Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Assuming the entire box would weigh less than 5kg, it would cost 25 euros to ship something from the Netherlands to Portugal (I'm assuming you're there, because you want PT layout). So I'd figure other carriers and from other countries would cost about the same.

That Sager thing looks good for the money. I'd upgrade with an SSD, the 860M is a quite capable GPU. Especially if you have the Maxwell version. Any better and you're quickly getting into SLI territory, which generally pushes it outside of budget (and outside of your diagonal constraint). For me here in NL, the first upgrade over the 860M (870M) is 1500 euro without postage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Assuming the entire box would weigh less than 5kg, it would cost 25 euros to ship something from the Netherlands to Portugal (I'm assuming you're there, because you want PT layout). So I'd figure other carriers and from other countries would cost about the same.

That Sager thing looks good for the money. I'd upgrade with an SSD, the 860M is a quite capable GPU. Especially if you have the Maxwell version. Any better and you're quickly getting into SLI territory, which generally pushes it outside of budget (and outside of your diagonal constraint). For me here in NL, the first upgrade over the 860M (870M) is 1500 euro without postage.
    Yup, it's cheaper than I though. But if I buy from the EU there's no customs to go through.

After snooping around, I remembered in the US the prices advertised never include taxes, so those 800€ are not the real price, particularly if it had to go through customs.
    I have http://www.pwnpcs.co.uk/laptops/clevo-p150sm
    Customized to reach 1230, or about 1500€.
    15.6" 1920x1080
    i7 4700MQ
    NVIDIA GTX 870M
    8GB RAM
    Portuguese layout
    The layout costs 45, not sure if it's cheaper to just buy a keyboard on my own.
    Coming from the UK, so there should be no problems. It has no OS, but that's fine, I have a spare Win7 lying around.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

I did not know Portugal had store that dealt with Clevo PCs too.
    I can get the P151SM1-A, which is similar to the last post upgraded to an i7 4800MQ for 1400€.
    That will probably be my choice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    If you were to buy the laptop you posted on post #20, that would be my exact laptop :)

Which is this: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.p...el_name=NP7358

I highly recommend the Clevo/Sager models after buying mine, this one runs like a dream, and the performance and IQ is fantastic.

Just remember to pop a SSD in there!

I also got mine without Windows 7, which saved me some pretty bucks too.

P.S.

Depending on where you buy from in US, there are some places that do include taxes in the price you pay, but it's almost always only specialty shops like these kind. The laptop I got I paid the exact price listed.
    Last edited by rockman29; 30-04-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Yup, the more I search the more I like the models.

I could import them from the US, but it's like entering a world of pain. I'll leave that to the professionals.

I was just commenting on the tax thing, I found it nice that I didn't have to pay tax when I bought the laptop :P

Though it's probably that they included tax in the base price, which is odd for US stores.

I would guess there's very little reason to import all the way from US if you are in Portugal! That's a hefty bit of cost I bet.

I think the only downer about my laptop is that it's a bit heavy. Comes in at a little over 6 pounds with the battery in it I think, which is about a pound heavier than my last laptop.

But then again it also has a lighty-up keyboard so who cares :P

Necro-ing this because I just bought my new laptop.

http://www.clevocenter.com/p150sm/p150sm-config.html

Here it is, it's the Clevo P150SM.
    My particular configuration consisted of
    Intel i7 4810MQ
    Nvidia GTX 870M
    8 GB RAM
    1920x1080 LCD
    500GB HDD, 7200RPM
    No OS
    All and all, external DVD drive included, it cost 1500€. Compared with the crap I could buy at Fnac or some mall, it blows everything out of the water, particularly with this price point.
    Mirror's Edge on maximum specs, Crysis Warhead in Enthusiast, Far Cry 2 in Ultra High without breaking a sweat means I'm happy (I don't have anything newer to test, so far).

That is a gorgeous laptop. I hope you are able to get a SSD in it soon, they make the laptops sing :)

Congrats, well bought :)

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    That is a gorgeous laptop. I hope you are able to get a SSD in it soon
    Went for the external drive for that reason. I like that they put the internal disk on the drive's place, and then a fake cover, with a fake eject button and some stickers.
    The main SATA slot is empty now, which can be reached by unscrewing just two bolts. Nifty piece of engineering that. The rest of the components are also easily switchable, even the graphics card has a slot, just like the processor. No soldering here.

That's cool, I haven't opened up my laptop to see what is in it... same Sager/Clevo make... I presume it's neat and tidy too :D

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    That's cool, I haven't opened up my laptop to see what is in it... same Sager/Clevo make... I presume it's neat and tidy too :D
    I just wanted to see how easy it was to put another drive in it, but one of the bolts fell into some small hole and then I had to remove the entire cover. I hadn't even turned it on!

Activated Node
    That seems like a pretty good laptop, but I'm certain it would be way too expensive around here. I actually decided to bring my desktop along with me. I'm actually going to get myself a better GPU instead of going for a laptop. =D
    Last edited by Fontan; 06-06-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    Steam uPlay
    Origin: afontanm

My Backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Fontan View Post
    That seems like a pretty good laptop, but I'm certain it would be way too expensive around here. I actually decided to bring my desktop along with me. I'm actually going to get myself a better GPU instead of going for a laptop. =D
    Still, thanks for creating this thread, it made me actually go and research alternatives to the mass market laptops big box retailers sell. :D

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Still, thanks for creating this thread, it made me actually go and research alternatives to the mass market laptops big box retailers sell. :D
    I can't imagine ever going back to purchase an in-store laptop after going online... the options in stores are just awful!

HP, Toshiba... Apple... *shudders*

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    You're welcome, that what forums are for! =D

Now my biggest issue is how to take my desktop with me. I'm not sure if I can trust the airliners dealing with fragile cargo. They do handle it separately, but who knows?
    Steam uPlay
    Origin: afontanm

My Backlog