Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

sound cards in 2011

as it looks like my SB audigy SE is the reason for occasional stutters in games i am looking to replace it with a new, cheap-ish soundcard.

I don't need fancy stuff like surround/5.1 etc just a reasonable bang for the buck, with the buck being around 60 max.

Recommendations ho!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    whats wrong with your onboard sound card?

Banned
    I bought an Asus Xonar DG a while back and I've been pretty impressed with that tbh. Fairly cheap and the virtual 5.1 adds a lot to gaming, plus the sound is very crisp Vs onboard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Xonar-P...5400061&sr=8-1

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    That Asus looks like a good choice. I have an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, but apart from the ridiculous name they've also gone up in price by about 20-30. Doesn't seem worth spending that much on a sound card.

Banned
    I'll second the Asus Xonar, paired with some Steel Series V2 headphones. Absolute audio bliss. Friends and family members are always wowed by the quality and also the comfort of the headphones.

I had an X-fi but I thought it gave worse sound than my onboard and sent it back. Money spent on decent headphones helps far more than money on a soundcard imo. I use my motherboards built in soundcard with Reason to create and record music, it works absolutely fine. Soundcards are a waste of money unless you have a specific reason for using one.

Since I use the UNI Xonar drivers I'm also very happy with my Asus Xonar DX.

There's so much FUD out there about soundcards these days. And I for one can't be bothered sorting the wheat from the chaff. Maybe I'm missing out, maybe not, but certainly 'not giving a shit' appears to have its advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    but certainly 'not giving a shit' appears to have its advantages.
    when has it not had it's advantages? :P

Maybe I've got low standards, or buy way too expensive of mobos. but for driving headphones I've never been left wanting using onboard sound.
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imirk View Post
    Maybe I've got low standards, or buy way too expensive of mobos. but for driving headphones I've never been left wanting using onboard sound.
    Well tbh I'd been using onboard sound for years, but I got into playing hardcore Arma 2 and quite a few of the other guys swore by dedicated sound cards, so I thought I'd give it a punt (a DG isn't going to break the bank). The step up in sound quality was noticeable. Everything is crystal clear and music audio sounds a hell of a lot crisper and you can use emulate surround sound as well.

I'll third that Asus card! Because I currently have the 7.1 version and I prefer it greatly over on-board sound.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm on onboard sound and I think my logitech x-530s sound great through it (particularly the bass.) Unfortunately, the rear speakers are shit. When playing a game, facing away from the sound source means you can barely hear it. However, I think that is more likely to be the fault of the speakers themselves than the onboard sound.

I might consider a dedicated sound card if I was using speakers worth about 100 (namely, a fair step up from what I'm using,) but there doesn't seem to be anything in that price range. There are some that are about 10-20 more expensive and then nothing until about 150-200 and then you are looking at big things.

Current onboard sound is good if you output it digitally. Their analog converters are usually awful and so is the sound if you output it this way.

Obscure Node
    I've an Asus Xonar DG, and its onboard headphone amp does wonders.

+1 on the Xonar DG. It's amazing how much difference it makes compared with onboard, and it's very cheap. Just make sure to install the drivers and turn on the surround virtualization if you use headphones.