Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Actually I doubt DDR3 will get cheaper later on. The price has been going up over the last year and a half (approximately), and DDR2 showed how prices can increase as it becomes obsolescent - because people on an old platform drain the dwindling supply of retail and then second hand memory for upgrades.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    There was a low point in Dec 2012 I think.

I bought the 8 GB of RAM in my current computer for $35 CAD (less than 20 GBP). I have never seen prices anywhere close to that since.

Ever since then the price has been like 60 CAD+, rarely in the 50s.

Here's a handy graph of the spot prices:

Welp, my memory served me well in this instance :)

Network Hub
    Thanks for the advice everyone; I think I know what I'm going to get at this point, but I do have one more question: what's the best time to buy? Most websites say that computers go on sale around the back-to-school season, but I'm not sure that that applies to gaming rigs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Gaming rigs are always disgustingly expensive, you'd be better off building a system.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone; I think I know what I'm going to get at this point, but I do have one more question: what's the best time to buy? Most websites say that computers go on sale around the back-to-school season, but I'm not sure that that applies to gaming rigs.
    You're still going to get jipped. The last one you posted by at least a few hundred dollars CAD.

But yea I'm not really sure. Holiday season and Boxing day/week is great for PC parts, not sure about whole rigs... back to school also has sales on parts as well, like at Newegg and Tigerdirect and so on.

I really wouldn't count on it tbh, and have to completely recommend against buying a full rig.

Network Hub
    Should I choose to build a pc, is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for? Any particular brands or parts that have better reputations than others? As far as GPU and CPU go, it seems like my best bets are probably an i5 4760 and a GTX 760, in terms of value. Beyond that I'm lost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you think you could put all these shapes back in the bucket without much issue, then you can build your own PC. Practically every component is color coded, or designed in a way that you physically cannot connect it incorrectly.

"What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

^That must be one of my favourite posts ever made :)

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    If you think you could put all these shapes back in the bucket without much issue, then you can build your own PC.
    then I will ask my 2 year old to replace the GPU next time I upgrade as we have two of those toys

Network Hub
    Okay, so I've decided to go the build (or pay NCIX.com $50 to build it for me) route. The rig that I've specced currently looks like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k 3.5 GHz (I know the i5 is the better deal, but it seems that more games in the next generation are gonna start using the i7's threading capabilities, so I figured I splurge for this one)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 2X4GB DDR3-1600

Video Card: GeForce GTX 760

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid-Tower (to be honest, I didn't do much research here. I have no idea what to look for in a case).

PSU: Corsair Professional HX650W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM

And then a fairly basic DVD writer and card reader. It all comes in at $1500.

Now, there are two things I'm unsure of here. One is that I don't know if I should get a fan, or if the cooler that comes with the CPU will be enough. Secondly, I'm not sure if there's any real benefit to getting a dedicated sound card or network card, or if it's best just to use what's on the motherboard. Finally, I'm not sure if the parts that I've chosen are necessarily the best I can get for the money. At the very least, I'm fairly certain that they're all compatible with each other, but beyond that I have no idea.

There's no particular need for a dedicated sound card or network card.

You could get a cheaper case, but that's a matter of taste as well.

If you want to overclock, which that build seems designed for, you'll want a better CPU cooler. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a popular cheap option, but you could spend more if you like. Noctua in particular are known for quiet coolers.

Network Hub
    Speaking as someone who has that CPU, you don't need it. Get a 4670k instead and spend the extra money on upgrading your GPU to a 770. As Sakkura said, get a decent CPU cooler if you're going to overclock. If you're not going to overclock, get a 4670 (all the k adds is overclocking capability).

Network Hub
    I'll keep that in mind; I'm not planning on overclocking so that should make things easier.

By the way, while looking around TigerDirect, I stumbled onto this rig, which is currently on sale for $1600: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...9720&CatId=114. As far as I can tell, that seems to be about the same price that it would cost me to build the thing myself. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but would that be a decent deal for what you get?

Network Hub
    No-name PSU is massive mark against it if you care about longevity. The mobo has no room to SLI in the future. The RAM manufacturer is unknown and the GPU appears to be the stock version.

Seriously man, you can do better for the money and it really isn't that hard to build a modern PC. I'm a fucking idiot when it comes to DIY and more than a little clumsy, but managed it easily enough.

If you're not comfortable picking out specific parts, I'm willing to do this for you as long as I know I'm not wasting my time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I really don't think the i7s hyperthreading is ever going to matter.
    You've still got the same number of physical cores, at near enough the same clock.
    So even if games do start using loads of cores (unlikley, as the Xbone only makes 4 of them available to games I think. Not sure if the PS4 is as restricted), then I can't see why the i7 would offer much over the i5, when all cores are already running flat out.
    The real strength in the i7 is its support for virtualization, but that's quite a specific application.

There's no real benefit to a separate network card.

A decent sound card is noticeably higher quality and audibly lower signal to noise ratio than most onboard sound. The Asus Xonars are good. But you'd need pretty good headset/speakers to notice, and most onboard sound is fine (just not great).

Oh, and don't be bullied into building if you don't want to. It genuinely is simple. But there are mistakes that can be made, and if parts are faulty, then you need to work out which ones before sending them back. One thing worth investigating is if any shops in your part of the world do pre-tested CPU/Mobo/Memory bundles, as you can get them over here in the UK.

Network Hub
    Yeah, I don't think I'm going to build. I don't have the patience or the time to figure things out if they (inevitably) go wrong. That being said, I think I'm going to go with NCIX's custom PC builder; it's an extra $50 on top of the cost of the parts, but that's a pretty small cost in the big scheme of things.

My current build on their site has an i5 4670k (I don't plan on overclocking, but it's only $10 more and comes with a cooler, whereas the 4670 doesn't seem to have one), a GTX 760 (I may up it to a 770, though I don't know that the performance upgrade would really be worth the extra $100+), a 650W PSU from Corsair, 8GB RAM (the motherboard has an extra two slots so I can upgrade later if I choose), and an ASRock Z87 Pro3 Motherboard, which seems to be a decent entry level board. I also was looking at adding a Creative Soundcard for $30-ish, since I do value audio quality, though I don't know how necessary that would be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by zdeno84 View Post
    then I will ask my 2 year old to replace the GPU next time I upgrade as we have two of those toys
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if he could do it, too.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Did I miss something? Why no SSD? Whatever you do, get a SSD.