Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I'm going to build. I don't have the patience or the time to figure things out if they (inevitably) go wrong. That being said, I think I'm going to go with NCIX's custom PC builder; it's an extra $50 on top of the cost of the parts, but that's a pretty small cost in the big scheme of things.

My current build on their site has an i5 4670k (I don't plan on overclocking, but it's only $10 more and comes with a cooler, whereas the 4670 doesn't seem to have one), a GTX 760 (I may up it to a 770, though I don't know that the performance upgrade would really be worth the extra $100+), a 650W PSU from Corsair, 8GB RAM (the motherboard has an extra two slots so I can upgrade later if I choose), and an ASRock Z87 Pro3 Motherboard, which seems to be a decent entry level board. I also was looking at adding a Creative Soundcard for $30-ish, since I do value audio quality, though I don't know how necessary that would be.
    Get the 200R case. The 500R case is overkill I think. Just adding more cost with little benefit.

I have the 200R, it's great.

And yea seriously get a SSD.

Only go for the 770 GTX if you are very concerned with 60 fps and max settings at all times with games like Metro 2033 or Crysis 3. Otherwise go for the 760 GTX.

Network Hub
    Thanks for the advice; I'll downgrade the case and the GPU and invest in an SSD. Is there any particular time that it's best to buy parts, or do prices not fluctuate that much?

Network Hub
    I think I have a final list of parts down, but I figured I'd run it past you folks since there may be compatibility issues that I hadn't noticed. Right now, I have:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (3.5Ghz)
    GPU: Asus GTX770 2GB
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaw 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 Plus Bronze Certified
    Case: Rosewill Challenger Black ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case

I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers, so I'm fine on that front. I didn't include the hard drive because I don't think there are any issues around compatibility with those (please, though, correct me if I'm wrong). The main concerns I have are if the RAM is going to work nicely with the CPU/Motherboard, and if everything will fit in the case.

If you have any suggestions, I'll be glad to have them. Also, I know that no one can know what the next few years of games will bring in terms of recommended specs, but does this rig seem like it'll get me through the next generation decently well? I'm not looking to play everything on ultra at 60+ FPS; as long as its roughly comparable to the console experience (and running at 1080p) I'm fine.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I'll be adding in a DVD drive. Much like the hard drive, I'm fairly certain that there won't be any compatibility issues there, but if there are I'd like to know.
    Last edited by Track; 14-06-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The 750W power supply is overkill. And the combination of an overclocking-enabled motherboard and overclocking-disabled CPU is a bit incongruous.

Your hard drive will be compatible as long as it's SATA-based (which has been the standard for quite a long time).

It looks like a pretty good system for "next-generation" gaming, though it's good to keep in mind that PC gaming is not as rigidly defined by generations as console gaming. If I had to pick at anything it might be the graphics card, where more VRAM might eventually become an advantage. An R9 280X would be a nice way to get that, since it's largely equivalent in performance, comes with an extra GB of VRAM, and usually costs a little less than the GTX 770.

Network Hub
    I'll look into the motherboard; didn't know that it was overclocking-enabled, and if I can save some money on that front I'll do so.

As for the 280x, I'll look into it. The review that I read mostly praise it for its performance at resolutions above 1080p, which isn't going to be a factor for me. At the same time, it is cheaper and seems to perform roughly on par with the 770, and with games (seemingly) using more VRAM as time goes on it might make for a more "future proof" card. The only issue I can see is that apparently people have had issues with AMD drivers. That being said, I'm not sure if that's something that's changed over the last couple of years.
    Last edited by Track; 14-06-2014 at 04:55 PM.