Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hard Reset: DRM

Ars
    My last question concerned the boogeyman of DRM. "I'm a gamer as well as a developer," Zych said. "And I hate DRM. So no DRM."
    Think I'll be buying this to prove a point. Course it doesn't hurt that the game is looking pretty speccy also.
    Last edited by Rii; 07-09-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    That's good to hear. I'd like to wait on a few more previews though because whilst there is some footage, some info, there's still surprisingly little considering how close it is to release. Looks interesting though and this is certainly great news.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    JG wrote what I am thinking.
    steam

Course there's TB's half-hour LP...

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Finally, developers with some common sense.

The Witcher / 2 and Hard Reset ... both lacking DRM, both from Poland. Coincidence? I think not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I skimmed through that WTF because, from what I've seen, it's the same level as played through the Giant Bomb quick look they did a bit ago. Which is part of my issue; we know there are guns, that it looks good and so on, but we don't really know anything else. Maybe that's enough? The mystery is certainly intriguing, but I want to know more. I'm sure there'll be some good stuff closer to release, not to mention undoubtedly it'll be Wot I think'd.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    It still has the Steam-DRM though.

He's merely talking about no additional DRM, me thinks - but it's still a lot of sense and positive vibe. If I see it retail without DRM, I'll buy it just to make a point.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    It still has the Steam-DRM though.
    Is it only going to be available through Steam?

Sounds like it:

In a press release, Flying Wild Hog has announced that Hard Reset will launch on Steam Sept. 13, and that it will run you $29.99. If you decide to go ahead and pre-order the game, you’ll save 10-% off that price. Pre-orders should become available on Steam at 10 AM PST today.
    Source: http://www.gamefront.com/hard-reset-...-requirements/
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.

Sounds like it
    And I just got my hopes up. :(

Goddamnit.

Yo dawg, I heard you don't like DRM, so I put no DRM in this DRM'd game so you can play a DRM'd game whilst pretending that you're playing a DRMless game.

(Unless, of course, the .exe actually contains no DRM and does not require Steam to be running)

Quote Originally Posted by Megagun View Post
    (Unless, of course, the .exe actually contains no DRM and does not require Steam to be running)
    Investigative games journalism for the win! (This was before the story popped up everywhere - the guy is the PR Person for Hard Reset and a really recommended follow for Twitter.)

Me -> @EvolveTom: @EvolveTom No DRM for Hard Reset confirmed? (Just say Yes and you got a direct sale.)
    @EvolveTom -> Me: @VexingVision Yeah, just the Steamy stuff.

Hey, know what games don't have DRM? F2P online games! (*Vex heroically resists posting links to his games again*)

@EvolveTom -> Me: @VexingVision Yeah, just the Steamy stuff.
    Translation: "Yes. No". That guy, he a god amongst PR guys!

I wonder why they're not also getting rid of everything from Steam. I'm sure there were some games on Steam that didn't require Steam to actually be running (of course, I can't find any of them now; VVVVVV does't want to run without Steam, and I thought it used to run without it perfectly). So why go all "No DRM here, folks" when you're still using Steam's DRM? Is this just a grab for publicity, or is there some new requirement that requires games published through Steam to use Steam's DRM?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    HoMM V is an example of a game I've bought on steam and run from an executable.
    Pretty sure there are a good number more.

Quote Originally Posted by Megagun View Post
    Translation: "Yes. No". That guy, he a god amongst PR guys!
    I know! I love that man.

Ahem.

In a purely platonic, non-PR way.

Available on Steam and is exclusively available through steam/uses steamworks are different things though.

Not that I'm saying it isn't exclusive to steam or uses steamworks, it's just I haven't seen that stated anywhere yet (might have been and I just missed it of course, not saying I've been looking particularly closely as Steam doesn't really bother me much anyway and I simply haven't been following the game all that closely). Still, until it's firmly confirmed I think people should hold off on calling foul on the "no-drm" (I do sympathise with people who dislike using Steam, and do consider it to be a form of DRM even if it's one that doesn't bother me personally) claims.

It looks pretty cool, I actually wrote about it on my blog today, among a few other September releases:

http://www.namelessblog.co.uk/post/9...september-2011

So yea, have fun not reading that. I apologise profusely for that shameless (probably not the right word since I am fairly ashamed) plug, but you know... if you don't plug nobody will ever read it, which is where I'm at with my blog atm. Same goes for my youtube let's play Saira series... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llqqZNd1oQ

OK I promise I'll stop now -_-

The upshot of what I wrote there was that it looks really cool but I'm concerned. The setting looks awesome, a gleaming, futuristic, cyberpunk, Blade Runneresque city. I mean the cyberpunk alone tickles my belly, since as I'm sure most if not all of you would agree, cyberpunk is cool.

I imagine the two weapons that can do lots of things came from a design discussion of "is there a way you can have both the modern realistic design of "can only carry two weapons, cuz hey, weapons are heavy" and the old school, I have a gun for every situation", which is obviously there is, have two guns that can do many things. I'm not all that concerned about it since I imagine after a while of playing you'll get used to the way the different modes look, and even just the sequence switching from mode to mode goes in, e.g. railgun is followed by AOE bomb thing.

Graphically it looks great, really high fidelity models and textures, great overall aesthetic and plenty of detail in the levels.

Combat looks good, not a massive enemy variety shown in the preview build but screenshots dispell any fears that it'l be lacking in that department.

The big concern comes from level design. Secrets are awesome but secrets that are ALWAYS found behind destructible walls not so much. It also looked exceedingly linear in the preview builds... completely linear for that matter, with no alternate routes and path splits to be seen, which considering it seems to be a game that wants to put a modern interpretation on old school FPS design is fairly bizarre. But as TB quite rightly pointed out in his WTF is, just because it isn't in the preview build doesn't mean it won't be in the full game.

I'm not saying it'll live or die by it's linearity but it just feels like it's a game that really should include some more complex level design. At the very least some split paths if not larger areas you have to explore and find/do a few things before you can leave them. The kind of level design we know and love from DOOM in particular among other golden oldies of the FPS genre.

So yea... that's where I'm at with it. I really hope it's good and successful since a PC exclusive shooter running on specially built and fairly cutting edge tech (their engine looks pretty damn impressive from what I've seen of it and read about it) can only be good for the platform. I don't mean in a "HA, who's dead now console gamers!?" way either, I mean from the perspective of if this is a success it could encourage others to try similar endeavours, which would in turn lead to a few games coming out that can stand up to AAA titles in AAA dominated genres, like the FPS, and are thoroughly PC to boot, since they won't be hampered by the modern age curse of having to design everything to run on a console and work with a gamepad.

Edit: Dear god I had no idea that post was that long. So sorry :'(

*hides in a dark, damp corner and dies of shame*

If you read this far five yourself a pat on the back and have a cup of tea and a biscuit, because you deserve it!
    Last edited by JohnnyMaverik; 07-09-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMaverik View Post
    shame
    Don't be 'shamed, Mr. Maverik. This is one of the rare internet oases where at least half of the users don't have a macro set up to type "tl;dr"!

It's definently a fun little game. Just had a bit of a play on the demo; fun and silly. Looks pretty sweet, too. Also, since when did we start getting Demos again?! Awesome.