Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by burningpet View Post
    Did you read about his idea via twitter about the FPS where you can only see your enemies in mirrors? he on expanded that saying that if you dont have a mirror nearby, throw some liquid on the floor to cause a reflection. the man is still bright.
    You do realise that that is his humorous counterpart, right?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Still a genius though.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The only real issue here is the name 'Syndicate', and people getting their knickers in a twist over the sanctity of yesteryear.
    I'm not quite sure it is. I have no interest in a co-op four-player FPS regardless of what it's called, be it Syndicate or Scarlett Johansson Virtual Sex Simulator. Were it just another no-name FPS, I wouldn't care about this story. But because it's Syndicate I've read about it and I know about it and yes I'm a bit annoyed for fairly irrational reasons.

Which, y'know, is fine, and that's my problem. Except I'm fairly sure the only reason it's called Syndicate is that EA knew it'd cause that reaction from some people, and they knew that would get them attention. It's a sort of meta-cynicism on their part.

And on top of all that, EA are making "yet another FPS". Rather than something interesting or different. Which is annoying in itself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Which, y'know, is fine, and that's my problem. Except I'm fairly sure the only reason it's called Syndicate is that EA knew it'd cause that reaction from some people, and they knew that would get them attention. It's a sort of meta-cynicism on their part.
    This games probably been in development for 2 years already. I doubt very much whether it being a syndicate game has much to do with some strategist going 'yeah calling it that will piss off those PC gamers for the publicity' because the developers probably hadn't even figured out what style of game they were going to do, or how it was going to work when EA handed them the IP. Developers pitch ideas.

And on top of all that, EA are making "yet another FPS". Rather than something interesting or different. Which is annoying in itself.
    Why? Is Deus Ex Human revolution annoying? Was Portal 2 annoying? Was L4D2 annoying?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    You do realise that that is his humorous counterpart, right?
    it started like that, but got elaborated nicely to something that could be good.

Banned
    I'd rather see a Gender Wars reboot as an FPS :)

Obscure Node
    Why? Is Deus Ex Human revolution annoying? Was Portal 2 annoying? Was L4D2 annoying?
    To be fair, I think the point is more that "just another FPS" is an annoying idea in itself. In this case, it does seem like EA has been holding back info on the game for a reason. You think they'd be dying to get the word out on a Syndicate reboot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This games probably been in development for 2 years already. I doubt very much whether it being a syndicate game has much to do with some strategist going 'yeah calling it that will piss off those PC gamers for the publicity' because the developers probably hadn't even figured out what style of game they were going to do, or how it was going to work when EA handed them the IP. Developers pitch ideas.
    I don't really get how that last sentence fits with the rest. Yes, developers pitch ideas. But surely those ideas are more likely to be "we want to do a co-op FPS" rather than "we want to do something with Syndicate but don't know what". The second isn't an idea. I mean you could be right but it seems more likely to me that the concept came first, then the license, rather than the other way around.

Only one of those is an FPS. But if you just mean sequels in general... I think the FPS is played out for now, short of a radical re-invention. It's stagnant. And nothing in the publicity for Syndicate says it's going to change anything.

Have you noticed they don't even bother claiming that now? It used to be in the marketing material "a revolutionary FPS" or "revolutionises the genre" even though it was bullshit. Now they don't even bother to pretend. It's another FPS in a different setting.

You know, out of all the classics to re-imagined as an FPS, Syndicate is the one that makes the most sense. Make it you still play as the Syndicate head, retain the between mission recruiting/upgrading/researching/outfitting of your private cyborg army and during the FPS stuff have it that you are taking direct control of one of said cyborgs in the squad (with the ability to swap around at will and upon death) while issuing commands (nothing overly elaborate; maybe something Republic Commando style?) to the rest.
    For the character based narrative, just make your Syndicate head like a cyberpunk version of Daniel Plainview or something, who partakes in a whole lot of corporate politics, intrigue and backstabbery in his/her quest to be the biggest bastard of them all. Have this whole story take place in the luxurious environments of the elite, far away from the streets where your private army do your dirty work.

That would still feel like Syndicate to me.

To somebody who knows it will be crap: could I borrow your crystal ball please?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by cowthief skank View Post
    To somebody who knows it will be crap: could I borrow your crystal ball please?
    I think one person called it mediocre. No-one else has made a value judgement. We just don't know at the moment do we? And yet there's all this talk about it, because it's called Syndicate.

That said, while I can't say how 'good' it'll be from an objective point of view, given that I don't generally enjoy FPSs, and I don't generally enjoy multi-player focused games, I feel fairly confident in predicting that *I* won't like it, and *I'd* prefer it if were more of a strategy game.

If other people would rather it be an FPS, as it is, there's nothing wrong with that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Indeed. It could be an FPS that garners worldwide critical acclaim, but it would still be an FPS. I just don’t want to play any more games in a genre that has changed less in the past twenty years than my racist grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Indeed. It could be an FPS that garners worldwide critical acclaim, but it would still be an FPS. I just don’t want to play any more games in a genre that has changed less in the past twenty years than my racist grandpa.
    That's a bit silly really, FPS games have clearly changed from their roots in the last twenty years that's why we have a slew of games claiming to be old school iterations of the genre.

All this aside, what I think could work is a RTS/FPS hybrid allowing individual control of one of your agents when you feel like getting a bit more hands on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    But that's the thing isn't it. The big selling point of this FPS is "it's based on an old top-down shooter/strategy game".

If you don't have that, you need to do something else. Something original, something different, something that advances the genre, or the games press will ignore you because it's really hard to write about "just another FPS that's competent and just as fun as the last one".

Whereas the whole Syndicate thing, the legacy of it, the vitriolic internet reaction to it, it creates a narrative, it creates something to write about. You don't have to try by doing something different in the game any more.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    But that's the thing isn't it. The big selling point of this FPS is "it's based on an old top-down shooter/strategy game".

If you don't have that, you need to do something else. Something original, something different, something that advances the genre, or the games press will ignore you because it's really hard to write about "just another FPS that's competent and just as fun as the last one".

Whereas the whole Syndicate thing, the legacy of it, the vitriolic internet reaction to it, it creates a narrative, it creates something to write about. You don't have to try by doing something different in the game any more.
    Is it the thing? Could have worked the other way around, then people would be happy to play it. "its like syndicate, only like an FPS"

Or maybe not. I dont know, I never played it, nor do I care for it now.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Next one is going to be a Crusader FPS reboot.

I'm going to watch and laugh as people who never played original complain about it.

Obscure Node
    and during the FPS stuff have it that you are taking direct control of one of said cyborgs in the squad
    Except the said cyborg will undoubtedly have some deep issues of his own, with some sappy love story tacked on, a troubled childhood, and whatever else in that vein you can think of. Highly unlikely for said cyborg to be a typical syndicate agent.

Next one is going to be a Crusader FPS reboot.
    Crusader was an interesting case. They thought they were making an isometric shooter - but the clunky controls and the sheer amount of options available, made it into something highly tactical, forcing you to take cover and use the roll moves, and all that. Something like stealth version of DXHR would feel just right for that. Only without hth combat.

Bumping this because there's a new video out, showing more of the actual gameplay and talking about the mechanics.

People who didn't like the direction of this one will probably have even colder feelings after this video (especially thanks the rather hamfisted/vague references to the old games). Shooty-shooty, very much so.

Personally though... I dare say that actually looks quite interesting and something that could be quite fun.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    *sighs* I REALLY don't want to like the title.

But it does look very interesting.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.