Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection Review

"Everyone wins with this collection. I don't know of a fan of Team Ico's games that wouldn't kill to play them again in high-definition at 1080p, not to mention with added Trophy support and a 3D option. If you're like me, and have played each of these games a few times, you'll probably forget that you're playing a PS2 game most of the time. Both games really look so good that they feel new. I'm sure that current fans of these games needed no convincing, so I'll stop here. Oh, but you've got to see the colossi in 3D! Borrow a 3D television if you must."

Full review - http://www.destructoid.com/review-ic...n-210885.phtml

Anyone else going to buy this collection?

Quote Originally Posted by redox View Post
    Anyone else going to buy this collection?
    Yes. I haven't played either title before so this is a wonderful opportunity and I'm glad that by all accounts Sony have put in the work to do the remastering properly, unlike certain other *cough* Ubisoft *cough* HD re-releases.

I intend to pick up the Metal Gear Solid HD collection also, even though that's not all new to me.
    Last edited by Rii; 08-09-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are out of print and the only way to get them is buying used copies for ridiculous prices. This is a real boon for all the people who haven't played those yet.
    to wound the autumnal city.

If only I had PS3 I'd definetly pick it up. Somehow missed both games on PS2 and now it's a complete pain in the ass to try and find either of them at a reasonable price.

Now if only someone would give me a PS3.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    I have both on PS2 but thanks to the wondrous decision of Sony to remove backwards compatability, this is the only way I can play them now.

(what am I kidding, I'd buy this anyway)

Looking forward to getting lost in them again. All time classics.

Activated Node
    I was lucky enough to find a pre owned collectors edition of SotC for $30, in near mint condition. Seriously considering picking up a PS3 this weekend though, so this is a must-buy title if I do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yes, never played ICO so am wondering about it. Loved, Loved, Loved SotC, though I got stuck on that annoying horse colossus, hopefully I can do better this time.

Is there anything in PS3 emulation about yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Is there anything in PS3 emulation about yet?
    I doubt there ever will be tbh. The modern systems are too complicated for tinkerers to get far with it themselves. By the time it's possible I suspect there'll be no point in that there'll be hardware emulation or official software emulation on successor platforms or simply disinterest in the field for one reason or another.

Never owned a PlayStation but always wanted to play Shadow of the Colossus.

Eurogamer's Digital Foundry has an exhaustive technical analysis of the remakes available here. Set nerdery to maximum!
    Last edited by Rii; 10-09-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    If only I had PS3 I'd definetly pick it up. Somehow missed both games on PS2 and now it's a complete pain in the ass to try and find either of them at a reasonable price.
    If you have a decent gaming rig you can easily play both on emulator, AAx16HQ, 1080p

Network Hub
    I have a copy of SOTC that I got for cheap (somehow) lying around somewhere, but I never played it for some reason that I honestly cant fathom at this point. So yes, I will be getting this. I also just want to take this chance to point out that I would buy the MGS HD collection in a heartbeat if they had included the freaking first game. I seriously do not understand the logic there, especially considering that (I believe) one of the releases (maybe the japanese one?) IS getting an HD version of the first game. So, they have it sitting there. They're just not putting it in the collection. Having never played any of the games, this makes it a bit useless for me.

I'm thinking that maybe Nintendo had a bit of a hand in that since one of there games is also a re-release of the 1st game so they might have not been to pleased that one that probably everyone would buy is also coming out. Though that is pure speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    If you have a decent gaming rig you can easily play both on emulator, AAx16HQ, 1080p
    I'm not really a fan of emulating console games on PC, it just "plays" wrong. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I'm not really a fan of emulating console games on PC, it just "plays" wrong. :P
    In this case graphically it plays better than the original, and I can bet the remake. And gameplay-wise, you can use any gamepad you like, even wiimote.

Network Hub
    In what way? Keyboard vs pad?

Activated Node
    With the metal gear solid collection, the Japanese version just gets a code to download the PSN store version of the first game, and they miss out on Peacewalker. So it's just one of the emulated 'PSone classic' games, not a HD remake.

While we're at it, what are some PS3 games I should Most Definately buy?

MGS4
    Uncharted 1&2
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Little Big Planet

And I can't think of anything else at the top of my head