Catherine
    L.A. Noire
    Vanquish
    Child of Eden
    Shadow of the Colossus / ICO HD
    Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
    The Last Guardian
    Journey

El Shaddai also recently caught my eye although I'm not yet prepared to add it to The List ™.

Course there are others that get recommendations depending on tastes ... like LBP/2, God of War III, Bayonetta, GT5, Demon/Dark Souls, etc.
    Last edited by Rii; 15-09-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Demon's souls!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by wcaypahwat View Post
    With the metal gear solid collection, the Japanese version just gets a code to download the PSN store version of the first game, and they miss out on Peacewalker. So it's just one of the emulated 'PSone classic' games, not a HD remake.

While we're at it, what are some PS3 games I should Most Definately buy?
    Apart from some of the games mentioned above by Rii, I have to recommend NIER. It's not a PS3 exclusive, but it's definitely worth a play.

The metascore for this game doesn't do it justice.

Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFNwLxu7XI

Activated Node
    Thanks guys. Think I'll add red dead, uncharted and nier to what I already got. Possibly demon souls if I can find it at a reasonable price ($100 pre-owned? no thanks!). At least I can import from anywhere I want.

Back on topic...kindof. I hope this is a trend that takes off. There's so many older games I loved, but just can't play on a modern TV, and plenty I missed out on from the PSone/N64 era, since half the games were never even released in PAL territory.

Quote Originally Posted by wcaypahwat View Post
    Possibly demon souls if I can find it at a reasonable price ($100 pre-owned? no thanks!)
    OzGameShop has it for AUD $24 delivered.

Mind you the sequel (Dark Souls) will be out shortly...
    Last edited by Rii; 15-09-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Mind you the sequel (Dark Souls) will be out shortly...
    And the Demon's Souls multiplayer servers will be turned off that very day. You can play it offline but it's far from as fun.

You guys mentioned a lot of the better titles already...

wcaypahwat - you've probably already done so, but maybe it's worth checking the playstation store for some old psone titles? The selection's not bad these days (but of course, it's still hundreds out of thousands of released titles). Cheaper than tracking down used copies, too, though you can play psone games on ps3 with the disc.

Resistance - the first one - is just about my favourite console FPS, which I can hesitantly recommend so long as you keep in mind the words console, FPS, what they mean, and what they mean together...

Quote Originally Posted by cjlr View Post
    And the Demon's Souls multiplayer servers will be turned off that very day. You can play it offline but it's far from as fun.
    ... wow. Even EA isn't that evil. I'd already decided that the games weren't for me but there goes any chance of reconsidering that judgement.

Network Hub
    It IS a dick move. I can almost understand it, though. From Software is kinda small, they'd rather not spend the money. It's been two years, and and Dark Souls is supposed to be, like, the 'replacement'... I'd guess there are only a few thousand people playing any given night these days, but it's probably tens of thousands globally.

Still, the original NA run was very small, and the re-release has only been out for a year here; the EU version has also only been out a bit longer than that (16 months?). That's a stupidly short lifetime for any game, let alone one that good.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for devs/pubs on this score. It was their choice to design the game as they did knowing the ongoing burdens it would impose upon them, just as it was their choice to deny gamers the ability to host dedicated servers themselves.

Also, added Child of Eden to my list.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I would like to know what good multiplayer/Co-op games are on the PS3, going to get me an extra controller and start having some games with me girlfriend :)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I would like to know what good multiplayer/Co-op games are on the PS3, going to get me an extra controller and start having some games with me girlfriend :)
    Then you've got to buy some BUZZ! games.
    Also, Portal 2.

I wa thinking of Portal 2 but then I thought it would be a betrayel of PCs to get it on a dirty consle lol ;)

Originally Posted by Harlander
    Is there anything in PS3 emulation about yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I doubt there ever will be tbh. The modern systems are too complicated for tinkerers to get far with it themselves. By the time it's possible I suspect there'll be no point in that there'll be hardware emulation or official software emulation on successor platforms or simply disinterest in the field for one reason or another.
    That's a shame. Not sure I can justify buying a PS3 just for handful of games I'd be interested in. Someone should start a business doing console rentals (like TVs were back in the day).

I thought that was Blockbusters MO now a days if they still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I thought that was Blockbusters MO now a days if they still exist.
    I meant the actual console, not the games. Unless they do that now? Fuck knows the last time tried to rent anything (since I bought a mediaplayer box DVDs seem quaint)

Activated Node
    My store doesn't hire out actual consoles. Not 100% sure why, guessing the profit:risk of theft ratio is too out of balance.

I justified my console purchase with the fact I was after a new media unit (plus there were a few exclusives I wanted to check out). Harder for you, since you already have your media box.

To be honest though, these games are worth checking out even on their ps2 versions... so if they ever got emulation right on those it might be worth looking into. *as long as you fit all the legally ambiguous requirements beforehand, of course

Ah kind of misread you there, yeah that could be great but you would have trouble with what if people just kept the system.

I really kind of regret getting a PS3 I haven't played much of it, I keep meaning to get some games and a controller but really its just money I have to spend which I don't know whether will be worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    I have a copy of SOTC that I got for cheap (somehow) lying around somewhere, but I never played it for some reason that I honestly cant fathom at this point. So yes, I will be getting this. I also just want to take this chance to point out that I would buy the MGS HD collection in a heartbeat if they had included the freaking first game. I seriously do not understand the logic there, especially considering that (I believe) one of the releases (maybe the japanese one?) IS getting an HD version of the first game. So, they have it sitting there. They're just not putting it in the collection. Having never played any of the games, this makes it a bit useless for me.
    It's a much bigger job to get the first game up to standard as it's two generations old. The others are PS2 or PSP games. The Japan release just has a code to download the emulated version off the PSN, which you can get anyway for $10.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Dedicated servers wouldn't really work with Demon's Souls style of multiplayer... Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    It's a much bigger job to get the first game up to standard as it's two generations old.
    Funny thing is that MGS1 was already given a makeover by Silicon Knights for the GCN release The Twin Snakes. Safe to say it's currently caught in rights hell alas...