Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hunternet

Join the community forums to get access to early builds before the official public alpha.
    Why is Hunternet a lifelong game? My first interview with MMO Games just went live.

Can a lone wolf take on the horde?
    Up to 700 teams of any size can be forged on the battlefield. Large teams are not guaranteed an advantage, lead an army, form an elite squad or go it alone, you decide. Find out in Hunternet:

Players, 700 Teams, 7 Minutes, 1 Unusual Shooter - Hunternet

Hunternet Daily #9: Mojo Dojo, new Hunternet video series is coming

For additional videos see following posts or visit the Hunternet YouTube channel.

Features:
    For more details visit the official website and the community forum.

• Designed to beat the Indie Multiplayer Curse
    • Zero luck, 100% skill based, no leveling, everyone is on equal footing
    • Fifteen unique player abilities with minimum overlap, instead of many variations of the same thing
    • Fast and varied movement mechanics, separate from abilities
    • Challenging shooting, no hit scan, simulated projectiles with momentum, aiming requires leading your target
    • Larger single battles than any other MMOFPS with no view limits
    • Form and dissolve teams on the battlefield
    • Choose your approach, large teams are not guaranteed an advantage
    • Use stealth, team deception, and indirect abilities to outsmart your competition
    • AI mobs integrated into PvP for your strategic use
    • 150 avatars to choose from with plans for a Mii like creator
    • No graphic violence allows players of all ages to play together
    • Friendly fire demands caution, no spray and pray
    • One big party & no waiting, not isolated by matchmaking
    • Not a release and forget game, but a life long living game
    • Not "free-to-play" and no subscriptions
    • Stable client & low system requirements for hassle free play
    • Many more surprises and features to be revealed

Design Diagram:
    Last edited by cpudreams; 12-02-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Hello my name is Fernando Zapata, I am the developer of Hunternet a recently revealed MMOFPS. I've spent the last five years working full time trying to develop my dream game. There aren't to many MMOFPS out there and I think one developed by a single developer is even more rare, so if you are at all interested in the genre I hope you'll take a look :)

The best bit of coverage Hunternet has managed to get has been from Massively. I've answered a lot of questions in the comments there and even had an exchange with one of the network engineers from PlanetSide and H1Z1! If you are interested in Hunternet I recommend you check it out. You can also find out more about the game and my plans on its website. I've just started talking about the game, so there is a ton that has yet to be covered. But I am happy to discuss any of it with you guys here :). Since RPS has a strong PlanetSide presence I am particularly interested in your feedback and questions.

Hunternet is an oddball shooter and mechanically it is neither a military shooter nor an arena style shooter. Every week I have forced myself to question the conventions of the genre and my own design. The idea is to create a new design not based on the past or on a particular theme but a purely on the mechanics. The goal has been to design a game that plays well in an empty featureless room and a 1v1 scenario all the way up to a 700 player battle in a complex battlefield.

Sometimes the friendly cartoony look of the graphics gives people the impression that this is a simple & easy game, but the opposite is true. It is design to be 100% skill based, with zero random elements, and no level or xp systems. Everyone is on equal footing and shooting is challenging and skill based. All projectiles are 100% simulated and inherit 100% of your momentum. The movement system is high speed and flexible so it is not easy to hit your target, you will need to learn deflection shooting. The game also features 15 different abilities each very different from the other which has lead to many emergent behaviours and tactics :). I'm trying to build a game that I will love to continue playing and developing for years and hopefully decades to come.

I'm eager to have a conversation and will happily answer your questions :).

For additional videos see following posts or visit the Hunternet playlist on YouTube.

Since Hunternet does not employ server side culling or visibility limits you could have a have aircraft track and shoot targets thousands of kilometers away or have all 700 players fighting in a single porta potty ;) One day I may add modding support and you could make Porta Potty vs F-15s the MMO shooter :D
    Last edited by cpudreams; 19-01-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Network Hub
    700 players will fight, but what kind of map type? Deathmatch? Territory holding or something else?

Hey Gmaz, thanks for your interest :). It's something else. As it is currently coded it is capture point (territory) based with the added ability of stealing capture points by destroying other players and then picking up their wreckage before they or their teammates get to it. I'm changing that to something else, because I think capture points have already been well explored and I wanted to stay true to my design goals and experiment with something new. I'm about to eat dinner but I'll get back here later and give you details on how the new goal will work. Just to give you a hint, it is related to the "7 minutes" line in the trailer.

*** Sorry will post the details tomorrow, its gotten a bit too late. ***
    Last edited by cpudreams; 10-11-2014 at 06:19 AM.

This is how matches are currently planned. Each player starts with 100 points of on board energy and N*100 points of energy in the bank. Every action in the game use some of a player's on board energy. When on board energy is below 100 it recharges by withdrawing energy a players energy bank. If your on board energy goes below 0 you are destroyed and leave behind some wreckage. The first player to pick up your wreckage will get an energy bonus that is added to their energy bank. Some maps may also include optional control points. Players standing on a control point will receive energy directly to their energy bank. Some maps may also include AI controlled mobs these can also destroyed and their wreckages collected for energy. Any player who's on board energy goes below zero and has an empty energy bank will have lost the match and convert into a ghost spectator. The last player or team with energy left in their bank is the winner of the match. If the match has not ended after 7 minutes a constant drain factor will begin to slowly drain the energy out of the remaining players energy banks. This continues until a single surviving team or individual is left.

The idea is instead of having to separate resources "health" and "victory points" you have a single resource energy and it serves both purposes. This leads to greater interplay between different parts of the game. If any of you have ever played bomberman the 7 minute rule is similar to how bomberman starts destroying the outer borders of the battle field to force a match to conclusion :D

The game will also track the results of multiple matches. So if your team wins a match there is an incentive for the same team to win the next match. It works the same way something like Street Fighter where a single game is determined by the a best of X rounds. So the goal is to be the first team or individual to win n-consecutive rounds, only then will you or your team have won the contest.

Let me know what you think Gmaz or if you have any other questions :D

Just wanted to let any PlanetSide players out, that there is also a thread in the lounge at planetside-universe.com. The thread has some more details about the game mechanics in case you are interested :D

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...d.php?p=960056

The official website has been updated and a new community forum has just been launched. Here is the new features list:

• Designed to beat the Indie Multiplayer Curse
    • Zero luck, 100% skill based, no leveling, everyone is on equal footing
    • Fifteen unique player abilities with minimum overlap, instead of many variations of the same thing
    • Fast and varied movement mechanics, separate from abilities
    • Challenging shooting, no hit scan, simulated projectiles with momentum, aiming requires leading your target
    • Larger single battles than any other MMOFPS with no view limits
    • Form and dissolve teams on the battlefield
    • Choose your approach, large teams are not guaranteed an advantage
    • Use stealth, team deception, and indirect abilities to outsmart your competition
    • AI mobs integrated into PvP for your strategic use
    • 150 avatars to choose from with plans for a Mii like creator
    • No graphic violence allows players of all ages to play together
    • Friendly fire demands caution, no spray and pray
    • One big party & no waiting, not isolated by matchmaking
    • Not a release and forget game, but a life long hobby
    • Not "free-to-play" and no subscriptions
    • Stable client & low system requirements for hassle free play
    • Many more surprises and features to be revealed

Here is one of my favorite features in Hunternet that I am dying to try out with 700 players. One of the 15 abilities in the game is Teleport. You can use it to teleport to any terrain that you can hit, or switch locations with an opponent after hitting them. But my favorite use of it is what happens when you hit a teammate with it.

If you hit a teammate with teleport you will shrink down in size and your teammate will become your transport, while you will function as a turret that can provide covering fire from any direction. While that is already pretty cool, what I really love about it is that there is no limit to how many friendly turrets a single player can carry. So if you had 300 or even 700 players on a team you could have a single transport with hundreds of times the firepower of a single player :D! Imagine what a battle a between a handful of hundred-player-motherships would look like :)

If you loved the web-swinging in Spider-Man 2 or a fan of the anime Hunter x Hunter, check out this test video of the Bungee ability in Hunternet. I found web-swinging in Hunternet to be quite addictive and had to force myself to stop while developing Hunterent :). The bungee is a multipurpose tool inspired by Hisoka's bungee-gum abilities.

Heads up Hunternet's first live stream will take place this Wednesday, November 26 at 8PM CST. The live stream will be hosted by twitch and you can subscribe to be emailed when it goes live here.

My friend will be joining and we will demo the basic abilities and movement in some one on one combat. I will answer any questions and demonstrate them live in the game.

Hunternet's first live stream has been uploaded to YouTube :). Watch for Hunternet's first gameplay footage, a quick overview of abilities, and some one vs one combat :) As always, any comments are welcome!

I'm working on my first article. Here are some diagrams from my work in progress, that I thought I should share :)

Last edited by cpudreams; 05-01-2015 at 05:07 AM.

Heads up, play Hunternet for the first time live this Wednesday December 17 at 8PM CST during Hunternet's second twitch stream event:http://www.twitch.tv/cpudreams

Hunternet Daily #1 - Top Down Controls

Hunterent is an MMOFPS but also an MMO top down shooter:

My first of hopefully many daily video devlogs. Covers the most recent additions to Hunternet.

Does your shooter have hit stun?

Why are balls interesting?

Is there no justice!?

Vengeance is like fire!

Rocket Jumping for Dummies

Activated Node
    Hey CPUDreams -

Just curious - What engine are you using?

Most commercial engines these days are often pretty closed off or unable to handle mmos like hunternet with 700 players.

What language is this written in?

Would you be willing to open source or license out the tech behind hunternet?

I have my own crazy Idea for an MMO but current tech I am using is miles behind.

Let me know if we can arrange something. :)