Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    You actually see it alot in some supposedly dumb games implemented on a primitive level. In shooters whether FPS such as F.E.A.R (especially 3 as Paxton Fettle) or something else like Renegade Ops, Stealth games generally but in an exaggerated example "Not the Robots", Din Curse, Creeper World (series) Skyward Collapse, Jagged Alliance,. You are working with completely different toolkits to often completely different aims.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Civilisation(spelled RIGHT) 5 AI was poo for brained. The die hard Civ-maniacs threw their hands in the air and pleaded to the general population "maybe it will be less crap after expansions". It wasn't but generally the expansions were great for multiplayer features. Civ-maniacs resumed the ideological manifesto of 'Civ is great'.
    Being a Civ-maniac and having over 300 hours into the latest incarnation, I don't think it was really any more poo brained than other versions. In the beginning the AI did not know how to position its troops, but that has gotten better. In general the AI in Civ has never been particularly outstanding, though the game play mechanics more than made up for it.

I've enjoyed Civ V, though not as much as Civ IV + expansions (which I consider the best TBS game of all time). My biggest problem with Civ V is the endgame takes far, far too long.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    Being a Civ-maniac and having over 300 hours into the latest incarnation, I don't think it was really any more poo brained than other versions. In the beginning the AI did not know how to position its troops, but that has gotten better. In general the AI in Civ has never been particularly outstanding, though the game play mechanics more than made up for it.

I've enjoyed Civ V, though not as much as Civ IV + expansions (which I consider the best TBS game of all time). My biggest problem with Civ V is the endgame takes far, far too long.
    My point was more that Civ5 disabled a lot of the stuff that was in Civ4, but it came back in expansions. So there were definitely some gaps.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by biz View Post
    4x seems to have turned into a genre for people who are incompetent at strategy games

it's kind of sad, but other than some multiplayer mode (civ 4 dies in a month. maybe galciv 3 will work) I don't see how the games function at all for people with a brain. the AI is always completely idiotic

i think all the games should go down the player vs. environment route because developers suck way too much at their job to do the symmetrical empire vs. empire thing properly
    hows the Ai in CK2?

This is really a double edged sword in a lot respects.
    Make the game too complicated and drives away the general populous so the game gets no sales.
    Make the game simple and its unsatisfying to people that dig these games and gets a lot of flak for being "dumb"

There is always this cost analysis in business keyed on making cash.
    One of the reasons that indie game can get some of this stuff right and the very same reason they cant get it right... Need pretty good programmers given a lot of time on part of the game that is not immediately obvious to make a good AI and pretty good programmers get paid a crap load of cash for their time...

I was talking to a friend about this last night and likely the need there is a fundamental change in how programming is done or a better prebuilt AI API's so that more emergent AI's can be made without programming it all.

I want complex detailed games too but one of the issues there is going through all the time to learn how to play it and then finding i dont like the game for whatever reason. Then i feel jilted wasting my time on yet another game that doesnt get it right.

So a certain amount of simplicity in the game is also very important... Its a difficult situation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    My point was more that Civ5 disabled a lot of the stuff that was in Civ4, but it came back in expansions. So there were definitely some gaps.
    That was true of Civ 4 to some extent and lots of the things they took away are from Civ 4 expansion packs. So meh.

Civ 5 is pretty bloody good, though the intro music definitely isn't as good as 4.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Civ 5 is pretty bloody good, though the intro music definitely isn't as good as 4.
    It is all enitrely subjective, but I never understood the popularity of Baba Yetu. I loved that Lebanese love song in the Warlords menu, though.

On a bit of a tangent, as I haven't played any of the 4X games listed in the last few pages, Do people consider Sins of a Solar Empire to be a 4X game?

I think it might be? at least when you chuck it on the biggest maps possible, and play with as many players/AI as allowed?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    On a bit of a tangent, as I haven't played any of the 4X games listed in the last few pages, Do people consider Sins of a Solar Empire to be a 4X game?

I think it might be? at least when you chuck it on the biggest maps possible, and play with as many players/AI as allowed?
    Yeah its got elements. It's also real time. I consider it a 4x game, though i never got into it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Sins genetic ancestry is C&C and Warcraft 3. Yes it's theme is different but it's game flow and psychology is the same.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sins genetic ancestry is C&C and Warcraft 3. Yes it's theme is different but it's game flow and psychology is the same.
    Yeah, I was quite disappointed when I realized that. It didn't feel like a proper 4x to me at all.

I'm going to jump into this thread and ask a painful question. I respect the opinion of the RPS community more than any other so I want to know is Sword of the Stars 2: Enchanced Edition a fixed, playable Sword of the Stars sequel or did they finally give up without really making the game worth buying? Should I stick with Sword of the Stars and all it's expansion? I'm looking for a space based 4X strategy game because Gal Civ 3 has me interested again, since it isn't coming out for a long while I want to know what is currently out there.I see a LOT of them on Steam but they all look rather generic and it is really hard to tell from a few screen shots and a metacritic score if I'm going to fall in love or not. Am I better off just playing Master of Orion 2 and waiting for Gal Civ 3? BTW This is Railick Stonemane, looks like my old Forum log in has been destroyed so this will be post 1 : (

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valosar View Post
    I'm going to jump into this thread and ask a painful question. I respect the opinion of the RPS community more than any other so I want to know is Sword of the Stars 2: Enchanced Edition a fixed, playable Sword of the Stars sequel or did they finally give up without really making the game worth buying? Should I stick with Sword of the Stars and all it's expansion? I'm looking for a space based 4X strategy game because Gal Civ 3 has me interested again, since it isn't coming out for a long while I want to know what is currently out there.I see a LOT of them on Steam but they all look rather generic and it is really hard to tell from a few screen shots and a metacritic score if I'm going to fall in love or not. Am I better off just playing Master of Orion 2 and waiting for Gal Civ 3? BTW This is Railick Stonemane, looks like my old Forum log in has been destroyed so this will be post 1 : (
    As stated upthread, SotS 2's problems are design-deep and unfixable without a complete restart. I dearly hope they make a SotS3, and hope they hew a bit closer to the original when they do. Stick with the original and its expansion, which is still the vastly better game.

It's funny I considered buying it and I thought "What does Vinraith think about it and how can I ask him" I guess I went the right way : ) Thanks for the advice (Sorry for not reading the entire thread, I will now commence to do so) You got me in to Sword of the Stars to begin with so I respect your opinion on the game above all others.

<edit> Yes, I went out of my way to create a new log in and find a likely post JUST to get your opinion <edit>

Obscure Node
    Honestly, no. SoTS2 to me is a waste of effort and time. The tactical battle side of the game is fantastic and it looks beautiful. However, any enjoyment of this is utterly hampered by the... terrible strategic side. It took everything that was easy and intuitive about SoTS and just made it confusing, unenjoyable and complicated. I really wanted to like the fleet mission idea, but it just fundamentally feels broken. Not to mention that I still really couldn't tell you what have the interface elements are actually describing.

Such a shame.

I'm not going to lie, I am still tempted to buy the enhanced edition and give it a try. I never played the original release so maybe I won't be so jaded by the years of waiting for it to be fixed (I waited ,but I never paid so I don't feel quiet so angry) A lot of the user reviews on Steam say it is fixed . . . : P The space ships look soooo pretty! Can you guys suggest anything else I can get lost in to an equal level ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    It is freaking gorgeous, that much is undeniable. What little enjoyment I've gotten out of it has mostly come from staring at the ship graphics.

As to it being "fixed" it is, in the sense that it no longer crashes every 5 seconds. It's a functional game now (for the most part), it's just not a good one.

Obscure Node
    Looking at my Steam, it's telling me I've played 30 hours of SoTS2.

I don't know how this occurred.

BTW I agree with you regarding asymmetrical warfare in games. AI Wars is a blast because you're facing a force that can and will happily wipe you out if you make one wrong move, and the thing I love about the first sword of the stars is that each race to some degree or another is playing a totally different game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    While I do agree that making single player strategy games asymmetrical is something we should see more of I was always somewhat impressed with some aspects of the AI in Sword of the Stars. In particular it had a good knack for building ships that countered your own designs. Not putting enough emphasis on early expansion seemed to be the big problem for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Its a very complicated subject. Brad Wardell (Frogboy) of Stardock used to go into it in a fair amount of detail on his blog in years past, and GalCiv 2 probably still has the most "realistic" AI of any 4x game (if the game itself is as good is, of course, opinion, but if you disagree with me you are wrong :p).

In essence, it boils down to (among many other things): Have AI that cheats, but only enough to be challenging. And try to give them personalities, even if it makes them less effective.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.