Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Good gaming laptops

I'm currently in the process of moving to Australia in the end of the year, if all goes well. I've been thinking of selling my desktop and buying a good gaming laptop, what do you guys recommend?

On another note, I have no idea how Australian prices go for computer parts. Probably nothing like Brazil where everything is ridiculously expensive, so maybe I could try getting a new desktop over there when I move. If anyone knows how the market is over there, I'd appreciate some advice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Depends what you want.

I'm currently running a gigabyte P34G and am absoltuley trhilled with it.
    A sub-2kg, 14" gaming machine. However, it's a lot of money and while pleasingly fast, not blindingly so.
    For the same money, you can get more power if you are happy with bigger.

For ergonomics and price-per-performance though, you can't beat having a desktop -so if that's what you like, and you are staying put after you move...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    For ergonomics and price-per-performance though, you can't beat having a desktop -so if that's what you like, and you are staying put after you move...
    Yeah, that's what I'm considering. I should stay there for at least three years to finish the doctorate program, so a desktop could be a better deal. I'm concerned only with the prices over there, as living with a scholarship does not allow for much spending.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I bought this:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.p...el_name=NP7358

The new 8xx series GPUs from nvidia just came out, luckily bought right when they became available.

Did not buy from Sager, but a reseller in US, of which there are a few to choose from. EU: I believe it sells under the name Clevo.

Regular US price was $1019 from where I bought

Customized +$35 for upgraded 4810MQ i7 from 4700MQ i7 (at $100 mark down)

+$135 to replace 750 GB HDD with 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD

+$35 for some better thermal compound on CPU and GPU that I hope actually makes a difference

Total $1224
    Last edited by rockman29; 26-03-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Hi there friend, welcome to Australia :) What city are you going to?
    I'm in Brisbane (QLD) but tech pricing in this country is more or less the same across the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Fontan View Post
    I'm concerned only with the prices over there, as living with a scholarship does not allow for much spending.
    Prices aren't cheap like the US, but they're probably not as expensive as Brazil. I don't really know average wages or things like that for your country, so I don't know if I can really compare it. I'm guessing though that our prices will probably be better, though your BRL is fairly weak against our AUD, so any money you bring with you won't be worth very much. If you're getting paid a scholarship, it won't be overly generous but they usually make allowances for having to buy tech, so combined with money you bring with you, you can probably buy a decent desktop.

High-end laptops (i.e. the ones that will comfortably play games) run between $1,500 AUD (for a fairly low-end one) up to $3,000. You could build a competent desktop for significantly less than that (I'd estimate about $1000 AUD, although that's also fairly modest) by buying the parts and assembling it yourself. Pre-built systems often come with a pretty hefty premium over here, unless it's low-end stuff. If you're confident with bargaining, you might be able to go into a local retailer and haggle a good deal out of them on a slightly older high-end laptop with a dedicated GPU - our retail sector is struggling against cheap online sites, so some of them will can be beaten down if they're desperate.

Just remember to shop around - prices can vary wildly between stores. Some stores have little in the way of competition in their local area and will change you obscene prices. Hell, some of them just do that anyway around here - why they're still in business is a mystery.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There's no reason not to take your desktop with you - unless it's so long-in-the-tooth that it's not worthwhile?

A mate has shipped his desktop 4 times now - each time he removes the HDDs and packs the case with towels, boxes it and ships it - and it's survived with only 1 ding thusfar ;0

Gaming Laptop is almost an oxymoron - certainly the expensive way to game - it's never the route when money isn't plentiful.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Hi there friend, welcome to Australia :) What city are you going to?
    I'm in Brisbane (QLD) but tech pricing in this country is more or less the same across the land. (...)
    Thank you, soldant! I'm going to Brisbane, actually, applying for a research higher degree in UQ. I'll receive my scholarship in AUD, but I'm aware any BRL I save up will be worth less over there. Since my mother will travel to the US in June, I was considering having her buying me a laptop to save money, but if you say prices over there are affordable, I should probably just get a desktop over there. I assembled my current myself, so going after parts shouldn't be a trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    There's no reason not to take your desktop with you - unless it's so long-in-the-tooth that it's not worthwhile?

A mate has shipped his desktop 4 times now - each time he removes the HDDs and packs the case with towels, boxes it and ships it - and it's survived with only 1 ding thusfar ;0

Gaming Laptop is almost an oxymoron - certainly the expensive way to game - it's never the route when money isn't plentiful.
    It's not state of the art, but it's decent. I'm concerned with shipping across the world, specially concerning price. I do understand laptops mean less for more, though. Besides, I still have no idea where I'm going to live over there, be it student quarters at the university, rented apartment or whatever. I'd probably need to have it shipped to me afterwards by someone here, which could prove a bit of a hassle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    The new 8xx series GPUs from nvidia just came out, luckily bought right when they became available.
    Most of the 800 series is just tweaked variants of the 700 and 600 series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    From memory, it costs around $70(US) to ship a well packaged desktop with proper insurance and paperwork done.

When you compare that to the likely losses you make selling/buying or the cost of a 'gaming laptop' (12 times that number) it seems quite cheap to me!?

I know he's also carried it as luggage - in fact I believe you can get a trolley case which is designed for PCs - but obviously that depends on how much other junk you're carrying (and the cost of excess baggage on your trip!?) :)

Probably better-off getting a new monitor on arrival tho - I guess they'll get kicked-to-bits...

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Most of the 800 series is just tweaked variants of the 700 and 600 series.
    Yea I know.

I believe these are Maxwell pieces though. I have to check on that.

Compared to Kepler, Maxwell has been optimized in several details to increase power efficiency. Smaller Streaming Multiprocessors (SMM) with only 128 ALUs (Kepler: 192) and an optimized scheduler should lead to better utilization of the shaders. Nvidia promises that a Maxwell SMM with 128 ALUs can offer 90 percent of the performance of a Kepler SMX with 192 ALUs. GM107 features 5 SMMs and thus 640 shader cores, 40 TMUs and 16 ROPs (128-bit interface).

Another optimization is the massively enlarged L2 cache (GM107: 2 MB). The increased size can handle some of the memory traffic to allow for a relatively narrow memory interface without significantly reducing the performance.

Similar to Fermi and Kepler, Maxwell / GM107 supports DirectX 11.2 with feature level 11.0 only.
    Apparently the power efficiency is a bit better as well, partly I guess because of the Maxwell architecture, and in some games according to notebookcheck, I think they said performance wise is about double in choice games (compared to the 760M).

The power consumption of the GeForce GTX 860M should be similar to the old GTX 760M (about 50 Watts). Therefore, the 860M is best suited for 15-inch laptops or larger. The 800M series also supports Optimus to automatically switch between an integrated graphics card and the Nvidia GPU.
    The performance is equivalent to a desktop 480 GTX apparently, according to notebookcheck.

It can run Battlefield 4 at 1080p + 4xMSAA + ultra settings at 30 fps average according to the website.

I'd say it's pretty good. It's not going to compete with my desktop and its 760 GTX, but it's not a bad chip as some may say, especially those who are so "morally against" laptops that play games.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-....107794.0.html
    Last edited by rockman29; 27-03-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Depends what you want.

I'm currently running a gigabyte P34G and am absoltuley trhilled with it.
    A sub-2kg, 14" gaming machine. However, it's a lot of money and while pleasingly fast, not blindingly so.
    For the same money, you can get more power if you are happy with bigger.

Have the P35G, which is the 15" version. Great machine. Thin, fast. Works great. Of course I have a desktop at home and it is used primarily for traveling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Yea I know.

I believe these are Maxwell pieces though. I have to check on that.
    There are two completely different version of the GTX 860M. One is based on Maxwell, one is based on Kepler. That's classic Nvidia.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    From memory, it costs around $70(US) to ship a well packaged desktop with proper insurance and paperwork done.

When you compare that to the likely losses you make selling/buying or the cost of a 'gaming laptop' (12 times that number) it seems quite cheap to me!?

I know he's also carried it as luggage - in fact I believe you can get a trolley case which is designed for PCs - but obviously that depends on how much other junk you're carrying (and the cost of excess baggage on your trip!?) :)

Probably better-off getting a new monitor on arrival tho - I guess they'll get kicked-to-bits...
    That's good advice, thanks. I'll probably be carrying quite a lot with me, but for those shipping prices I see no issue getting someone to ship it to me later. I'll do some research on the fees around here, who knows.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontan View Post
    Thank you, soldant! I'm going to Brisbane, actually, applying for a research higher degree in UQ.
    UQ is pretty prestigious for Australia. With your scholarship you should be able to purchase parts for a decent gaming PC - mid-range hardware is affordable and there are plenty of decent retailers around this city. A decent new Core i5 will set you back around $220 AUD. Generic RAM 4GB will run around $50. GPUs are kind of expensive though, a GTX760 runs around $350. If you think you can get cheaper prices in Brazil it might be better to ship it.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    UQ is pretty prestigious for Australia. With your scholarship you should be able to purchase parts for a decent gaming PC - mid-range hardware is affordable and there are plenty of decent retailers around this city. A decent new Core i5 will set you back around $220 AUD. Generic RAM 4GB will run around $50. GPUs are kind of expensive though, a GTX760 runs around $350. If you think you can get cheaper prices in Brazil it might be better to ship it.
    UQ is sits around the position for 35th best university in the world, its prestige is well deserved.

Prices there are better, that's for sure. A new Core i5 here would cost around AU$350. But trjp has some sound advice. What I would lose between selling my current desktop and buying a new one could certainly pay for the shipping. That way I could spend a bit there to get a new GPU. =D

There is still some time to plan it thoroughly. Thank you for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    There are two completely different version of the GTX 860M. One is based on Maxwell, one is based on Kepler. That's classic Nvidia.
    I didn't know that before, thank you.

Just got my laptop today, relieved it is the Maxwell version.

Obscure Node
    what brand do you want?what's the budget?

Obscure Node
    You might want to check out these decent gaming laptops: http://pcgamerhome.com/best-gaming-laptop/

You have a lot of options these days with gaming laptops. MSI, Alienware, Asus, and Razer all make great gaming laptops. But they will all be expensive. It depends what you want to play. Will you be playing Minecraft or Battlefield 4? You might even be able to find an ultrabook with a graphics card but no dvd drive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I need to pass on my current laptop to a family member and I'll have buy another one for me.
    My current one is a Qosmio F60, and I love it. For 1400€, about 4 years ago I got
    Intel Core i3-330M
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    15.6 inch 16:9, 1366x768
    I checked the Sager site and there's
    Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ
    GeForce GTX 860M GPU
    15.6" 1920 x 1080
    For about 800€ + Indetermined postage. If the postage is less than 200€ I have enough budget to get a better graphics card or an SSD.
    This looks cheap to me, but the postage could be some ridiculous price, so I'm not sure this is a great deal.

It's probably better to do this backward, so here are my "needs"
    - Laptop, I wish I could have a desktop but it's not possible now.
    - ~15,6" monitor, any less and it's too small, 17" is too big.
    - Under 1500€
    - Mainland Europe. The budget should include the postage.
    As for buying them in stores, I don't really have much choice, so it's probably best if I order it.
    Bonus points for the possibility of getting a PT keyboard layout.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?