Crowd-sourced PC RPG Book

EDIT 2: 200-page preview out: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com...review-2-1.pdf

Fellow RPG fans, hello!

My name is Felipe, and I'm currently working on a crowd-sourced book on cRPGs. After organizing the RPG Codex's Top 70 list, I decided to expand that into a full blown book.

The idea is to feature in-depth reviews of over 250 great cRPGs in chronological order, from Akalabeth to Might & Magic X, plus interesting articles on the genre and interviews. All that written by RPG fans from all over the world, compiled into a beautiful book with big a colored screenshots. It is a book showing what the genre has best, and how people enjoy them. A book that every review that you read you will see that it was important for the reviewer and want to play the game he just talked.

So far I've got some big developers in, like Ian S. Frazier (lead designer on the next Mass Effect) Tim Cain, Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer and Colin McComb. I also got full support and access to the content of forums like the RPG Codex and RPG Watch (including some stuff from RPGdot), DJ Old Games, some indie developers like Iron Tower Studios, Sinister Design and Rampant Games, as well as bloggers such as cRPG Addict and modders like Durante and Wesp5.

Here's a small WIP preview: http://imgur.com/a/i3WrU

The entire project is entirely non-profit, so the final e-book will be freely available for download, under Creative Commons and all that. And if everything goes well I intend to make a paperback print also available, fully colored and in high-quality print, for those that want one. Non-profit as well, of course, sold at cost price.

My call for aid

Here's the list of games that will be in: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...54VibI/pubhtml

I'm looking for fans willing to write a review of one or two of the listed games still unassigned. You can, of course, also suggest games that should be added. ;)

BEFORE starting to write, please post on the thread about what will you do, PM me or send an e-mail to crpgbook at gmail.com. Someone might have already taken the game, or I might have extra details to discuss.

Thanks all for your time! :)
    Last edited by felipepepe; 06-07-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Seems like a good idea, though I'd be more interested in the behind the scenes than in actual reviews, per se. The pity is that although this is the right part of the forum to post, it's the path less travelled and most people will miss it. Hmm.

I looked at your sample pages and the layout looks good, though you'll have to have a strong editorial hand if you're going to have articles from multiple authors. Presumably you've already sorted out contracts, or have it on the to-do list. That sort of thing used to be the bane of fiction anthologies back when I paid attention to such things.

You should email the RPS staff and see if you can get a plug. It really looks like a worthy project.

Now, if I was doing it I wouldn't be trying to write a history of RPGs from the early days to the present (which will be a good year out of date by the time you get published, somewhat less out of date for ebook editions, I guess), I'd be using an examination of old RPGs to show how they compare to modern games, often to comical effect, and how they may be changing back again. That'd be the hook.
    Last edited by frightlever; 30-05-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks for your interest. :)

You should email the RPS staff and see if you can get a plug. It really looks like a worthy project.
    I'll be releasing a 50 page preview in a month or so, then I'll e-mail RPS and other media websites for some attention, to help finish the remaining reviews.

Having a RPG headline "Here's your chance to appear on a book alongside Chris Avellone and Scorpia!" would draw too many people wanting to write anything, the low profile at this early stage serves me well, as only people really interested volunteer.

Now, if I was doing it I wouldn't be trying to write a history of RPGs from the early days to the present (which will be a good year out of date by the time you get published, somewhat less out of date for ebook editions, I guess), I'd be using an examination of old RPGs to show how they compare to modern games, often to comical effect, and how they may be changing back again. That'd be the hook.
    Oh, but I will cover that as well, in the reviews thenselves, talking about what the game had of innovation and how influential it was. I also intend to have an article on the "sub-genres" of RPGs, where they started, the key games and hwo they are today.

And online publshing is quite fast, I intend to have the paperback & e-book out before the end of the year, incluiding any major release, like Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    You're right about having too much publicity, I think. Anyway, best of luck with it. I'll likely pick up a copy in due time - make a Christmas present of it to myself.

Interesting selection of games. How many words per review are you managing? (given your format, how many words is a one page review for example?
    Also are there any editorial guidelines?

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    How many words per review are you managing? (given your format, how many words is a one page review for example?
    One page reviews are about 450 words, the two page reviews are about 700. But that's the average, it can increase or decrease, depending on how many screenshots there are, developer quote, infobox and all that... I discuss those with each reviewer.

Also are there any editorial guidelines?
    Reviews should give some historical context, explain how the game actually plays and then tell why it's great and should be played. I'm aiming for a personal and passionate tone, but flaws should obviously be pointed out.

Not much besides that, really. I don't want to constrain the reviewers, and so far it's paying of with some very amusing texts.

Quote Originally Posted by felipepepe View Post
    Reviews should give some historical context, explain how the game actually plays and then tell why it's great and should be played. I'm aiming for a personal and passionate tone, but flaws should obviously be pointed out.

Not much besides that, really. I don't want to constrain the reviewers, and so far it's paying of with some very amusing texts.
    Sounds quite sensible. Seems like the best focus for a project like this.

Best of luck with it.

Got a small article about the project on Kotaku this week: http://kotaku.com/this-guy-is-compil...w-o-1635519004

I'm trying to contact the RPS staff, but no luck so far... anyone have tips in how to better do this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus QuantaCat's Avatar
    let me ask for you.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it." - The Conclave

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    let me ask for you.
    Thanks! :)

While I'm grateful for Kotaku's article, there's so much more to be said here. More than Chris Avellone, I managed to contact many other developers and industry figures, and they agreed to help the project.

People like Scorpia, Johnny L. Wilson, Ian S. Frazier, Warren Spector, Tim Cain, Colin McComb, Josh Sawyer, Craig Stern, Vince D. Weller, Durante, Wesp5 and many other have all agreed to take part in the project, writing articles, reviews or just with interviews. Many already sent their texts.

This is not just an "idea" or "project", it's very real and it's happening. :D

Oh, yeah. Well I got a response from Jim.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it." - The Conclave

Oh, yeah. Well I got a response from Jim.
    And was it a good response?

sometimes hard to tell with Jim, but atleast it wasnt a negative one :D
    - Tom De Roeck.

sometimes hard to tell with Jim, but atleast it wasnt a negative one :D
    Good enough for me, thanks. :)

I just finished putting a website together for the project, those interested in updates or previews please check it out: https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/

If someone is still checking this, we just released a 100-page preview of the book. :)

Grab it here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/66nybf...ok_Preview.pdf

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to check it out.

Not sure if many people will still check this thread, but we've recently released our second preview, now with 200 pages: https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com...review-2-1.pdf