Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    i disagree, i have had loads of fun with deus ex: human revolution. i played that game in long stretches with awe and wonder, exploring everything. that's how much fun i've had with it. four hours for fifteen bucks? that's a really bad deal considering the 27 i got for $50
    Then you've already been ripped off because I got 40 hours out of it for the same price.

    But if Deus Ex is such good value, why not just go buy another copy of it then, and get another 27 hours out if it? You can't. You can't get that experience back in the same way because you've already had it. So in some ways it doesn't make sense to compare the two. Were the DLC stand-alone, I hadn't played either that or the main game, and I was buying just one, then obviously the main game is much better value.

    But that's not what is happening here. You can go buy another full-price game or an indie title and you'll get much better value. And if value is all that matters to you then DLC should never even enter your mind. It'll always be a rip-off. In fact you should probably be purely playing JRPGs and MMOs. But the question is not "would you like some entertainment?" it is "would you like a bit more of a game you really really like? "

    If the answer is yes, then the publisher can choose what they want to offer you it for. Likewise you can say "nah, not worth that much" as I'm sure many people will do (including me, most likely) - we're not the target audience.

  2. #22
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    united states of dumbstralia
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Then you've already been ripped off because I got 40 hours out of it for the same price.

    But if Deus Ex is such good value, why not just go buy another copy of it then, and get another 27 hours out if it? You can't. You can't get that experience back in the same way because you've already had it. So in some ways it doesn't make sense to compare the two. Were the DLC stand-alone, I hadn't played either that or the main game, and I was buying just one, then obviously the main game is much better value.

    But that's not what is happening here. You can go buy another full-price game or an indie title and you'll get much better value. And if value is all that matters to you then DLC should never even enter your mind. It'll always be a rip-off. In fact you should probably be purely playing JRPGs and MMOs. But the question is not "would you like some entertainment?" it is "would you like a bit more of a game you really really like? "

    If the answer is yes, then the publisher can choose what they want to offer you it for. Likewise you can say "nah, not worth that much" as I'm sure many people will do (including me, most likely) - we're not the target audience.
    1: i think jrpgs and mmos are terrible

    2: the answer to your question is 'i would like a bit more of a game i really really like, but if you think you're going to charge me that much for it, you're out of your fucking mind'

    3: you should try smoking weed
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

  3. #23
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Three miles from the nearest bus stop
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post
    3: you should try smoking weed
    See, now there's something that's way too expensive for the amount of value I get out of it.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtestportfolio View Post

    3: you should try smoking weed
    You think I wrote that rant sober? :)

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    2,983
    Lets necro this thread. I actually have a question about this DLC and I don't want to create a new thread.
    I bought it during the steam Sale. I had a lot of trouble finding it in game until I realized It's on another entry on the steam library. Now I'm wondering if I can play it as part of the main game. As in when you reach that part in the game you play the missing link or the only way to play it is as a standalone "expansion" not related at all with the main campaign.
    Does anyone who played it knows how's the deal with this thing?

  6. #26
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Lets necro this thread. I actually have a question about this DLC and I don't want to create a new thread.
    I bought it during the steam Sale. I had a lot of trouble finding it in game until I realized It's on another entry on the steam library. Now I'm wondering if I can play it as part of the main game. As in when you reach that part in the game you play the missing link or the only way to play it is as a standalone "expansion" not related at all with the main campaign.
    Does anyone who played it knows how's the deal with this thing?
    Its a standalone story, you get to level up your augmentations a fresh because bleh blah bluh blah!
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  7. #27
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    2,983
    That sucks. I'm sad now.

    :( <-Me

  8. #28
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    380
    No reason why you can't just stop the main game at the appropriate point in the story, go do the DLC, and then come back to the main game.

    It's not seamless but it'll do. I'm currently doing that very thing with the Joe's Adventures DLC for Mafia 2...

  9. #29
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    Hey, I'm playing this right now!

    As you discovered, it is its "own thing," which I think was a very smart move. I beat Human Revolution when it came out, so I had no desire to go through that again, but a small, independent adventure that I can download and install by itself? Yes, please!

  10. #30
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    As you discovered, it is its "own thing," which I think was a very smart move. I beat Human Revolution when it came out, so I had no desire to go through that again, but a small, independent adventure that I can download and install by itself? Yes, please!
    One thing that bothers me though, is that the main campaign was obviously designed with that chapter in mind. So they decided to just withhold it from the release of the game and then charge 10.99 euros for it (steam price). That pisses me off a little bit.

    Though as I bought it at 75% off I suppose it was okay value for money.

  11. #31
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristoff View Post
    One thing that bothers me though, is that the main campaign was obviously designed with that chapter in mind.
    On the contrary, in my opinion it felt disjointed from the core storyline. It was very good nonetheless (and a proper boss fight too!)

  12. #32
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristoff View Post
    One thing that bothers me though, is that the main campaign was obviously designed with that chapter in mind. So they decided to just withhold it from the release of the game and then charge 10.99 euros for it (steam price). That pisses me off a little bit.
    Nope. If you do decide to stop at that point, go out and play the DLC, then go back to the game, you'll realise how it completely screws up the pacing of the last third of the game. Sure, maybe that chapter was, at some point, part of the original design document. Maybe it was even made and done in some early beta version of the game. But if it was cut, it was cut for a damn good reason. The same reason it doesn't get magically inserted into the game at that point once you buy the DLC.

    Every game has cut content, levels that were originally planned to be in there and then taken out. They're generally cut for good reasons, not to sell as DLC later. But if you have those assets, those half done levels, and they're good on their own, just didn't fit within the game, then they do make convenient DLC, granted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •