Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Done & uninstalled
    Not interested
    Games

Activated Node
    For steam I just keep installed games showing and play whatever I mouse over that feels good that day. Desktop has the rest of my games. I don't tend to finish games :( Although if a game grabs me enough I will finish it. Max Payne 1,2, and 3 along with Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory all got finished last month but I'm not even close to doing that this month.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    My organisation efforts are nearly complete, yesterday I added:
    - Completed
    - Completed, would replay
    - A list of sims/racing games
    - A list of casual games

I have a lot of casual games, mostly from bundles, but my god. So many. Now I'm thinking I'll have a category for the opposite of casual games for things like X3 or Arma (I don't have many of those, though), and another category for games I've started and want to finish, of which there are several. I started Metro 2033 in 2011 and still haven't finished it, and Mirror's Edge possibly even before that...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I started to Steam sort some titles:

-Completed
    -Completed, replay
    -Arcade (stuff like Atom Zombie Smasher that you end up playing lots. Civ 5 would work here also)
    -Typical genres, RPG, Tower Defense, etc

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I keep it simple:
    -To do
    -No way
    -The rest

I've set these up as categories on Steam with the to do list at the top, the second is permanently collapsed and the rest are at the bottom, uncategorized, and include games I've played, finished and not played at all, but don't particularly feel like playing. I reserve "no way" for stuff I really do not want to even see, like crap included in some bundles, redundant games and stuff Steam forced down my throat (no I don't want Dota 2).

Network Hub
    Just under

f:\games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    My steam library is ordered thus:

Display Case: My all-time favorites. Things I want to recommend and will re-install and play again every so often.

Incomplete: Games I've started without finishing, and intend to finish. A few unfinishables that I feel I need to get to a certain future point with.

Storage: The stuff I don't want to bother seeing or looking at. Mostly stuff didn't like or couldn't get to run. A few bundle throw-aways I just can't be bothered to play.

Storage (with honors): The stuff I can't really imagine installing again or that don't belong in the Display Case, but that I nonetheless respected. This is where a lot of single player linear games go when I'm done with them.

Unplayed: Games I haven't gotten to yet but want to.

Games: All the rest. Stuff I haven't categorized, unfinishables, etc.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I do genre sorting(on steam), but new stuff first get the "backlog" tag, and then when I've played them I put them in their respective genre boxes. "Played" mostly means "finished", but I cut myself some slack with games that are not traditional linear experiences, as well as ones I simply don't enjoy.

I see many in this thread use more of a priority system of games to play, games to maybe play, games to play again, games never to play again, and similar stuff. I would be interested in doing that, but I'm now fully committed to my system, having sorted all my ~170 steam games under it. Steam really should get itself a generic tag system, allowing the library to sort against all sorts of user-defined criteria, instead of forcing each title to have one and only one label.

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I do genre sorting(on steam) ... I see many in this thread use more of a priority system
    I've done a bit of both. I think I'm finally done with making categories, and this is what I have (numbers according to Big Picture mode):

- Favourites - 20 games
    - Bundle games not yet played (i.e. entirely disposable since they probably cost under £1 each) - 12
    - Casual games (anything either endless or easy to pick up and play with a story I don't care about) - 107
    - Games not yet played - 67
    - Games to finish - 32
    - Multiplayer (that's a genre, right?) - 27
    - Series not yet played (only if you have to play the series in order to get the story of the later ones) - 54
    - Sims & Racing games (because I play and own a lot of these) - 43
    - Adventure games not yet played - 27
    - Completed - 17
    - Completed - would replay - 26
    - Various emulators (Gameboy, Gamecube, Mega Drive II/32X/Sega CD, N64, PS1/2/P, S/NES)
    - Hidden - 112
    - Games - 80.

The idea is that I've prioritised games I haven't played yet, those I want to finish and those I have finished. For everything else I've split them into different reasons, if you like, why I won't or can't finish them, which happen to be divisible into very vague pseudo-genres.

Also I'd probably go mad if I had to assign a specific genre to a lot of my casual games, a lot of them defy categorisation entirely.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Man.

Y'all be crazy. How many games do you people buy? :D

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Man.

How many DO I buy, how many HAVE I bought or how many do I POSSESS?

Gifts, bundles, sales ... it's kinda complicated. I'm lucky enough to have enough spare money to have built a rather expansive collection in combination with a great deal of thrift. But I've migrated my spending over to board games which is slower going since they don't go on sale for $5.00 4 times a year. :P

I've also reached critical mass. I own enough games that I don't need new games just because they look fun to play. I have plenty of things that are fun to play and quite a few I haven't worked my way around to yet. So even if I had 10 times the budget for games I probably wouldn't be buying very many video games anymore. Just cool ones here and there that do something particularly interesting to me in one way or another--not necessarily just novel mechanics--a familiar game particularly well made will do just as a book that's a familiar story particularly well told will also do.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 24-03-2014 at 07:15 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Man.

Loads, but the bulk of them were bought in 2012 when I had more disposable income and the sales were better. Also I think I had nearly 200 games from bundles, last time I counted. I wish I could sell my Steam account for even half of what I paid for everything and re-buy only the games I really want...

But I can't, so I might as well try to play everything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I mainly use genre categories on Steam, because it helps me quickly find a game with the same kind of gameplay that I recently enjoyed and want more of. Outside of Steam I have three groups of icons on my desktop, which are: Favourites, Play This Year, and Other. Inevitably the first consists mostly of online multiplayer games (and OpenTTD).
    I think the number of games on my Steam account really exploded in 2012 and early 2013. There were some great sales and great bundles that year, a large portion of which I hardly even started. I'm now, like gwathdring, at a point where I don't buy many more games at all. I think I bought one or two this year. Probably for less than Ä5 each.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Man.

My amount of games on Steam is not nearly as large as those some of the others have, but it's mainly the bundles. Every bundle adds 10 or 12 games, for very little money. Not that I'll ever play all the games in a particular bundle.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Also I'd probably go mad if I had to assign a specific genre to a lot of my casual games, a lot of them defy categorisation entirely.
    I have a few vague catch-all categories for stuff like that. "Puzzle" can be almost anything, and I place both close relatives and distant cousins of roguelikes in "Dungeons". "Adventure" and "Arcade" are also very flexible. My secret weapon though, is my "Esoteric" tag. Aside from sounding stupidly pretentious, it allows me to collect various unrelated neat stuff in the same bin. It's all very gratuitous, but the main point is of course that I know where stuff is. Most of the time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    After reading your posts I decided to sort my steam library too.

So favourites is games i might replay during next few weeks
    Finished features games i either beat or played enough to considered that im done with it
    Not gonna play: self explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    After reading your posts I decided to sort my steam library too.

So favourites is games i might replay during next few weeks
    Finished features games i either beat or played enough to considered that im done with it
    Not gonna play: self explanatory.
    That's really what I wanted my system to be like, but neurosis took over and it's a touch more complicated now. :P

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    My secret weapon though, is my "Esoteric" tag.
    Nice workaround, I like it!

As for knowing where stuff is, I... Don't have a clue right now. I know what my favourites are, but most other things could be anywhere. So far this hasn't been a problem as I've just been on autopilot and picking stuff according to how it's categorised, but when the day comes when I want to play something specific I guess I can just type it into the search box. This isn't the first time I've tried sorting my games, the first attempt resulted in maybe two or three tiny lists and then the huuuuuge 'games' list so it was entirely pointless because I'd skip over the small ones when looking to play something, but now they seem quite well-balanced so I imagine it'll stick this time. I'll have to stay disciplined to sort new games as and when they're added, played or completed, too.

Favorites = now playing like anybody else
    ! Finished = finished games
    ! Never Ending - FTL, Torchlight, TS2014, etc
    ! Retired - will not finish

The rest is sorted according to either genre (e.g. Scary & Eerie) or publisher (e.g. Paradox)
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Alphabetically. Names are much easier to recall than genres, how much I enjoyed them at the time, etc.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus