Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greygamer View Post
    Okay I will give another go, after I do the 'research' you recommended. Like I say I really want to like CKII, it doesn't like me atm
    There really isn't all that much to it; its actually a fairly simple game, it just looks complicated. I trained myself by picking a medium sized country, Scotland in my case, and seeing what happened over the course of a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    There really isn't all that much to it; its actually a fairly simple game, it just looks complicated. I trained myself by picking a medium sized country, Scotland in my case, and seeing what happened over the course of a few games.
    I have some of the DLC (Legacy of Rome, the Republic & the Sword of Islam) should I stick the base game first?

Also are there any mods that are recommended?

Network Hub
    Best to run with whatever DLC you've got. The only questionable DLC for a new player would maybe be the Ruler Creator DLC.

The base game was really meant to work with Catholic countries, although you've got at least some DLC that expands that. Most people recommend starting with a duchy in Ireland. That works. Other people like playing as a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire. I was always partial to Spaniards myself.

The biggest thing to learn with CKII is that it's okay to do nothing. The strategic AI is actually pretty good, and getting weakened in a war will draw all the vultures out. Try to marry into land and powerful, nearby allies; try to avoid wars unless you outnumber the enemy (and their allies) by a significant margin; keep some money saved for mercenaries. After that, just remember that it's a game you play, not a game you win. Your goal is to expand as much as you can, but that won't mean taking over the entire world.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Over on the Paradox subforum we are miserably fading towards extinction in a Sword of the Stars Legacy Game, it's essentially just passing along a save file but the result is a much more making retreats and diplomatic Détentes legitimately worthwhile.

Will we ascend to mastery of fade away? It's not looking good I won't lie to you.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Over on the Paradox subforum we are miserably fading towards extinction in a Sword of the Stars Legacy Game, it's essentially just passing along a save file but the result is a much more making retreats and diplomatic Détentes legitimately worthwhile.

Will we ascend to mastery of fade away? It's not looking good I won't lie to you.
    I noticed that, you said it is on sale on STEAM 'without progression wars' is that another expansion, a mod, a code-word? Sorry if I am being dense.

It's a scenario. Essentially it's 'sliders' or... 'Quantum leap' at a stretch.

You start a normal game, then after 76 or so turns you select a fleet from all the ships at your starting world. Those ships go to a new harder game, each round gets busier, higher tech, more complicated and volatile until you either die or send a poor exodus fleet dooming yourself or you straddle the worlds with an uberfleet and get bored crushing everyone like bugs.

By 'without' progression wars I meant the game is fun regardless, but when you play the included progression wars it's a thing of legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It's a scenario. Essentially it's 'sliders' or... 'Quantum leap' at a stretch.

You start a normal game, then after 76 or so turns you select a fleet from all the ships at your starting world. Those ships go to a new harder game, each round gets busier, higher tech, more complicated and volatile until you either die or send a poor exodus fleet dooming yourself or you straddle the worlds with an uberfleet and get bored crushing everyone like bugs.

By 'without' progression wars I meant the game is fun regardless, but when you play the included progression wars it's a thing of legend.
    Thanks for clearing that up, I sort of figured out what you were doing on the other thread, didn't realise it was a scenario. Google was not very helpful in this instance.

I have it on my 'watch' list atm. I might pick it up by the end of the sale regardless

Playing as Zuul, enslaving the races you meet, strip mining their planets and then taking both the ore and slaves to the next galaxy to do it all again.

It's quite evil feeling.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 23-06-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    I was you for a long time. However, I finally decided to get into CK2 and let me tell you, it's totally worth it. Just go sit down, watch a YouTube series by someone like Arumba and then go play CK2 and see what happens. You're not going to be awesome at it, but it really is the next step and you should try to take it.
    I just want to recommend the Youtube series by SeeKayEm99 Crusader Kings 2 - Guide for Newbies although he no longer seems to be active it explains in detail and in an entertaining way the game mechanics.
    Downside it is a long series however in the long run it will save you a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greygamer View Post
    Downside it is a long series however in the long run it will save you a lot of time.
    I thought the whole point of CK2 was for it to consume large amounts of time while you spend all your income failing at assassinating your children and ineffectually hurling your layabouts at the nearest Moslem kingdom.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    I thought the whole point of CK2 was for it to consume large amounts of time while you spend all your income failing at assassinating your children and ineffectually hurling your layabouts at the nearest Moslem kingdom.
    Call of Feudalism: Modern Warfare.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Network Hub
    ck strategies not often pursued in the real world:

1) filicide

2) failing to ever enforce demands on the infidels, in order to stay in a perpetual holy war to guarantee domestic stability (not pursued in actuality until the 1950s)

3) hot-swapping highly organized generals in order to catch guerilla forces off-guard

4) fishing as a means of feeding large armies

5) peaceable tolerance of 50000 saracens in the Canaries

Emperor of the Fading Suns
    I watched this on youtube (showed up as something I might like to watch). It is abandonware and can be downloaded here. Runs on Win7 (Win95 compatibility mode) as well.

Any thoughts/memories on this game?

I adore Emperor of the Fading Suns. Always found Constantinople to be one of the most interesting of historical cities and also have a weakness for classic cheesy sci-fi of the Dune style era so a "Byzantines in space" theme is irresistible.

Sure, the AI is weak but is adequate enough to make your first few playthroughs challenging before you learn how to abuse it. Game is complex and fun to learn, best not to read much guides unless you like knowing how to cheese.

It is still played PBEM occasionally here and there on the webs but I've never managed to get in on one that actually took off.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    I adore Emperor of the Fading Suns. Always found Constantinople to be one of the most interesting of historical cities and also have a weakness for classic cheesy sci-fi of the Dune style era so a "Byzantines in space" theme is irresistible.

Sure, the AI is weak but is adequate enough to make your first few playthroughs challenging before you learn how to abuse it. Game is complex and fun to learn, best not to read much guides unless you like knowing how to cheese.

It is still played PBEM occasionally here and there on the webs but I've never managed to get in on one that actually took off.
    There is a group with about 128 members on Steam that I found today. Somehow EotFS passed me by when it first came out so I have some learning to do.

I have quite a list of 'new' 4X games to play now

Obscure Node
    This one called moo2

There was an interesting discussion about MOO/MOO2 here
    I have played quite a bit of MOO but didn't really get much into MOO2

So I now have a considerable list of 4X/Grand Strategy titles to play:

Crusader Kings II
    Europa Universalis IV
    Victoria II
    Eador: Masters of the Broken World
    Endless Space
    Fallen Enchantress & Legendary Heroes
    Space Empires IV
    Age of Wonders III
    Medieval II: Total War & Kingdoms
    Pride of Nations
    Sword of the Stars Complete (Progression Wars)
    Alpha Centauri
    Emperor of the Fading Suns

I am thinking of going CK II - EU IV - Victoria II first.
    Are there any in this list that aren't worth the time?
    I have played most of the Civ (except IV) series and have played Warlock, MOO & MoM amongst others. However I tend to get sucked into playing one title for 100+ hours when it clicks with me. The above list are games I own but have either not played or only for a fews hours.
    Last edited by Greygamer; 01-07-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    ck strategies not often pursued in the real world:

1) filicide

2) failing to ever enforce demands on the infidels, in order to stay in a perpetual holy war to guarantee domestic stability (not pursued in actuality until the 1950s)

3) hot-swapping highly organized generals in order to catch guerilla forces off-guard

4) fishing as a means of feeding large armies

5) peaceable tolerance of 50000 saracens in the Canaries
    This post is delightful. :D
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Append the words Progression Wars to the end of SotS in your list, because unless you are looking for multiplayer it's the most satisfying way to play it.