Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar

The best thing in games since the year 2000

Actually just nice little things that have made gaming so much better. Everyone throw in their hat.

Mine is the "Continue" button. You never notice it but just having a Continue button in the menu for a single player game just to right away pick up where you left off is amazing. I'd go further and just have games (that are basically single player) load the game I was playing and have it as the background to the menu.

Also I've not had to set Dos into extended memory mode for 20 years which is good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    Not having to mess with autoexec.bat and soundblaster setups

Oh and widely available 'tinterweb, although I guess that's a double edged sword

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Grown up big boy pants cloud saving, not UPlays oops I just ate your save but the Dropbox style, you want to roll back to friday last week style cloud.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 16-04-2015 at 11:11 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Pros

- Auto-download, auto-update becoming primary means of distribution
    - No more StarForce bricking your PC
    - Consoletoy plateau easing PC hardware demands
    - New generation of indies thanks to lower barrier of entry into industry
    - Old games coming in emulator wrappers
    - Piracy still as easy as ever
    - Writers actually getting credit

Cons

- Freemium/Pay-2-Win/Micropayments
    - DLC being the new expansion pack
    - Endless betas
    - Publishers becoming exclusive distributors
    - Same annual re-releases 4eva
    - Always-online DRM
    - The players, oh god the players
    - Writers actually getting death threats
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Pros

- No more StarForce bricking your PC
    - Consoletoy plateau easing PC hardware demands
    - New generation of indies thanks to lower barrier of entry into industry
    - Old games coming in emulator wrappers
    - Piracy still as easy as ever
    - Writers actually getting credit

Cons

- Freemium/Pay-2-Win/Micropayments
    - DLC being the new expansion pack
    - Endless betas
    - Publishers becoming exclusive distributors
    - Same annual re-releases 4eva
    - Always-online DRM
    - The players, oh god the players
    - Writers actually getting death threats
    This saves me a lot of hassle writing out myself. With a subset of 'endless betas' being 'endless betas of open world zombie survival games'

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I'd have to vote for online connectivity. Whether convenience of digital downloading (or torrenting hue hue hue) or getting together with friends to play online, it's much simpler now. Internet speeds are faster, pings are better, and the online services are better as well for the most part.

In the early 2000s or even mid 2000s for me getting online together in a planned event was a huge event and just completely rare and I felt overwhelmingly lucky if it even worked. I think one of the only exceptions to that rule for me was playing WarCraft 3 where online was easy, a few other RTS games mainly, some Unreal Tournament.

But still back then my internet wasn't very good so good online play wasn't really realistic in every game for me. Wasn't on Steam until 2009 either, not a CS player or whatever.

But anyway, now it's so stupidly fast and simple I feel spoiled most of the time, but I'm not complaining... or am I? Hmmm....

And to turn the thing over, what do I miss from then.... especially with PC games, I miss the free demos. It felt like every awesome game coming out always had some sweet demo that was completely free and there was really no reason to miss them. Call of Duty Burnville/Dawnville demoes, Medal of Honor demoes, C&C Renegade multiplayer demoes, Vietcong demoes, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory being completely free, so many random cool games.

Some even have small pockets of online players which is cool. And now it's fun to go back sometimes and play those games in completely crisp detail which was impossible before.... and some like C&C Renegade were remade, so not all lost. I still play Raven Shield now and then even today after so many years, glad the online still works for that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    This saves me a lot of hassle writing out myself. With a subset of 'endless betas' being 'endless betas of open world zombie survival games'
    See also:

- Endless betas of tower defense games
    - Endless betas of pixellated side-scrolling platformers
    - "Ironic" "humor"
    - Oh, the players will generate all the content, we're totally not substituting modders for actual development
    - This multiplayer-only shooter is totally different from all the other multiplayer-only shooters, cross my heart
    - Mobile anything
    Last edited by Nalano; 17-04-2015 at 03:24 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

In two words: indie games. If they existed then in any form even remotely close to the way they do now, I wasn't aware. Steam has done wonders for the indie scene just within the last few years, and as a result, certain indies have become some of my favorite games of all time.

To a lesser extent, the same goes for kickstarter and early access games. Both of these are double-edged swords, things that could be put both in the 'pro' and 'con' columns depending on who you ask, but I personally have had great experiences with them simply by remaining discerning in my judgment.
    Last edited by Xzi; 17-04-2015 at 04:34 AM.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    In two words: indie games. If they existed then in any form even remotely close to the way they do now, I wasn't aware. Steam has done wonders for the indie scene just within the last few years, and as a result, certain indies have become some of my favorite games of all time.
    That was what I immediately thought of too. I've had so much fun with games I would never have had access to 20 years ago.

What I consider a major improvement too is the ubiquity of wiki's and forums with information about a specific game. It must've been so incredibly frustrating to get stuck in a game somewhere and have almost no options to find the solution if you couldn't find it yourself. Reading up on a game's more difficult mechanics has become a lot easier too (I'm looking at you, Crusader Kings II).
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ahhhh, that continue button is glorious.

Also, extensive tooltips and a properly-integrated in-game help system. Although big fat manuals were also fun and I miss them.

Windows being better at handling hanging/crashed applications.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Pros-Genre diversity, sales
    Cons-Genre diversity, sales

The main other thing I'm going to say is that games, while still in need of repeat patching, are far less buggy/broken . I bought a few games pre 2000 which in spite of exceeding the required specification simply didn't work as they were mean to/at all. I have a boxed copy of Black Moon Chronicles which I bought with great excitement on release but it simply never got passed the install screen. This was a known issue and was never fixed. Most people couldn't play it and nothing was done to change that.
    Do we put that on a game that says that there are people falling out of windows and when they hit the ground we kill them and we say that is a Fallout and they are falling out of cars

Obscure Node
    Steam sales. All hail the glories Steam sales! I've never owned so many game and still had so much money. Only problem now is, I've got too many games for me to ever realistically complete. The term Steam sales can also apply to the Humble Indie Bundle and all the various other people that have caught on as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Pro:
    -Cheap games.
    -Digital distribution.
    -Mouse-over tooltips becoming an industry standard.
    -Inferiority of consoles becoming apparent to the masses, thus ensuring more of them get into PC gaming.
    -Space sims coming back in style (Star Citizen, Elite, No Man`s Sky... a good time to be a space geek)

Con:
    -It is now apparently acceptable for a PC port to be unplayable with KB+M (looking at you, Dark Souls)
    -Shitty indie games everywhere, to the point where Steam has become a minefield
    -Zombie survival garbage, and none of it is any good
    -Companies still find it acceptable to treat PC users as second-class citizens
    -Companies find it acceptable to include pay2win mechanics in full-price AAA releases
    -We still get platform wars and exclusivity dick-measuring, despite platform exclusivity being harmful to consumers
    -Radio towers
    Guild Wars 2 - Failbaddon, Mars Baneblade, Vulkan Hellhammer
    Elite: Dangerous - EpicTheTrumble
    Steam - EPICTHEFAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I would like to see your mod bits.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Pro:
    - Cheap games.
    - Digital distribution and the ear of steam and auto updated games.
    - Choice. So much choice.

Con:
    - I can't stand the recent paid-Early-Access-forever trends.

World of Goo.

Definitely World of Goo.
    - Do you have any debts?

- I owe some people a few apologies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll add free* versions of big engines like Unity or Unreal Engine.

*Well, they will charge you more or less after your game is beign sold, but hey, you can start using them right now.

Obscure Node
    What I loved is the complexity of the stories of each game, like for example, the Final Fantasy franchise has some of the most beautiful gameplay stories I've ever played. Also, the simplicity in a game yet it's so difficult, like FNAF.

Video games and woodwork are two similar things, they make you scream during certain conditions.

UI/UX getting better. Older games are increasingly hard to get into because of that.

What I didn't like: the rise of 3D and FPS. It's not exactly a 2000 thing, but close enough. 3D basically meant a new piece of expensive hardware turning into outdated junk at an alarmingly quick pace. Every game had to be 3D and we went from everything must be a Tetris clone to everything must be an FPS. Entire genres died out and have only been resurfacing in the last handful of years. Oldie goldies getting rebooted as an FPS still hasn't died out completely... although now we have Asteroid being rebooted as an online multiplayer survival something or other. Are we in for 10-20 years of that?

Ok word count ratio is terribly skewed, so I'm calling myself out for cheating and being effectively OT. On the plus side it's all Nalano's fault for including cons and derailing it for me :P
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"
    "when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    It being acceptable to make games in 2d again, for a while everything was in 3d

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Pros

That is a double edged sword. If an update comes out that buggers up your game(Insert many games here), you're fucked. If it massively changes it for the worse(Payday 2 had several updates that fucked up the game so bad that I didn't touch it for eight months. By then, a lot of the bullshit had been worked around or fixed), you're fucked.