enchantress, and Candranibh, the Kailasay Prophet, discussed battles plans. The apes approached and spoke to Aila, who was the only one in the Hall capable to speak the common tongue.

"Ook."

"... He ran away?"

"Ook."

"The White Bull ran away? Just like that?"

"Ook."

"Is he alone now? The Divine priests of the Banana? The Yavana? The Atavi? Nobody?"

"Ook."

sigh.

"Ook."

"And the scouts lost him as well?.. That's just great."

Aila picked a banana from her pouch and raised her hand. The Markata opened their eyes wide.

"Go find our Lord. Free bananas for the finder."
    Last edited by MasterBoo; 21-09-2011 at 10:42 PM.

No worries, Riadsala, my plan mostly consists in mutating the shark knights to be able to breathe air.

I'll speak to you again in roughly 300 to 400 years. It's very longterm.