Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Deus Ex 3 Is Going to Get DLC "Missing Link"

Still trying to work on curing the motion sicknesss, but this is really a good RPG, though shooting gameplay may not be comparable to other popular shooters.

Only thing bothers me is that the release days of DLC and main program is too damn close. Should I suspect that Square chop the game into pieces and charge extra prices on some contents which is not extra to begin with?

https://member.eu.square-enix.com/en...coming-october

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Well, the game was delayed by quite a bit. Wasn't it supposed to come out in February or something? We don't know what caused that delay, but it may have been something that didn't similarly delay the DLC.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Activated Node
    Day one DLC does make you feel like you have been cheated out a portion of the game. When you think about it are you really being conned? Well you bought the game you looked at the content and decided it was worth the price. You didn’t think about the content which may or may not have been removed for DLC. I don’t think it’s wrong to have to pay for more of the game, regardless of when it was developed. I will say that that as its stands DLC seems overpriced and the close release dates are a bit obnoxious. These are the problems with DLC not the concept as a whole.

I look forward to playing it - along with the rest of the game - in the GOTY edition released 6-12 months from now.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I look forward to playing it - along with the rest of the game - in the GOTY edition released 6-12 months from now.
    That's my plan as well, unless it comes on steam sale before that.

So what was this "Explosive Mission Pack" card for in my game? I'm really confused

Quote Originally Posted by cluongo View Post
    So what was this "Explosive Mission Pack" card for in my game? I'm really confused
    That was for the pre-order DLC. Do keep up now son, you can't just expect to buy a game and have done with it like it's 2001!

That was for the pre-order DLC. Do keep up now son, you can't just expect to buy a game and have done with it like it's 2001!
    So how the hell do I access it! This flimsy card sheds no light on how to use it or access the content, just "here's your code big papa enjoy!"

Tried activated the code on Steam and it said its already activated. Can't even find anything on google about it other than some crappy trailers!

God why!!! Why me!

Quote Originally Posted by cluongo View Post
    So how the hell do I access it! This flimsy card sheds no light on how to use it or access the content, just "here's your code big papa enjoy!"

Tried activated the code on Steam and it said its already activated. Can't even find anything on google about it other than some crappy trailers!

God why!!! Why me!
    Welcome to the new world!

If you e-mail them - I expect that either the Steam and/or official forums can direct you appropriately - and explain that someone has nicked your code they may see fit to give you another one to unlock the content that you've paid for. They may or may not ask for a receipt and/or DNA sample. Remember to express appropriate gratitude!
    Last edited by Rii; 08-09-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    They may or may not ask for a receipt and/or DNA sample. Remember to express appropriate gratitude!
    I liked the part where THE FUTURE IS NOW
    steam

Middle-of-the-road DLC are a bit... I don't know, crude.

Unless you make it some sort of optional divergence - a complement to the story, if you will - the implementation ends up being somewhat bizarre. I think of it like a writer ordering a "recall" (which you have to pay for) to add up some parts he just forgot during the creation of his work.

Network Hub
    hey everybody this is now worth fifteen bucks

i suspect this will be great value!

(i'm being facetious, it's probably going to be overpriced garbage)
    Last edited by acidtestportfolio; 14-10-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    hey everybody this is now worth fifteen bucks

i suspect this will be great value!

(i'm being facetious, it's probably going to be overpriced garbage)
    According to 1Up it's 11€ in Europe so 1€ more than Fallout DLC. Or 4€ less than CoD map packs. If it offers five hours of content, it's very fairly valued compared to other DLC out there.

Oh, you don't like paying the same as every euro gamer has had to pay for most DLC packs in the past few years? Too bad, this time EVERYONE is in the same boat. $15 ~= 11€ ~= £9. UK still being cheapest and $ being just slightly below the euro price, but close enough.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinor View Post
    Oh, you don't like paying the same as every euro gamer has had to pay for most DLC packs in the past few years? Too bad, this time EVERYONE is in the same boat. $15 ~= 11€ ~= £9. UK still being cheapest and $ being just slightly below the euro price, but close enough.
    look, i don't care if it's those dastardly europeans trying to steal my euros

i can get a lot better for $15, even if it's not video game related

DLC manufacturers need to fucking understand this: when i see their five-mission pack for an existing video game versus the one to three decent indie games i can buy for that same price (ESPECIALLY WHEN THE DLC IS FIFTEEN BUCKS), i (and probably most) will go for the decent indie games ALMOST EVERY TIME.

the exception to this would be moddable games like fallout: new vegas. not only will modders mod the DLC, they can take objects out of that DLC and put them into their mods for added value and variance. it puts a fence between the haves and the have nots, but if the DLC is good, the consumer won't care in this case. mostly everybody wins!
    Last edited by acidtestportfolio; 14-10-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'd rather buy Renegade Ops, and so can you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    DLC manufacturers need to fucking understand this: when i see their five-mission pack for an existing video game versus the one to three decent indie games i can buy for that same price, i (and probably most) will go for the decent indie games ALMOST EVERY TIME.
    Yeah, I sure can't wait to play three 20 minutes-short platformers made by god-knows-who in their free time instead of a professionaly made 5 hours long expansion for a game that I actually liked and waited for three years. DLC manufacturers are so stupid for making something for people who bought and liked their game.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Yeah, I sure can't wait to play three 20 minutes-short platformers made by god-knows-who in their free time instead of a professionaly made 5 hours long expansion for a game that I actually liked and waited for three years. DLC manufacturers are so stupid for making something for people who bought and liked their game.
    man you have made some bad choices

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Been thinking about DLC lately... the thing is, it's a premium product. No-one ever said it was good value. It's more "hey, did you really like this game? Want to pay a bit more and get little bit more of it?" - it's sort of like leaving a big tip at a restaurant because you were really impressed.

But the question becomes, why is it a premium product? I think because DLC, unlike games, are still niche. At most half of 360s and PS3s are online which instantly kills a huge part of the audience. Then for younger people it's more difficult as they won't have a card to buy points with. Then there's the fact that a lot of people won't even go looking for DLC... I'd love to see some stats on this. What percentage of Mass Effect 2 owners bought, say, Lair of the Shadow Broker. Because that reviewed well. But I'd bet it's less than 5%

I think over time, as delivery methods improve, we might see cheaper DLC just because the audience will grow. Once there's an easy app-store style model for buying it, and its cheaply priced, the market should get a lot bigger and make up for it.

At the moment, I'm okay with DLC like this costing a good chunk of money. It's fine: you either liked the game enough you'll pay that for a little bit more, or you didn't. Unless it's something obviously cut out of the game and the game feels empty without it (not the case here) then I don't have a problem with it.

DLC is never good value compared with buying a new game, be it indie or AAA, it's not meant to be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    At the moment, I'm okay with DLC like this costing a good chunk of money. It's fine: you either liked the game enough you'll pay that for a little bit more, or you didn't. Unless it's something obviously cut out of the game and the game feels empty without it (not the case here) then I don't have a problem with it.

DLC is never good value compared with buying a new game, be it indie or AAA, it's not meant to be.
    I agree. Video games are an experiential product. I tend to think that the value of the game is not what the game is so much as it's the quality of the experience you get out of it, which is always going to be a bit relative and subjective. DLC, then, is for people who got more value out of the game in the first place.

Another thing is that DLC is more expensive (at least, per amount of content), but it's also lower-risk. With a new game, you can only ever have a vague idea of whether or not it's going to be any good based on what people have said. With DLC, you already know the game, so you have a much better idea of whether or not the DLC will be worthwhile. You're far less likely to buy bad DLC than you are to buy a bad game, because you can make that much more informed a choice about it.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I agree. Video games are an experiential product. I tend to think that the value of the game is not what the game is so much as it's the quality of the experience you get out of it, which is always going to be a bit relative and subjective. DLC, then, is for people who got more value out of the game in the first place.
    i disagree, i have had loads of fun with deus ex: human revolution. i played that game in long stretches with awe and wonder, exploring everything. that's how much fun i've had with it. four hours for fifteen bucks? that's a really bad deal considering the 27 i got for $50