Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Alphabetically. Names are much easier to recall than genres, how much I enjoyed them at the time, etc.
    That's where the search feature comes in!

Outside of Steam, though, I just order in a single directory by title.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    That's where the search feature comes in!

Outside of Steam, though, I just order in a single directory by title.
    If the library feature auto-focused on the search box I might use it, but I prefer to scroll otherwise.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    So much stupidity could be avoided if steam just had a tag system for your own games. They have it in the store, so should be no big problem to implement, really.

The most annoying feature of the search function is that every time you use it, all of your categories will expand.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I combine two or more of this attributes:

- How grindy is a game.
    - Singleplayer/Coop/multiplayer
    - Easy / Dump / Hard
    - Ignore / TODO / done

So I have a category like:
    - Fun dumb grind coop
    - Hard grind multiplayer
    - Boring grinding singleplayer

I have found that these are the things I want to know when choosing a game to play, on my very long backlog.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I thought I'd stick my head in here as I'm lurking with enthusiasm...

Some people might remember I started to develop a 'game manager and launcher' thing last year - I got a long way through it but I ran into some fundamental issues which I'd basically summarise as

"Everyone does it differently - everyone has a strong opinion - no-one wants to use anyone else's approach"

with a bit of avec in terms of

"People don't really want to put any effort into it either"(*)

I abandoned it until I got an "epiphany moment" - it's not happened yet - keep feeding it tho!

(*) apart from a small number of people who I suspect buy games JUST to organise them - rather than actually play them!

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I thought I'd stick my head in here as I'm lurking with enthusiasm...

Some people might remember I started to develop a 'game manager and launcher' thing last year - I got a long way through it but I ran into some fundamental issues which I'd basically summarise as

"Everyone does it differently - everyone has a strong opinion - no-one wants to use anyone else's approach"

with a bit of avec in terms of

"People don't really want to put any effort into it either"(*)

I abandoned it until I got an "epiphany moment" - it's not happened yet - keep feeding it tho!

(*) apart from a small number of people who I suspect buy games JUST to organise them - rather than actually play them!
    Since everyone wants to do it differently, the silver bullet is of course a very flexible system where you can pick and choose and customize the thing to your liking.

If that's the case, why not include a ton of presets so that it's just a matter of picking the one closer to your style?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I only have one computer. Depressurizer is a godsend. Presumably you can export the same config to multiple computers if Steam eats your categories.
    Thanks for the heads up on this - I'll give it a try.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I combine two or more of this attributes:

- How grindy is a game.
    - Singleplayer/Coop/multiplayer
    - Easy / Dump / Hard
    - Ignore / TODO / done

So I have a category like:
    - Fun dumb grind coop
    - Hard grind multiplayer
    - Boring grinding singleplayer

I have found that these are the things I want to know when choosing a game to play, on my very long backlog.
    Cool. I like it. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have 2 categories of games. 1- Games in my steam library that I haven't played. 2 - Games I bought on other services and have forgotten about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    If that's the case, why not include a ton of presets so that it's just a matter of picking the one closer to your style?
    Problem is that creating software which has a massive range of options and presets just makes that software complex, unapproachable and expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Since everyone wants to do it differently, the silver bullet is of course a very flexible system where you can pick and choose and customize the thing to your liking.
    My approach had been to make the whole thing modular and allow people to only use the bits they wanted.

The problem was - from the feedback I was getting, no-one wanted to do any 'work' at all, they wanted an off-the-shelf solution to their specific requirements (which were, in almost all cases, completely unique!)

I don't have a particular method to sort games from lits, but when it comes to shooters i can get picky and get the ones i'm more addicted to. Multiplatform wise i get very little, it looks like dark souls 2 and child of light are the most interesting things this month if not the whole year if it wasn't for The Witness and maybe Alien: Isolation. I tend to burn prequels just before sequels are released so that's probably the reason i never got a proper list and easily end into the favourites cycle.

So yeah this is how it goes for me if stages were made into lists:

-action/shooter/platform (mainly multiplayer stuff)
    -prequels followed by sequels
    -favourites/games to kill the time/mods cycle
    Last edited by Wenz; 02-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I decided yesterday that expansion packs (namely Doom and Quake mission packs) do not count as separate games. My backlog is looking shorter by the day... Shame it's just one of five backlogs, really.

I've just realised you can't have empty categories, so I'm going to have to keep an unplayed game in each backlog until I get more to replace it. If I had OCD that could result in infinite loop...

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I decided yesterday that expansion packs (namely Doom and Quake mission packs) do not count as separate games. My backlog is looking shorter by the day... Shame it's just one of five backlogs, really.

I've just realised you can't have empty categories, so I'm going to have to keep an unplayed game in each backlog until I get more to replace it. If I had OCD that could result in infinite loop...
    It's the cornflakes and milk dilemma, exported into the digital age.

Activated Node
    I have few lists of games, which I keep outside of steam due to many limitations mentioned before in this thread.
    the lists are:

• not played
    • not played & less likely to be ever played
    • not played & unlikely to be ever played
    • played & enjoyed
    • played & couldn't get into
    • wishlisted
    • to be released & interesting (keep an eye on)
    • might be interesting game, have to check reviews/gameplays (if 'approved', goes to wishlisted)

This helps me keep track of what I have/want to play and (somewhat succesfully) ensure I only buy games I will play.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Can I cheekily foist an idea in here??

Imagine there was a way of determining your game collection from a mixture of importing your Steam/Desura/Gog collections, selecting Bundles you've bought and even 'manually inputting' stuff.

Imagine your collection then appearing much like an 'explorer' or 'finder' window - with icons representing games - and with folders to put them into such as

Games Playing
    Games Completed
    Games Abandoned
    Games Unplayed (perhaps just everything which isn't in the others?)

Would that fit anyone's idea of a game organiser/backlog manager - or is it more complex in your eyes?

Can I cheekily foist an idea in here??

Imagine there was a way of determining your game collection from a mixture of importing your Steam/Desura/Gog collections, selecting Bundles you've bought and even 'manually inputting' stuff.

Imagine your collection then appearing much like an 'explorer' or 'finder' window - with icons representing games - and with folders to put them into such as
    i would love this^, but my top lvl sort is by genre.
    edit: could just use a "recently played" intro up top
    Last edited by cardinaldirection; 04-04-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Genre is a can of worms-and-a-half - no 2 people will agree on that for any sort of game ;0

Of course you can let people define their own - I think most people have a good idea of that - but when I started to talk about genres is when people really overwhelmed me with what I can only describe was 'wanting the impossible - squared" :)

i cant speak for anybody else, but you could just provide me with genre tags, letting me assign them myself. this would permit sorting by genre; and i see no reason why a game couldn't have multiple tags. hell, you could let people create their own tags as well. a "recently played" intro section up top would be handy too. im a user experience architect if you want help. i think an app that automatically polls the standard db's you mentioned, and maybe a file structure too, would be quite viable.

Genre is a can of worms-and-a-half - no 2 people will agree on that for any sort of game ;0

Of course you can let people define their own - I think most people have a good idea of that - but when I started to talk about genres is when people really overwhelmed me with what I can only describe was 'wanting the impossible - squared" :)