Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominions 3

@MasterBoo

Just go here and type in the unit. Detailed stats will follow.

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Main_Page

But correct, no way to do it ingame. Well, without putting the unit into a battle as a hypothetical unit, but then you need to expend way more effort. And know the unit ID number (at least in general. You can theoretically do it with their name, but lots of units share names).
    Last edited by The Innocent; 27-09-2011 at 05:03 PM.

you can rightclick on all units in battles if that helps? Pauses the game and opens their info screen. If there are multiple units in the square you clicked on then they are in a line at the bottom of the info screen, you just select the unit you want.

(Sorry if that's obvious/you already knew!)

I want to plan how to enter the battle before going into it :P

I'll use the link you gave The Innocent, thanks!
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    You can rightclick on anything in the battle to get a full amount of stats.

Fatigue is the one way to get supercombatants off the battlefield. He got lucky to pass your God's Magic Resistance!

To get an accurate view of enemy units you are about to face, I'd send in a single cheap commander with "retreat" order. That's the most accurate you get, AND you learn about nasty surprises like special leaders.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    To get an accurate view of enemy units you are about to face, I'd send in a single cheap commander with "retreat" order. That's the most accurate you get, AND you learn about nasty surprises like special leaders.
    Sneaky.

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
    Sneaky.

I like it.
    Additionally, small armies usually move before big armies. This means you can actually tie down an enemy army if it spots you (there's a change armies will just pass each other).

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, I'm shooting myself in the foot here. Any other advice on how to crush my armies?
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Additionally, small armies usually move before big armies. This means you can actually tie down an enemy army if it spots you (there's a change armies will just pass each other).

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, I'm shooting myself in the foot here. Any other advice on how to crush my armies?
    I don't think army size factors into it? I'm fairly sure I've read about someone trying to use scouts to stop a pursuing force like this. The entire movement system is rather convoluted and could use a proper article on the wiki. Magic further complicates things.

... are you at the point of using communions yet? Those are a real game changer :P
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

..Communions? >confused and misses his bull<
    "What can change the nature of man?"
    Visit my development blog: http://www.indigonflash.com

Communions... nasty stuff. It uses 2 spells, Communion master and com slave. All the slaves get connected to the master, and benefits from buffs he/she casts. Commonly that would be magic enhancers like Summon earthpower, giving EVERYONE in the communion a +1 to earth magic. Next turn, do it with fire. Or use air shield to protect all your casters from arrows. You get the point. Also, I believe fatigue is shared in a communion. So its actually possible to cast 100+ fatigue spells. Or several high fatigue spells, since its spread out over a large number of people. If you have a lot of casters, you can really wreak havoc with communions. There is the threat of all your magic artillery going out at once because of shared fatigue however.

Actually, Communion Slaves boost the magical pathes of the Communion Master and absorb his fatigue, making it possible to cast these fun Astral-8 battlefield spells for example.

It's really nasty but takes a lot of time to prepare and research. I don't think we'll see a lot of communion going on given the short scope of the game.

Ah right. I should have read up on it before writing based on my memories. Derp

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hey all, been following the thread and it's been making me interesting in the game...like a few other have said the price is a bit of a stumbling point and when I noticed the Extended Download "extra" option...extends the download period for 10 days to 2 years...am I reading that right as in if you buy the standard version and uninstall for some reason you can't reinstall if it's been longer then 10 days since purchase? Am I missing something there?

You get a CD key which will work fine, but you won't be able to redownload directly from their site. Just back it up onto a cd.

Communions work two ways: there's the standard communion, which uses a number of slaves to empower a single master. Four slaves (iirc) is equal to +1 magic skill (greater effects and the ability to use higher level spells) as well as sharing the fatigue from each spell amongst the communion. This lets you cast "rocks fall" (gift of heaven), which is a powerful if inaccurate spell, with greater ease and regularity. You tend to see communions of about 12 slaves because this gives +2 and lets a couple die/sinks additional fatigue, but much more than this becomes expensive and unwieldy. When a master acts, the slaves cannot. Using a standard communion you're generally trying to bring down the more powerful (level 5+) spells, either repeatedly (GoH) or as a one off (level 9 master enslave, perhaps).

As a note: mages can use gems to empower specific spells (even those which don't cost gems) and reduce fatigue loss, but it's limited to a +1. So a communion with a master who has gems can be quite powerful even without empowering specific mages.

The second type of communion is a reverse communion. As pointed out, when someone casts a buff, the entire communion gets it. So the scripting plan is to have a bunch of buffs cast, then have the slaves do the heavy lifting. The master is scripted to not do anything as this would deny the slaves (and therefore group buffs) a chance to come into play. With this you can turn your mages into an effective firing squad or even a bunch of berobed Conan types. There are a number of mid-level (3-4ish) spells that can be used like this. I think lightning bolt is a good example, but I'm not sure if any races have access to both it and communions. Caelum can usually spam the lightning bolts without one.

Of course to set up a communion you need either casters with astral one, or the crafted items slave collar / matrix. This can get expensive as mages are not cheap and ones with astral paths generally even less so.

One of the most important things for new players to learn is that as the game progresses armies (and therefore gold) get less and less important. The early game is about your troops, yes. The midgame is about mages and thugs (commanders with good magic items that you have forged or bought). The late game usually comes down to maximum level spells (e.g. wish) and supercombatants (Tartarians, Chayots, Grigori), and often sees several provinces switch hands each turn as teleporting invisible vikings take over the world.

I hope nobody is abusing gemgens against the poor newbies!

No point for gemgens in a short game. I am pretty certain the game will be decided way before the first player reaches research level 8.

Short game? Quitters!

(post the map? :))

The map in all its glory.

Here you go. It's really a lovely, lovely random map.

About 10 provinces each? Yeah, I can see that being pretty short. Could be painful for whoever is in the NW corner, too.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    This game is sounding more and more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    This game is sounding more and more complicated.
    It's very, very scalable. You can micromanage down to the individual equipment of your leaders, minutely resetting each tax level and work out optimal search patterns.

Or you just go style over substance, research what sounds cool, give a few leaders some fun items to play with and just send in your hordes. I personally tend towards that playstyle.

The micromanager will probably win but might still get caught by surprise by some cleverly designed army setups that flank in just the right way.