Page 8 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    I thought I was being trolled by 'illusory wall' messages, you have to press a not hit them... : /

Network Hub
    UK delay influenced South Africa too, so waiting on my boxed copy :(

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I thought I was being trolled by 'illusory wall' messages, you have to press a not hit them... : /
    This. Except some illusory walls still need to bit hit to open them, but some need you to 'use' them. I wonder how many I've missed because I hit the wall instead of pressing A.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Does anyone have random forced alt-tabs to the desktop while playing?
    This might not be specific to DS2 (it happened to me in DS1 and a few other games), but it seems to happen a lot for me in DS2. I have the latest nVidia drivers and a brand new EVGA GTX 780. Is this still the drivers bug that was introduced a year ago? It sucks on games that do not pause, like DS2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    This. Except some illusory walls still need to bit hit to open them, but some need you to 'use' them. I wonder how many I've missed because I hit the wall instead of pressing A.
    Yeah, and if someone puts a sign RIGHT in front of the wall it can get annoying

Rule of thumb: Glowing blue walls made by using a lockstone need to be hit, the rest need to be button-mashed.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I got myself summoned a lot at Prowling Magus to get Sunlight Spear, and I noticed the game turns down the volume on Winamp and iTunes whenever I'm in another player's world. Very odd behaviour, but useful.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I got myself summoned a lot at Prowling Magus to get Sunlight Spear, and I noticed the game turns down the volume on Winamp and iTunes whenever I'm in another player's world. Very odd behaviour, but useful.
    That sounds more like audio ducking from Windows when it detects the voice communication in game.

I went to the Bastille straight after the Pursuer, but after dying to the Ruin Sentinels a few times, it turns out that Hiede's Tower of Flame is a bit easier. Those packs of soldiers were pretty brutal as a puny mage.

The sorcerer's starting stats are low to puny in everything but casting spells; I only just gained the stats to equip something other than the dagger and I still fall over in a strong breeze. Still, the spells are powerful when I'm not dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Goateh View Post
    That sounds more like audio ducking from Windows when it detects the voice communication in game.
    Yeah, that's probably it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Hah.. I thought that too, until I read this, cheers.

So, finally got some experience of pvp due to the Bell covenant, or as I'm now hilariously calling them - the 'bellend covenant', because they seem to be purely populated by bellends who wont fight fair. I suppose its kind of unreasonable to expect the same bow first and wait until pve mobs are dead code of conduct that existed among high level DS1 players, but every time I'm beating of these guys they run away to hide among the mobs in the area, making it pretty difficult.

Have to say, so far the bosses are kinda easy, but pleasingly free of cheese.
    Last edited by Jockie; 26-04-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Haha, yes. They certainly had a less than stellar reputation on the consoles too. It gets worse once they start their ganksquads.

--
    I've been helping out people that started out. It's really interesting to see the different playstyles. One player was hyper methodical, he'd mark areas with a prism stones after double checking every wall and corner. Others mostly ran past just about everything, missed out on chests, treasures and most of the time: Enemies that then trained in on them from behind. I've gotten curiously creative with cursing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Having played most of my first four hours with -50% health: is that going to be like this for the rest of the game?

Also, I seem to die more from glitching "sleeping" enemies than the awake ones. That and furniture.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 27-04-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So, mimics do exist in DS2 (as if the devs would miss a chance to add a dickish enemy like that). Paranoia justified!

Oh and Jesus Christ the Black Knight Greatsword rocks now. They've only gone and given it the same move set as the Claymore, my favourite damn moveset from DS1. That plus greatswords in general have been buffed in DS2, they swing so damn fast now (not the ultra ones, just the garden variety greatswords). So I'm rocking a (so far) +4'ed BKGS and trying to get a Mastadon Greatsword suitably +'ed to see if it'll outperform it (great strength scaling on it but less raw damage, not sure what'll end up better). On a worse note they seem to have fubared the BKGA, it's as slow as it looks like it should be now, a far cry from its former glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Goateh View Post

I went to the Bastille straight after the Pursuer, but after dying to the Ruin Sentinels a few times, it turns out that Hiede's Tower of Flame is a bit easier. Those packs of soldiers were pretty brutal as a puny mage.

The sorcerer's starting stats are low to puny in everything but casting spells; I only just gained the stats to equip something other than the dagger and I still fall over in a strong breeze. Still, the spells are powerful when I'm not dying.
    That's how I've generally found sorcerors I've summoned to be. They fall over if the boss so much as farts in their direction more than once, but while I'm keeping the boss' attention they put out a lot of heavy artillery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Hah.. I thought that too, until I read this, cheers.

So, finally got some experience of pvp due to the Bell covenant, or as I'm now hilariously calling them - the 'bellend covenant', because they seem to be purely populated by bellends who wont fight fair. I suppose its kind of unreasonable to expect the same bow first and wait until pve mobs are dead code of conduct that existed among high level DS1 players, but every time I'm beating of these guys they run away to hide among the mobs in the area, making it pretty difficult.

Have to say, so far the bosses are kinda easy, but pleasingly free of cheese.
    Yeah I had a few run-ins with the bellends while I was clearing the Sol Belfry, a couple of them actually did go for the whole bow and fight in a clear area routine. The rest tried to hang back among the mobs. Then there's the multiples, had a good fight with one guy, won, went to drink an estus. Wham, another one I hadn't noticed enter backstabs me.

And yeah I've noted no real cheese with the bosses. But at the same time no real difficulty either with a sensible build. If anything the difficulty is early in the game before you've really had enough souls to really start something you could call a build. Now that I've hit my stride, got decent gear and allocated points where it's most important I'm just not dying to bosses. The most difficult bosses seem to be the ones where it throws multiple proper boss enemies at you (ie. Ruin Sentinels and Belfry Gargoyles).

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Having played most of my first four hours with -50% health: is that going to be like this for the rest of the game?

Also, I seem to die more from glitching "sleeping" enemies than the awake ones. That and furniture.
    No, after a while you'll come across an area you can easily source human effigies from. Since I got there I've not had to put up with stacking death penalties ever again. The place is in the Lost Bastille, the dogs (can) drop human effigies and there are a pair right next to a hidden bonfire. And further spoiler on how to find said place; along the long broken path with a bunch of dogs and a couple of the big guys, the last big guy is standing at the top of some stairs with a barrel of gunpowder right in front of him. Kill the guy without disturbing the barrel, the wall down the stairs is weak and the gunpowder barrel can blow it down. Sometimes just pushing the barrel down the stairs will do the trick, sometimes you'll have to maneuver it into position manually and give it a little tap.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 27-04-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar

Just to make sure you are aware: Use an Effigy to restore your humanity.

Similarly, there is an item that will set your minimum to 75%. It is located in Heide Tower of Flame outside the fog gate you need to lower a drawbridge to reach. Also, go fight that boss, it is awesome
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Besides easily farmable effigies there's also a ring that reduces the effect of maximum hollowing to 25%. And i'd say it's literally impossible to miss it since it lies right in front of a fogwall that you might have to visit more than once anyway. And it's in a zone that you'll probably visit fairly early on.

And on a completely unrelated note...Majula-Hole related spoiler stuff: I think one of the areas down there has some sort of forest protector deal going on? As soon as i entered the tomb of the saint (or somesuch?)i got summoned as a grey phantom by some guy who promptly whipped me to death while i was trying to figure out what was happening... That guy pretty much made my day, since his character was called "Indiana Jones". Thank you random stranger, such a nice "...Wot?" moment.

for those playing witha gamepad is there a way to not have mouse curse appear everytime im in a menu

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    And on a completely unrelated note...Majula-Hole related spoiler stuff:
    Yeah, that's the rat covenant. In this zone and another, they can set up traps with lockstones and summon other people to their world. If you can't be bothered, I don't think dying while summoned has any penalty but you get a lockstone yourself if you get all the way through (in addition to clearing the area for yourself). It's a bit of a gimmick covenant, but that player apparently made good use of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Besides easily farmable effigies
    Where?

/10chars

Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    for those playing witha gamepad is there a way to not have mouse curse appear everytime im in a menu
    I've heard people using this small tool: http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Mic...ideMouseCursor

Encountered a really odd bug where the game sped up by 2x after playing some hours. I could run/combo incredibly fast and walking around Majula looked like it was struck by a storm with the way the grass whipped about. Reloaded and it was still there but it is gone this morning. Seemed to happen right when I was given a highly involuntary surprise sex change.

In other news I finally brought down The Pursuer. Great fight! Made me go 50% hollow for ages but it never felt unfair, just needed to learn it's move-set. The mace two-handed seemed to do more damage on it than my upgraded swords.

If you're having trouble with hollowing, put your summon sign down in front of the boss and help another player out. If you win, you become human again.