Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Speaking of 4X games, I liked Pandora: First Contact but I lost interest after a while. Some things started bugging me but I can't remember what they were now. I know they've patched it and added to the game so maybe it's time to give it another try. The diplomacy options sucked, but the unit creator was cool.

Three Moves Ahead did a decent podcast on it detailing some of the good and bad: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episo...ore-than-a-box

Of course, people are still playing Civ 5 too. I would if the damn endgame didn't drag on for what seems like an eternity.
    Last edited by Granath; 12-03-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Network Hub
    Most fun i had with 4x game is Imperium Galactica 2.

It's a pretty unique in that it's real time with pause, has an actual campaign that is great fun, you manage your colonies SimCity style, has great espionage aspect to it, has both space and ground battles, the interface is awesome and easy to use, has lots of nice FMVs, and lots of other things.

GalCiv, Civilization etc all bored me.

Also Age of Wonders 1 is great (though not fully 4x).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I usually slap myself when I want 4X, the strike upside my head reminds me that the genre is stuffed with time vampires which hook you in but never really offer a good return on investment.

Sots 1 is good for multiplayer as long as you stick to time limited turns or play with friends. Arcen games entire back log is 4X occasionally disguised (maybe not tildalis). Dominions 3 /4 is good for a similar style play in a more magical setting and has great pbem support.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Age of Wonders 3 comes out the last day of this month. Looks really cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sots 1 is good for multiplayer as long as you stick to time limited turns or play with friends.
    Surprised I'm the one saying this but: also Progression Wars. Best. Scenario. Ever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Surprised I'm the one saying this but: also Progression Wars. Best. Scenario. Ever.
    You forgot the caps, I tried mentioning progression wars but I was scared that the forum software would warn me 'you have already posted this exact message' Prog Wars is the only sustainable way to enjoy SotS singleplayer once you've finished learning the technology trees.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I'm playing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri from GOG. Simply because I've never really played it before. No mystery here. A very fine game, although factions start getting very similar after several playthroughs. I guess it takes multiplayer to really highlight the differences and weaknesses.

The most variety I had in this game is when I deliberately challenged myself. Taking Miriam and playing pure military strategy plays very different than the usual builder the game is centered around. Morgan requires you to learn the usage of Probe teams and diplomacy. You really have to care about Integrity rating, because no one will want to sign trade pacts with you.

Currently I'm able to outplay the AI with any faction on Librarian level... mostly without using Free Market (which has high demands). I'm reluctant to try higher difficulties, because to my understanding they just get more cheat money and stuff. I don't utilize Industrial Automation - I realize it's Powerful, but AI has no clue about it.

Is it just me, or after certain point only Forests and Boreholes matter as far as terraforming is concerned ? I can't seem to get much value out of condensers, echelon mirrors and soil enrichers. Oh yeah, and tide harnesses. Sea colonies are cash cows once restrictions come off. Also, it's a bit disheartening that even this fine game suffers from ICS.

But overall, I like it very much. If nothing else, it's oozing atmosphere.
    pass

Network Hub
    Galactic Civilizations 3 is currently approaching release and I believe there will be a pre-order beta around the end of the month, which I will trying out.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I'm playing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri from GOG. Simply because I've never really played it before. No mystery here.
    I envy you. It's an incredible game. The only strategy game where I cared anything about the faction differences beyond the hard numbers and aesthetics. I like to fire up a campaign every few years so it feels fresh. It does ooze atmosphere, particularly in the tech screens and wonder clips. I recently read a Frank Herbert novel, The Jesus Incident, which apparently was a "major source of inspiration" for the game theme. Book was not quite as good as Dune which itself was not all that great but it was entertaining to see the references from AC.

I prefer to play the factions thematically due to the weak AI. Yang gets played as a megalomaniac nerve-stapler while Deidre is played as a megalomaniac tree-hugger and so on.

You might get some mileage out of the expansion. It adds some neat races. I can't quite recall but I believe there was a cult faction that could spam mindworms hordes and turn the planet into fungus heaven. That was worth it alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Hmm, this thread reminded me tangentially that it's been a long time since I played Eador (which I know isn't really a 4x but is close enough to make me think of it), and now I'm stuck playing it again! So, there's my answer I s'poze.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Does Endless Space rock anyones world?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    Rock my world? Nope. My favorite modern 4x that isn't Gal Civ 2 (so modern 4x period :p), yeah. It has a lot of potential and I like the focus on hero units, since it basically turns planets into resources. If you lose a planet it doesn't matter too much since most of the benefits came from the governor anyway.

That is one reason I really want Endless Fantasy from the same devs, since I think their model will work very well for fantasy.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I go between Pandora, Elemental:FE-Legendary Heroes, Heroes(oMM) III (sometimes II), Age of Wonders 1, and Tribes of the East.
    My finger is itching on the buy button for Endless Space; and I'm ready and waiting for AoW III to take the crown.

Re: Pandora - >here's a good thread of reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    It has a lot of advances with respect to automation and simplification by placing most of the burden on developing your governors/hero units, not your planets (the planets develop themselves). So you feel like you are actually ruling an empire, rather than acting as Mayor of Super Space Land.
    I'm just about sold, as usually my main issue with space-strategy games is the gamey-ness of the experience: like I'm some semi-omnipotent computer attempting to take over the galaxy, instead of a personal ruler/avatar.

Network Hub
    I'll add another shout for the awesome Fall From heaven II mod for Civ IV:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=171398

Also look for the Dune Wars mod, also for Civ IV:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=358

Network Hub
    No. The dreadful combat and soulless implementation of everything else just kill the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Sorry for a bit of a hijack. But is it worth jumping back to Civ IV for any reason if you've played V? I'm debating doing that or picking up Brave New World.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    No. The dreadful combat and soulless implementation of everything else just kill the game.
    I wouldnt call the combat dreadful. I think it fits in the game. There are already lots of "4x" games that just turns into RTS with a bit of exploration and diplomacy. At least Endless Space offer something differently and lets you concentrate in other part of the game.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Lesser Hivemind Node
    To paraphrase The Molyneux, I found Endless Space a very zen like experience. If you liked early game Civ, which is not much combat and feeling your way around, then it could be good. I very much enjoyed playing it. Its more about the expansion and exploring than anything else. The DLC changes up the combat abit, but its still a sideshow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    To paraphrase The Molyneux, I found Endless Space a very zen like experience. If you liked early game Civ, which is not much combat and feeling your way around, then it could be good. I very much enjoyed playing it. Its more about the expansion and exploring than anything else. The DLC changes up the combat abit, but its still a sideshow.
    That's actually what I love about it. Many 4x games have detailed tactical combat, which is great, but tedious (especially when you are at full-scale war). So those end up getting simulated anyway

With the Endless SPace approach, I am always simulating, but I also have input. I can use my knowledge of the enemy force and my own to give general (rock paper scissors) tactics, but I never have to spend more than 30 seconds on a battle (usually a lot less).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Combat in Endless Space is the best thing that happened to 4x genre in years. Trudging from one boring battle to the next in the endgame kills my will to play. In ES the battle at least has a finite length. To me, it's far more interesting than micromanagement.

Then again, I found GalCiv2 to be quite boring and uninspired. ES was definitely a breath of fresh air.