Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar

How do you sort your games?

So I have quite a few games, but I'm trying to keep my backlog visible so I know what to play if I want to keep chipping away. The problem is, when I had every single game I'd either not played or wanted to finish but hadn't all on one list, I never wanted to play them because the list was so damn long, so I've recently tried to come up with a system that will compartmentalise stuff enough so that I have several smaller, more manageable lists, and this is what I've got so far (actual Steam category names to keep them in a certain alphabetical order):

- Favourites
    - A list of bundle games (for games bought in bundles that I don't feel much need to be fair to)
    - A list of games not yet played (anything that doesn't go in 'bundles', 'series' or 'adventure games')
    - A list of series not yet played (any series that should be played in order to 'get' the story)
    - Adventure games not yet played (any point & clicks since they're entirely story/puzzle-driven)
    - Hidden
    - Games.

I'm trying to think how I could further compartmentalise these things, which is why I'm interested to know how you all sort your games, if at all. I'm thinking I could maybe remove some clutter from Games if I had a category for completed games, another for multiplayer-focused and another for games you can't actually complete, but that doesn't really help the backlog thing. Maybe it's already as compartmentalised as it's going to get?

My current strategy is to keep a list of ten "in progress" games of the single player full playthrough variety, with a feeder list that basically consists of games that I've ever thought "hmm, I should really play/beat this at some point" about. I tend to be really flighty about actually beating anything that doesn't totally capture my attention, so narrowing things down to just a few games helps out a lot.

Beyond that, I have:
    - Rougelites (ie. low commitment pick-up-and-play games)
    - Other pick-up-and-play singleplayer games (mostly rhythm games for when ~40 minutes for a Rougelite is too much)
    - Multiplayer games
    - Co-op games (that I keep permanently installed in case friends want to play)
    - Early Access-type games (because I tend to keep those installed and dip in every so often)
    - Games I stopped halfway through and want to revisit eventually
    - Beaten games that I might want to play again
    - Games I don't plan on playing again

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkChozo View Post
    Beyond that, I have:
    - Rougelites (ie. low commitment pick-up-and-play games)
    - Other pick-up-and-play singleplayer games (mostly rhythm games for when ~40 minutes for a Rougelite is too much)
    - Multiplayer games
    - Co-op games (that I keep permanently installed in case friends want to play)
    - Early Access-type games (because I tend to keep those installed and dip in every so often)
    - Games I stopped halfway through and want to revisit eventually
    - Beaten games that I might want to play again
    - Games I don't plan on playing again
    Almost my list exactly. In this order:
    -Favorites (Mostly games I'm in the process of playing, or keep meaning to come back)
    -"Comfort food": Games I can pick up and play whenever, mostly shmups, fighting games and roguelike/ites.
    -Co-op
    -Multiplayer
    -Games I plan to revisit
    -Games I have not finished or am in the process of playing
    -Games I never want to look at again.
    (And then a bunch of unsorted games at the bottom because I'm lazy)
    Last edited by sabrage; 20-03-2014 at 01:46 AM.

I have a few
    - Finished: Games I have played and completed and uninstalled
    - Short, fun but addicting: Wat it says on the tin
    - Long Term Committments: Ditto
    - Multiplay games
    - Not interested at the moment
    - Disliked
    - Uninstalled

I think thats it, everything fits into one or the other

Activated Node
    Out of interest - how are you guys physically separating your games?

I tried using the Steam categorisation system but it was extremely poor. I have Steam on 2 computers (laptop & desktop) and naively expected that doing it on one would affect the other. It did, eventually, but the categories only stuck for about 20 of the games, leaving the rest of my games uncategorised.

Does it work properly if you only use one PC? Is there a trick to getting it to work on multiple PCs?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Alphabetical.

Minimalism. Nice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerMellie View Post
    I tried using the Steam categorisation system but it was extremely poor. I have Steam on 2 computers (laptop & desktop) and naively expected that doing it on one would affect the other. It did, eventually, but the categories only stuck for about 20 of the games, leaving the rest of my games uncategorised.

Does it work properly if you only use one PC?
    I only have one computer. Depressurizer is a godsend. Presumably you can export the same config to multiple computers if Steam eats your categories.

There is one necessary category I've found to be useful in Steam and I call it "Never Gonna Play." The games just keep piling up, and at some point, you just have to admit to yourself you're never going to play certain games.

Steam categories:
    -Done
    -Unplayed, and will stay that way
    -Games (where currently played and yet-to-be-played games are)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Is there way to remove games out of steam library if you don't like them ???

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    As far as I know, there isn't.

I sort my games alphabetically, both my physical copies and games in my Steam library. I don't divide games into further subcategories, because I don't have too many games on Steam to remember what I have or haven't played.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    You can send a ticket to Steam support and have a game removed completely from your account. Be polite and explain that you understand that you won't be receiving a refund.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2715350
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2807370
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2589968

Personally, I just sort games I don't want to play in a separate category.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Yeah, my 'hidden' category is littered with the unintalled corpses of bundle games, betas, redundant stuff (such as DXHR non-Directors Patch, Batman: GFWL City, etc.) and the still-installed DLC for Race 07 and Arma 2 that annoying shows as individual games. I'm still reluctant to outright remove them from my account, though.

Maybe what I'll do is categorise a few genres - multiplayer centric, best/only played co-op, arcadey score-grabbers/puzzles with no story to care about remembering, sandbox/simulators, etc. - then maybe I'll double them up to sort the ones that fit these categories that I have played from the ones I haven't, but that's going to mean a lot of categories...

I think another key thing is to go through my games and really think about whether I've finished them (some go back four years, maybe more if I played them on an old console or something, like Red Faction for instance) or whether I'll feasibly ever play them again (like Red Faction 2). There's no way I'm going to play all of the ~500 or so games I haven't hidden already, after all. But the problem with that is if I don't keep those games visible I'll forget they're there and then I'll definitely never play them, if you get what I mean. But maybe that's what I need to do... I'm confused.

Thanks for your responses so far, it's interesting to see how you do it. How many of you have, say, over 300 games? Or over 500?

I have four lists:
    Favourites
    Completed
    Multiplayer
    And the rest of the games.

I use mostly steam so I just set my library to show only installed games. That way I see only the games I want/intend to play.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I have four lists:
    Favourites
    Completed
    Multiplayer
    And the rest of the games.

I use mostly steam so I just set my library to show only installed games. That way I see only the games I want/intend to play.
    Essentially this with different names, but adding a coop and fractal (games you don't really finish like roguelikes and simulations I still enjoy)
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I just have:

Campaign in progress
    Completed
    Sandbox
    Multiplayer only
    Yet to play
    Crap - for stuff I've started and will never ever go back to.

Activated Node
    I just keep the games I'm currently playing as favorites on Steam, and show the list of installed games only, as Tikey does. Less clutter and I tend to keep with one game until I finish it.

Activated Node
    All of my installed games are in a folder called 'Games' on my desktop. My backlog and uninstalled games are on a shelf next to me, so I can just turn around and see which game I want to play next.

As for how I decide which game I want to play, I just open the folder and go over the icons.

The shelf itself is sorted in two ways. All the RPGs are stored together. The rest of the games are grouped according to the publisher/developer. So all EA games (Tiberian Sun, Theme Hospital, Dune 2000, etc) are grouped together, usually in ascending order of release year.
    Last edited by Frostbite; 20-03-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    • To Do
    • Done
    • Multiplayer
    • Strategy
    • Puzzle
    • Nevermore

Steam tells me I have 413 games. Add GOG to the set and I'm well over 500.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 20-03-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Obscure Node
    I throw them all in a drawer until im ready to play them.