Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

Mass Black Ops Effect? New CoD has fully voiced and animated male/female protagonists

Thought this was kinda cool. I know a lot of people here like to be able to choose female characters, and it's nice to see such a huge game incorporating the choice.

Dev quote:

It's not just a female head on a male body. It's a different set of animations for the entire game," Lamia says. Character interaction will even differ based on the protagonist's gender. "We knew we were going to do fully unique male, fully unique female for all scenes and all the customization that goes for both.

Interesting!
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2 had a player character who could be either male or female too, it's not a big ask, does raise multiplayer questions about hit box sizes and whether the males bigger hitbox and visibility if any would be complemented with more hp or heightened mobility (goldeneye used that method).

I know, I'm droning about balance but this is CoD if the Female hitbox or character model is 1% smaller than you know it's going to lead to everyone migrating to the model with the advantage just as people would shift to the superior camouflage (or in my case, every neon colour I could find).

For single player obviously those concerns are irrelevant and this is a great sign that developers are open to female customers, how long before a character we habitate in a CoD game is female and mandatory however? As many many mandatory males have come before?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    "the biggest tit yet"
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I'm not a COD-man, but good! Shame the reveal trailer and screenshots focused almost entirely on firm-buttocked dudebros (remember when Bioware marketing pretended FemShep didn't exist for 2/3 of the series?), but at least the in the few moments the shooty ladies glimpsed by in the trailer they looked pretty cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Can't wait to play as Kusanagi Motoko.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Interesting!
    Anything related to CoD is the opposite of that, actually.
    ~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The reason why you couldn't holster the weapon in ME3 and FemShep had the same animations as The One True Shep:

It's a runtime memory cost, not a disk space issue. You need those anims for the non-combat areas... so they're going to be on disk regardless.

In order to support exploration in the combat areas, you'd need to have all the anims loaded in memory... so that would be things like the 8-way walks, runs, incline anims, idles, idle twitches, male/female variant overrides, eye noise... etc.

All in all (iirc) it came out to around 2-4MB, which is relatively significant. Also, as you've guessed, yes - I'm referring to the main game (as well as the demo).
    I expect more developers will score free brownie points because now there's enough RAM for a couple extra animations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Hmm, I wonder how many CoD players care? I don't think of there being a lot of overlap between the folks that want more inclusiveness, and indeed just more options, in games and the CoD crowd. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Hmm, I wonder how many CoD players care? I don't think of there being a lot of overlap between the folks that want more inclusiveness, and indeed just more options, in games and the CoD crowd. Perhaps I'm wrong.

you could say it's a shooter at the core but then the game pretends to be something else because of pointless stuff, at least to the shooter part, that makes you wonder that.
    I' ve only read of bs to get attention

Actually the previous games may be examples of """roleplay""" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I'm not a COD-man, but good! Shame the reveal trailer and screenshots focused almost entirely on firm-buttocked dudebros (remember when Bioware marketing pretended FemShep didn't exist for 2/3 of the series?), but at least the in the few moments the shooty ladies glimpsed by in the trailer they looked pretty cool.

I felt the trailer was telling me about gimmicks as far as gaming goes, still on the narrative part or whatever issue the game deals with I think I'll get something like a cyber thing vs defensive tactic or something.
    Say players have to deal with covered/invisible gimmick guy, players get their termothing scope to see through things and everything goes back to players vs waves. Means nothing to the game but it enstablishes how dependant things are from military corps and cyberpunk stuff. Power to old men!
    Last edited by Wenz; 27-04-2015 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    Anything related to CoD is the opposite of that, actually.
    Weeeeelll, I dunno about that its not the best series but the cool new stuff they're introducing in this game is worth following at least.

4 player co-op is always enoyhable too.

I'd say having a fully-voiced male/female choice for a 5-hour-long railroaded singleplayer campaign is far from anything like "Mass Black Ops Effect".

Obscure Node
    I want cod's tight urban settings with realistic Arma-style gameplay. Insurgency is halfway there, but it doesn't have sandbox or vehicles/gunships/artillery.

Ultimately, cod MP is like twitchy headless chickens running around in circles. I like to imagine those ADHD people playing it for ungodly amounts of time in such vein :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    All of this means nothing when voice acting and/or script are terrible. And considering CoD history, well...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Good. I mean, I've not played a call of duty game since MW1, have no interest in multiplayer, in addition to their products being more than a little overpriced, but it's a good step and I'm glad they've done it. Now if they could also give a 10-12 hour singleplayer campaign and reduce their price back to 30, I might even consider them halfway worthwhile again.

What?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    COD is about the most mainstream game out there (at least core games - whatever version of Match 3 (candy crush?) and Travian (clash of clans?) are most popular perhaps eclipse it). So in terms of reaching the most people, of saying "women can be heroes too", of showing that the mainstream can handle female characters, and letting people experience that, it's far more valuable than some art-game that is in with the "SJW" crowd. I'm not sure that suggesting "inclusiveness" is only something for an erm, exclusive crowd is any way forward, or even that sensical. Amd it's more of a victory for those wanting inclusiveness than any game that was only "for" them would be.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    All of this means nothing when voice acting and/or script are terrible. And considering CoD history, well...
    Eh, CoD's production values are usually top notch so at least if it's a terrible story, it'll be an equally well produced bad story.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I'd say having a fully-voiced male/female choice for a 5-hour-long railroaded singleplayer campaign is far from anything like "Mass Black Ops Effect".
    Did you play BLOPS 2? It was fairly linear still, but had win/fail missions etc. It was at least slightly improved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    COD always had likeable characters.
    MW1 and Treyarch's games also have entertaining stories. The BLOPS series is so fucking good - you kill Fidel Castro, meet JFK, sabotage Baikonur, escape from a gulag, and hunt Nazi scientists at the North Pole in the first couple of levels. It's non-stop fun and they actually managed to tell a coherent century-spanning story across three games.

As for female characters - Ilona from AW is a total bro. That campaign's a trainwreck and I forced myself to finish it just because I liked her and the other bro (and the graphics).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The BLOPS series is so fucking good - you kill Fidel Castro, meet JFK, sabotage Baikonur, escape from a gulag, and hunt Nazi scientists at the North Pole in the first couple of levels.
    Look like a poor man's Deus Ex. Even in Invisible War, you get to do all that and more in store
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?