Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A quick mention of my Zboard, now called a Steelseries Merc Stealth I beleive. Had it for about 6 years now and I love it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFizz View Post
    A quick mention of my Zboard, now called a Steelseries Merc Stealth I beleive. Had it for about 6 years now and I love it.
    Just in-case your desk has even more space - next they'll be putting a massive trackpad on the other end? :)

I used the older (replaceable keyset) ZBoards a few times and whilst they didn't feel terrible, most reports were that they didn't last all that well either?

That said - I had an X6 for years, a lot of people suffered from the membrane splitting but mine lasted and lasted so...

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Just in-case your desk has even more space...
    It's really not that big, as you miss out the usual centre home/pgup/ins section. I'd say it's about 2 inches max wider than a usual keyboard.

I tried the replaceable keyset one years back but didnt think much of it. I like the butterfly keys layout obviously, but on the fixed one I have, the angle is just perfect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    How do the extra keys really work? Extra keys or you have to map them to WASD et al?
    As a bonus, does it need special drivers and does it work on Linux?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    How do the extra keys really work? Extra keys or you have to map them to WASD et al?
    As a bonus, does it need special drivers and does it work on Linux?
    The extra keys are duplicates of their counterparts, theyre just in a configuration that works really well. ie if your in a game you can press normal W or the W on the butterfly keys and they will function the same, no need for remapping. I recall the only thing I missed when I first got it was the Z key under the A, but didn't miss it for long. The number keys are spaced just brilliantly.

As It happens I've used this keyboard on linux aswell, about 2 years ago. I can't recall there being any issues, but the support is community and not the manufacturer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    The extra keys are duplicates of their counterparts, theyre just in a configuration that works really well. ie if your in a game you can press normal W or the W on the butterfly keys and they will function the same, no need for remapping. I recall the only thing I missed when I first got it was the Z key under the A, but didn't miss it for long. The number keys are spaced just brilliantly.

As It happens I've used this keyboard on linux aswell, about 2 years ago. I can't recall there being any issues, but the support is community and not the manufacturer.
    Hmm, that's interesting, it certainly increases compatibility. Thanks.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Moving to mechanicals now myself too, bought one one weekend for 50€ as it was on sale, Rosewill RK-9000. Maybe not the greatest, but should be reasonable for the price as far as i know, and better than my current one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Hmm, that's interesting, it certainly increases compatibility. Thanks.
    Steelseries have done that 'pad on the left side' approach for a while (used-to-be-called the Merc I think?) - they also sold the pad as a separate (but it mapped as a regular keyboard so no need to map it's keys specially)

It's not an n52 or it's many variants or a G13 - but it's not terrible either.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Steelseries have done that 'pad on the left side' approach for a while (used-to-be-called the Merc I think?) - they also sold the pad as a separate (but it mapped as a regular keyboard so no need to map it's keys specially)
    Yes I have the original zboard from before they were bought out, they're a little hard to come by now. As I said previously, the angle and key setup is, for me, perfect.
    GW2: Emmett Lazlow ; Elite: Emmett Lazlo ; Steam: ​RobDollar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    On this topic can someone recommend me a keyboard for a maximum of 40 ish. Rules:
    Has to have a numpad
    Has to be wired
    Preferably no funny buttons.
    Normal layout, no curvey things.

Based on that what's the best build quality / cost product? I want something better than my old Dell which is around 10 years old now, but given I can put up with that for 10 years spending ~100 on one seems a waste.

Oh mostly for programming and playing low intensity games like Civ or XCOM, so super slick gaming things don't really seem necessary. It's oddly difficult to find good reviews of less interesting keyboards.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The one i mentioned few posts ago?

Found this on a sale with 50€ price tag and this is pretty vanilla (no fancy pants leds nor special gaming set ups). I've liked this thus far but eh, only been a week. It's got numpad, is wired (ps2 btw on this model it seems in case relevant), 0 funny buttons and it's the normal shape.

Feels sturdy and it was cheap as required, but as said, was on sale so dunno what price you could find this usually.

Do you got more preferences on how stiff it should be or what kind of switches?

Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    The one i mentioned few posts ago?

Found this on a sale with 50 price tag and this is pretty vanilla (no fancy pants leds nor special gaming set ups). I've liked this thus far but eh, only been a week. It's got numpad, is wired (ps2 btw on this model it seems in case relevant), 0 funny buttons and it's the normal shape.

Feels sturdy and it was cheap as required, but as said, was on sale so dunno what price you could find this usually.

Do you got more preferences on how stiff it should be or what kind of switches?
    Oh yeah sorry I don't seem to be able to find a UK layout one in stock anywhere.

So it's possibly more a list of good makes of keyboard then sifting through their ranges to find the right one to suit. For some reason Rosewill didn't show up in the UK :-S

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No-one sells Rosewill in the UK and you won't get a mechanical for <50 (worth having, at least)

It's really down to your personal preference - some people like Logitech keyboards but I find their have "loose" keys which only get looser with age. Microsoft's standard "Internet Keyboard" is still in production and is - arguably - as good a membrane keyboard as exists

I'm using a Perrix keyboard here and pretty happy with it - I have the 'shortarse' version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perixx-PERIB...eywords=perixx

but they do full-sized ones - probably won't last forever but I've been impressed thusfar (had it about 4 months) - nice action, nice noise - not entirely delighted with the layout but I needed a short keyboard and it is that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No-one sells Rosewill in the UK and you won't get a mechanical for <50 (worth having, at least) - so spending that sort of money pretty much requires you have 'knobs and doobries' - or just spend <20 and get a plain-old-keyboard.

It's really down to your personal preference - some people like Logitech keyboards but I find their have "loose" keys which only get looser with age. Microsoft's "standard wired keyboard" is still in production and is - arguably - as good a membrane keyboard as exists

I'm using a Perrix keyboard here and pretty happy with it - I have the 'shortarse' version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perixx-PERIB...eywords=perixx

but they do full-sized ones - probably won't last forever but I've been impressed thusfar (had it about 4 months) - nice action, nice noise - not entirely delighted with the layout but I needed a short keyboard and it does that job admirably.

Cherry Keyboards (which are not - necessarily - mechanical with Cherry Switches) are also quite nice and there's a range of 'standard' options too.

It really is >70 mechanical or <30 membrane unless you want backlighting, macros, extra keys and all that jazz tho...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Rosewill is Newegg's house brand, it's practically only available in the US and Canada.

Thanks trjp, that's exactly the kind of advice I needed. I really wasn't sure if there was going to be significant difference between the various makes.

Also I told a lie, the 8-10 year old keyboard is just a bog standard MS one. It still works great, but 10 years of crumbs and shit has just made me want a new one.

EDIT: Also Windows 8 has annoyed me so much I don't want to buy an MS one. _ Not the most rational reason ever.

I'd probably buy the corsair K30 for that though I'm not sure what you consider as 'funny' buttons, as it does have a single strip of macro keys on the left (which I use as much in opening folders, programs and playlists and such as I would in-game). Has backlights, media keys, and doesn't look all crazy gamer1337!!11 either.

Edit: link might help
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers

Should be noted I don't actually have one of these, it'd just be what I'd get for around that price.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've not used a Corsair 'rubber' keyboard but I reckon you'd have to want the extras badly to pay nearly 40 for one.

Otherwise I'd be surprised if that is any different to a 10 Microsoft keyboard - tho it's all about personal preference - some people even like Logitech keyboards (weird people)

In the end I got this as an experiment:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-920...0250105&sr=1-5

Was only 10 and I quite like the idea of a keyboard immune to having tea spilt on it, which realistically is all that's wrong with my old Microsoft one (a decade of having tea spilt in it).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Rosewill is Newegg's house brand, it's practically only available in the US and Canada.
    That's what i found as well when googling wtf these were, but then suddenly a finnish store was selling nordic versions at 50€ each.

I do admit it's maybe slightly harder resistance on key presses than i'd optimally prefer, but it does make it feel more sturdy and better than the one i had before.