Obscure Node

Replacing motherboard and processor advice wanted

COMPUTER SPECS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST.

(Sorry in advance for any poor formatting it seems that this post frequently won't let me use the enter key to space things.)

The Short Version

Due to some recent computer trouble I think I need a new motherboard and consequently a new processor.

I like the look of this one.

http://www.asus.com/uk/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_VI_FORMULA/#overview

Particularly because it has that steel backplate to keep it rigid.

Processor wise I know I want an i5 Haswell but I'm not sure exactly which one. Ideally whatever the current equivalent of my old i5 2500k sandybridge is - unlocked for overclocking etc. (I don't overclock but I want the option).

I think this one is about right. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Graphics-BX80646I74770-Generation-Technology/dp/B00CO8TBOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395159114&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+i5+4670k

Any thoughts, issues, advice, suggestions would be welcome. Also if anyone has any advice on more gentle ways to remove and seat the 24 pin ATX powerplug from a motherboard I'd be grateful (see below)

The Long Version

A few weeks back my gaming desktop started acting up.

I'd hit the powerswitch and it would turn on for a second, then go off, then on again, then off again in a continious loop.

I think it was the last nvidia update driver update which may have changed the voltage on my graphics card.

This was my intial instinct which I then foolishly ignored figuring it a problem with the PSU or the motherboard.

I took a look at the inside, did some part isolation and mysteriously it started working again for a couple of days, then it started looping again.

I isolated everything carefully this time and it wouldn't work again. I think I probably damaged the motherboard taking out and reinsterting the 24 pin ATX powerplug. It seems to need a massive amount of force to get it to seat properly and a huge amount to get it out again (yes I was squeezing the little plastic clip).

Anyway I gave up at this point and got a repairman to take a look at it and do a full diagnostic - he couldn't get it working again or identify the exact problem (and didn't charge me because he couldn't, proper gent that one). He suggested it was probably the motherboard.

Later I by chance met another computer repair guy through work who told me that originally it may well have been the graphics driver update - he told me he's seen a lot of Geforce 570s with the same issue.

I know I'll have to stick to older Geforce drivers now which sucks but the 700 series doesn't seem to be enough of a jump over the 500 series to be worth upgrading my graphics card yet. Hopefully the 800 series will be a bigger step up.

Also does anyone have any tips and tricks for removing ATX powerplugs more gently? It seems stupid to me the design fits this tightly. I know they need to be secure but I hate using a lot of force on expensive computer hardware.

It's irritating to have to do this at all as my current processor performed just fine, having no issues running any game and from reading Laird's recent articles I get the impression there's only been small improvements in processor performace - other than the reduced power consumption.

Computer Specs

Originally I had

Processor: Intel i5 2500k Sandybridge (4 cores at 3.2ghz)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z8- V Pro/Gen3

Powersupply: Corsair HX650 watt professional series

Graphics card: Asus Geforce GTX 570 2gb RAM

RAM: 8gb Corsair dominator

Hard Drive: 500gb Seagate barracuda 7200rpm

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

3 case fans

Dark rock Be quiet advanced CPU cooler.

I now have all that but the motherboard is probably faulty and I bought a new PSU as I initially figured the problem was there.

New PSU is Corsair RM series 1000watt gold standard PSU. (probably overboard but I figured I'd future proof this time) .

Last edited by Farsearcher; 18-03-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Yeah, those nylon plugs stick like a mofo. You kinda have to wiggle them while pulling, that helps.

There's options here.
    1) Scour the used market for a motherboard.
    2) Buy a new motherboard for sandy bridge (they're widely available where I live).
    3) Buy a new processor and motherboard. Sell the 2500k.

I'd go with 3. It's a decent upgrade and you can still get a bunch of money for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    4670K is a good choice for the processor. I'm not sure I'd bother going for a fancy expensive motherboard though, especially if you're not planning to overclock. No specific recommendations here, start by figuring out what slots you'll want to get a minimum price before deciding if more expensive models are really worth the extra.

If you're not planning to overclock, I'd also take a serious look at CPUs that don't end in K. The K basically only gives you overclockability.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think I'd just dig up a compatible motherboard myself.
    They can't be that hard to find - I'd especially look at ebay, lots of stuff that ends up there is sold as new but from an older era.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the advice so far. I've checked out quite a few sites along with ebay and this board seems to be out of stock in most places. Ebay had some but I'd have to import them and with the import fees and shipping charges it wouldn't be a huge saving. Used boards of this type seem thin on the ground. I'll either have to look for an equivalent board or get the new one I was thinking about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, getting an identical probably isn't practical. There seem to be plenty of Z77 chipset boards floating around for a reasonable price though.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsearcher View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far. I've checked out quite a few sites along with ebay and this board seems to be out of stock in most places. Ebay had some but I'd have to import them and with the import fees and shipping charges it wouldn't be a huge saving. Used boards of this type seem thin on the ground. I'll either have to look for an equivalent board or get the new one I was thinking about.
    I really would advise against buying that motherboard, you're paying almost double what you need to for a lot of stuff you don't need and some cosmetic gimicks. This is a great motherboard and would be just as suitable: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=5&subcat=2574

Then spend what you've saved on an SSD and your system will much improved.