Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Enjoying the Star Trek Armada 3 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. Not sure if its strictly a 4X but near enough.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by papagoose View Post
    Enjoying the Star Trek Armada 3 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. Not sure if its strictly a 4X but near enough.
    I'd say Sins is easily a 4x game. You explore, expand, exploit and exterminate, for sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    I'd say Sins is easily a 4x game. You explore, expand, exploit and exterminate, for sure.
    Sins is basically a very slow Command and Conquer game, lets not be silly here.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Sins is basically a very slow Command and Conquer game, lets not be silly here.
    I fail to see what it lacks that that all other 4x games have. Sure, Sins is a streamlined 4x game, I won't argue about that (instead, I'd suggest that is one of its strengths). Unless you consider custom units as being a vital part of the genre (in which case, we will have to politely have to agree to disagree) then I don't see why it's not a 4x game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Unless you consider custom units as being a vital part of the genre
    Lots of non space games completely lack military customisation out of maybe choosing the mix of archers spearmen and cavalry. So, no, its more to do with the strategic conventions. 4X isn't about micromanaging units, SoaSE really is.

Hm... Maybe the fact that the spamy resource trading is an important part of the early game is off putting too, but honestly all I can think of that disqualifies SoaSE from the slightly spurious classification is that you can win the game with a "tank rush", with a bludgeoning wave of brawler units and a support hero.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Lots of non space games completely lack military customisation out of maybe choosing the mix of archers spearmen and cavalry. So, no, its more to do with the strategic conventions. 4X isn't about micromanaging units, SoaSE really is.

Hm... Maybe the fact that the spamy resource trading is an important part of the early game is off putting too, but honestly all I can think of that disqualifies SoaSE from the slightly spurious classification is that you can win the game with a "tank rush", with a bludgeoning wave of brawler units and a support hero.
    It really comes down to one word: depth.

I'm sick to death of this argument but it does no one any favors to muddle genre lines like this. If someone is looking for a 4X game, Sins would be a terrible suggestion, it's really as simple as that.

In some 4X you are trying to disguise your weakness or exaggerate your strengths, maybe develop a weapon out of desperation or as a countermeasure.

You might be trying to muster strength in a region to discourage aggression against a mining effort or assist a frenemy quell a rebellion while tipping religion in your favour.

Sins is more "rock paper scissors". Don't get me wrong, it's good at that, but you find more nuanced strategy in C&C Red Alert 2 at least until the Expansion Yuri's Revenge crapped up the balance (it had campaigns though).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post

you can do exactly the same in CivIV,.... rush wood chop a couple of axemen and wipe out your nearby enemies.

Hmm, never tried I guess. Always feared barbarians.

Obscure Node
    Master of Orion 2 never stopped being fun. Just saying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I was remembering a story on the main site-- I think it was by you? Something about a game you played with your dad where you ended up creating a nuclear no-man's land of devastation that made aggression unthinkable?
    I suspect you're mixing up a story about someone's game of Civ 2 (that he eventually posted online) where the world had been nuked into a state of disaster and eternal war that nobody could win, and a game of Warlords 3 that my father and I played where we started tactically razing cities and ended up tactically razing basically everything. The Warlords game was eventually won, but somehow victory didn't seem too worthwhile...
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gruevy View Post
    Master of Orion 2 never stopped being fun. Just saying.
    I agree. Unfortunately the GOG version has some unfixable speed issues in the tactical battle portion (the best part of the game besides designing ships) which makes it impossible to see what happened on the enemy turn. This makes it unplayable for me. Kinda makes me wish a had a PC from the DOS era lying around.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It's probably been already pointed out, but Fallen Enchantress: Leg Heroes probably isn't worth playing. It passes the time alright, but it's just not all that fun. I wrote up a AAR if you're interested. The whole experience of the game is a bit flat and nothingy. I'll probably go back and try and enjoy the game again, but I don't hold out much hope.

I found CivIV:Fall from Heaven 2 to be far fa far more interesting and evocative.
    agree its too slow and grindy - would say the same of eador too.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    anyone played
    Endless Space
    Endless Legend
    Dominions 4
    or Age of Wonders 3

are they any good. I played age of wonders : shadow magic years ago and liked that, but ive had no involvement with the other series.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    anyone played
    Endless Space
    Endless Legend
    Dominions 4
    or Age of Wonders 3

are they any good. I played age of wonders : shadow magic years ago and liked that, but ive had no involvement with the other series.
    For Endless Legend this is what I said earlier in this thread = "Endless Legend has just hit beta stage. They are missing some factions and the end game. Diplomacy is ropey and combat is going through some changes. Its very good at the moment and is very playable BUT its not finished. They hope to finish it in the next few months so it will be out this year hopefully.

If you don't mind an unfinished 4x game, go for it, it is a lot of fun to play. If you are one of those that like to finish 4x games, wait."

They have add stuff since, but it still needs finishing and AI balancing. It is going to be out fully soon.

As for endless space that is devisive. Here are two quotes from the Endless Legend thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    Endless Space was a lifeless, dead game with poor design decisions and lousy AI. I love 4x games, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDigritz View Post
    Umm. Really?

ES, for all of it's faults has the hands down most accessible, intuitive and well designed UI of almost any game I can think of. Period.

You can point out that the interaction in battles is limited, that the universe size is not as Epic as some others, or that the endgame is underwhelming however please post a screenshot of a better looking 4X UI... I mean... really.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Funny thing about Endless Space is that it sits pretty much right in the middle of those two opinions. Its UI is seriously one of the best, if not the best, in the 4X genre, but it lacked... something. The game felt bland and soulless, despite some fairly colorful and unusual faction designs. I'm almost tempted to say the straighforward and generic UI made the game too clinical.

It's a worthy game to play just to experience what a good UI can do to a game (and the 4X genre is especially bad at this), but it hasn't held my attention for very long.

aow3 is pretty great, but the diplomacy still needs patching.

Network Hub
    I recently bought Endless Space and played quite a bit of it.

Endless Space is solid, but derivative and bland. There are some good hours of play in it, but between ES and your 4x of preference, ES is not the game you'll return to over and over again.

Network Hub
    Is Endless Legends worth a punt then?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Is Endless Legends worth a punt then?
    I really like it atm but the AI has problems, and the devs know it and are working on it. The AI is nearly feature complete, it just need balanceing and tuning and getting it to use the marketplace to get resources etc.

Combat is more involved than in Endless Space, but nowhere near as involved as AoW. Multiplayer is in but buggy. I have no experience or interest in this side of the game. Quests are in and lead to a good bit of lore, there is research to be had and cities to be built.

It will be in early access for another few months and they hope to have it finished by the end of the year.

I feel that some people will find it as bland as Endless Space, it has a similar clinical finish to it. I like it because I like the exploration and the expansion side of 4X the most, but if you like the other sides, it might seem shallow.

If you must have it now, Nuuvem have the big edition with all the extras for around €20