Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I guess you redditors were already aware of this weeks ago, so for anyone else still living in the stone age:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Ste...88230388336240
    Holy RA, it is true. It doesn't even break Pixelvision.

Much better than than, there are also other long standing fixes.
    The browser is truly better (perhaps they learned how to cache things properly), and on Linux the right click menu on the tray icon doesn't slow down the entire OS.
    The client continues in its inexorable path to world domination.

EDIT: You can even install multiple games at the same time. Finally a use for all that real-estate.
    EDIT~2: There's also Music, in case your Steam installation REALLY lack that kitchen sink. Useless for everything except SteamOS, and even then. Just use Clementine.
    Last edited by somini; 24-07-2014 at 04:07 AM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    • Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time
    • In desktop library details, list, and small views, games can be multiply selected using shift-click and control-click and certain operations can be performed on the group
    FINALLY! Thank the#@$*#%^@##$!))$(**72!(#%7!(&#$(!#%%$ stars, finally.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    EDIT: You can even install multiple games at the same time. Finally a use for all that real-estate.
    Wait, you can download multiple games at once again? I was miffed when they took that feature away.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Wait, you can download multiple games at once again? I was miffed when they took that feature away.
    Yup. You now multi-select them and can just install 'em all. Useful to keep a tag "Always installed" and then install them all in one swoop when in a new PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thank the fucking lord. Now my wife has started playing steam games, and she's a fiend for 2d platformers, but I don't want to separate 2D platformers from my completion category.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Yup. You now multi-select them and can just install 'em all. Useful to keep a tag "Always installed" and then install them all in one swoop when in a new PC.
    Wait ... they didn't change the download queue though. So it just means you can START multiple installs at once. Still very good and important, but I'm still miffed they took away simultaneous downloading.

Wait ... they didn't change the download queue though. So it just means you can START multiple installs at once. Still very good and important, but I'm still miffed they took away simultaneous downloading.
    As far as I understand, it's like gwathdring says: you can queue multiple games, but you can't download them simultaneously.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

That is correct.

Activated Node
    Whoah shit, I was thinking about aving steam implement its tags on your own library, but this is just as good too. Delicious. Finally I can properly have Dark Souls categorized.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Does anyone know how long it will take for this to be implemented?

Does that actually make a difference for you guys? Steam is usually able to fill my downstream with one game at a time, but it's just a plain ADSL2+ line.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Does anyone add non-Steam games and launch from from Steam?

I've not tried that for about 18 months but it used-to-be terrible - it would lose games, duplicate (and triplicate and worse) games and generally be 'hopeless'??

I'm not confident it's something they'll have fixed - hardly in their interest and they don't fix actual problems with THEIR games so...???

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I've not tried that for about 18 months but it used-to-be terrible - it would lose games, duplicate (and triplicate and worse) games and generally be 'hopeless'??
    Now that you mention it, I did have a similar problem years back, but it's been working fine for so long I can't even remember.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    FINALLY! Thank the#@$*#%^@##$!))$(**72!(#%7!(&#$(!#%%$ stars, finally.
    Yes, the stars are right.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Does that actually make a difference for you guys? Steam is usually able to fill my downstream with one game at a time, but it's just a plain ADSL2+ line.
    It used to make a difference sometimes, but when they implemented the queue they seem to have changed the way they schedule bandwidth from their servers, too. I think they're throttling differently as they get larger so even if a single download doesn't max me out a lot of the time ... I don't know that Steam would change that were they to reimplement simultaneous downloads now.

Suppose Steam maxes your bandwidth. In theory, those files are likely hosted in multiple places to reduce the strain on any one source as steam hosts (or through-puts to the hosting of) a LOT of games. So in theory downloading the same number of files from several sources at once would allow you to take advantage of fluctuations in traffic to any one source better by compensating with available bandwidth drawing faster speed from files that have less traffic even as traffic gives you less access to other files.

In theory. At best, it's better to go simultaneous, then. At worst, it should be about equal. Miffed was an intentionally light word. It's not a big deal and more than anything I liked the ... sensation of control and efficiency.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Does anyone add non-Steam games and launch from from Steam?
    I do, I've got a load of emulated games in there, Intruder, Elite: Dangerous, ETS2 MP, Escape Velocity: Nova... I used to have loads of trouble with all my shortcuts being erased if I ever logged in on my Mac, but it seems to be ok now. At one point I had all my GOG, GamersGate, Desura and other games on there too but using ICE to add all the emulator games wiped the lot.

So in theory downloading the same number of files from several sources at once would allow you to take advantage of fluctuations in traffic to any one source better by compensating with available bandwidth drawing faster speed from files that have less traffic even as traffic gives you less access to other files.
    The Linux version of the Steam client has curl among its dependencies which is mildly supportive of my conjecture that it might be using segmented downloading even though it's just one game at a time.

It would make sense to download one game at a time (IF they can saturate the downstream) because you could have the game you want ASAP without having to mess with a queue or priorities (which would increase the complexity of the Steam UI and possibly their support load)

The Linux version of the Steam client has curl among its dependencies which is mildly supportive of my conjecture that it might be using segmented downloading even though it's just one game at a time.
    Ah. Cool. :)

It would make sense to download one game at a time (IF they can saturate the downstream) because you could have the game you want ASAP without having to mess with a queue or priorities (which would increase the complexity of the Steam UI and possibly their support load)
    It would makes sense to have the option if they can't saturate the downstream. My most typical download situation isn't a new game, but a bunch of updates all happening at once. In such a scenario, often I just want all the updates to finish ASAP; my primary concern then is total efficiency rather than getting a specific update to finish first.

Again, they don't seem to saturate my downstream and also:

At best, it's better to go simultaneous, then. At worst, it should be about equal. Miffed was an intentionally light word. It's not a big deal and more than anything I liked the ... sensation of control and efficiency.
    :) It's partially just an irrational thing.

It would makes sense to have the option if they can't saturate the downstream. My most typical download situation isn't a new game, but a bunch of updates all happening at once. In such a scenario, often I just want all the updates to finish ASAP; my primary concern then is total efficiency rather than getting a specific update to finish first.
    My (admittedly implied) point being that if they're already using multi-channel/segmented/etc downloading, and your downstream isn't saturated already (or close to it), there's probably a different reason. Maybe they have a per-user cap, maybe it's load, but there are other possible explanations (e.g. if you have an asymmetric line, you might need to minimize your outgoing traffic to maximize the download speed)

This is all assumptions but should be easy to verify, just get some tool that shows connections (there are free, good ones for Windows too), and start a download, count connections.

Activated Node
    Install, delete

Best Regards,
    RG