Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Does Endless Legend have a non-military path to victory (i.e. cultural, scientific etc.)? Or is it only about military conquest?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by levictus View Post
    Does Endless Legend have a non-military path to victory (i.e. cultural, scientific etc.)? Or is it only about military conquest?
    The new victory conditions as of the patch before last are science, economy, expansion, annihilation, diplomacy

I don't know if they are working or not. Its still unfinished in that regard.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    The new victory conditions as of the patch before last are science, economy, expansion, annihilation, diplomacy

I don't know if they are working or not. Its still unfinished in that regard.
    I lost to an economic victory recently, so I'd say it works.

Hello, is there by any chance a 4x space game or mod taking place in Frank Herbert's Dune universe ?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tevildo View Post
    Hello, is there by any chance a 4x space game or mod taking place in Frank Herbert's Dune universe ?
    There's a well respected Civ:IV mod for Dune. I haven't played it myself, but some of the other Civ:IV mods have been excellent

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    So what's the 4X crowd playing these days?
    Glad you asked.

Sid Meier's Pirates!

My campaign of terror against the Spanish was interrupted by a peace treaty signed by the British, as Soon as the Spaniards are at war with someone I'll be there.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    so i bought AOW3, really really like it, its currently my main game. Its funny AOW3 and HOMM6 and FELH look simmilar games on paper, but AOW3 really hits both that "one more turn" factor of CIV and the "always something to do" feel of the older bettedr HOMM games.

Not sure its a 4x though, its more of a 3 and a bit X, definitely pointless going for anything diplomatic, its a kill them all game. really needs a fantasy equivalent to civ 5s science and economy victories.

whats good is you can really tinker with the map generation, game flow and starting settings, which lets you make the game play in range from something like a turn based warcraft 3 to something like a fantasy civ 3.

Whats also good is the tactical battles, theres a lot more going on with certain troops countering others, hero abilities, use of battlefield etc.. these guys could make an awesome warhammer type game JUST based around the tactical battles.

Network Hub
    Yeah AoW3 is great. It's combat focused, its not CiV. Love the tactical battles, music, visuals, fantasy feel, the classes, upgrades and the interface. Great fun.

Obscure Node
    Currently I'm playing Endless Legend and loving it. I am a big fan of how the map is split into regions, how city building works, and the fact that all races have major differences and can mix and match with any of the minor races. Not to mention the beautiful UI, art style, and audio!

If anyone is looking to play it in multiplayer feel free to add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/Seerinox/ or join http://steamcommunity.com/groups/elmultiplayer.

Otherwise I'm really excited for Civ:BE!

Edit: changed the steam group link as I discovered a bigger one than the one I was trying to make.
    Last edited by Seerinox; 19-09-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Activated Node
    As AoW3 is currently on sale and I am tempted, is it very similar to Fallen Enchantress? I bounced off hard from that game even when the Legendary Heroes version was released. A comparison from those of you who have played both would be very much appreciated.

On a related note, I also bounced off hard from Endless Space. The UI was the slickest thing I have seen so far but in my opinion the gameplay left something to be desired. Admittedly I only did play Endless Space a couple hours right after launch and have not touched it since. How does Endless Legend stack up?
    Steam = Roll Fizzlebeef
    Origin = Meatntwo
    Planetside 2/Arma 3/Mumble = Warscribe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cetshwayo View Post
    As AoW3 is currently on sale and I am tempted, is it very similar to Fallen Enchantress? I bounced off hard from that game even when the Legendary Heroes version was released. A comparison from those of you who have played both would be very much appreciated.
    It's not really anything like FE at all. It's like the first two AoW games. Of course there are lots of small differences, but it's more like them than it is like anything else. It's mostly a war game. Your cities are there to produce units or to produce buildings to make your units better or just to make money so you can build units in other cities. It's not a 4x at all really. To me the AoW games have more of the feeling of say the Heroes games, but they are very different in most ways.
    Last edited by NathanH; 19-09-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    It's not really anything like FE at all. It's like the first two AoW games. Of course there are lots of small differences, but it's more like them than it is like anything else. It's mostly a war game. Your cities are there to produce units or to produce buildings to make your units better or just to make money so you can build units in other cities. It's not a 4x at all really. To me the AoW games have more of the feeling of say the Heroes games, but they are very different in most ways.
    I see. I have no idea why i thought they were similar. :D I have never played AoW 1, 2 or HOMM. Is there another game they are similar to perhaps?
    Steam = Roll Fizzlebeef
    Origin = Meatntwo
    Planetside 2/Arma 3/Mumble = Warscribe

Endless Legend is out of early access! I... have nothing more to add, because a full-price game isn't really in the budget right now, but I hope to live vicariously through anyone who is playing it. Anyone taking the plunge? Anyone who's played the EA version still playing?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cetshwayo View Post
    On a related note, I also bounced off hard from Endless Space. The UI was the slickest thing I have seen so far but in my opinion the gameplay left something to be desired. Admittedly I only did play Endless Space a couple hours right after launch and have not touched it since. How does Endless Legend stack up?
    The UI is very similar in Endless Legend. The gameplay is fairly different however. The world is littered with neutral monsters and ruins which keep you a lot more active on the map, even outside wars. The combat is a lot more involved, with individual unit control and turn based battles rather than the card picking of Endless Space. The fact that the whole world is right in front of you also makes it way more engaging in my opinion than endless space's presentation where you never really saw your units on the world map and your planets never really changed. Here you see your cities grow, your armies march, etc...

The art style and music are quite good although that is subjective. The races are just as unique in terms of gameplay and themes as they were in Endless Space, with the addition of neutral factions which mix things up quite nicely. Generally the empire management is fairly similar, but with added twists in most cases.

I'd say that Endless Legend is different enough from Endless Space to warrant checking it out even if you weren't a fan of Endless Space. It innovates in a lot of ways on the traditional fantasy 4x while keeping some of the best aspects of Endless Space. There's plenty of stuff up on the steam forums or on youtube that you can look at for a second opinion though, don't take my word for it!
    Last edited by Seerinox; 19-09-2014 at 10:31 PM.

How does Endless Legend compare to Age of Wonders 3? It looks quite similar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Endless Legend is out of early access! I... have nothing more to add, because a full-price game isn't really in the budget right now, but I hope to live vicariously through anyone who is playing it. Anyone taking the plunge? Anyone who's played the EA version still playing?
    Just saying, I bought endless legend off nuuvem for 10 a few mins ago...

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    How does Endless Legend compare to Age of Wonders 3? It looks quite similar.
    The combat isn't as deep as AoW3. However I feel like the empire management (research, expanding, diplomacy, etc) is more fleshed out.

That being said I haven't played more than a few hours of AoW3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I recently picked up GalCiv 2 from the excellent, excellent RPS kindness club, but I am at a significant loss on how to play it - The ultimate edition is rather overwhelming. Anyone got some hints?

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Just saying, I bought endless legend off nuuvem for 10 a few mins ago...
    oh damn, there's me being all pleased with myself for getting it for 20 on GMG with the voucher.

I chose this over AOW3 weekend deal, but from what I read you kind of need the dlc too for AoW so it would put it over 20 anyway.
    I watched several lets plays, also this review of EL http://www.explorminate.com/#!Endles...2-1D5852EE936F

EL just seems to innovate a bit more and has races that really interested me. I prefer more empire building, and the tactical combat is at about the right level for me. EL is beautiful and polished, I have found it just a joy to play, the look and feel just seems to really grab me.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosh View Post
    oh damn, there's me being all pleased with myself for getting it for 20 on GMG with the voucher.

I chose this over AOW3 weekend deal, but from what I read you kind of need the dlc too for AoW so it would put it over 20 anyway.
    I watched several lets plays, also this review of EL http://www.explorminate.com/#!Endles...2-1D5852EE936F

EL just seems to innovate a bit more and has races that really interested me. I prefer more empire building, and the tactical combat is at about the right level for me. EL is beautiful and polished, I have found it just a joy to play, the look and feel just seems to really grab me.
    You dont need the DLC for AoW. All the changes and fixes were patched in AoW3 too, only thin youre missing is the new content.

AoW3 is an excellent game though.