Page 31 of 78 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    And behind. Everywhere, tears!

Really, I could perhaps deal with one dude. But two? No way. :)
    Ugh i just met a cheater today, at the beginning he was low HP after we fought a bit and then another guy came so i didn't think much about it, but after i defeated the second guy he kept trying to only hit me with knives, i had some poison ones so i tried to him him back, but whenever it reached him he never lost any hp. i think i used around 20 and at least 10 hit and nothing. then i came up close to him and hit him a few times and nothing happened ofc. then the fker went up where the tons of dwarfs are so ofc i didn't follow him there. I couldn't escape either so when another one invaded, he ganged up with him and staggered me several times while throwing knives at me constantly when i was either trying to run or attack so the other one had free shots at me. Needless to say, i lost.
    But i reported him so maybe with several reports something will happen.

Also, when is it ok to use healing stuff in combat? Sometimes i've been invaded by guys several times more powerful than me, either with spells or attacks (like a spell taking half of my health if it hits, or a lightning katana taking 1/4th or 1/5th of my healts and when i attack i barely do 100 damage), but the only time i tried to heal was when they were using stuff like poison clouds from hexes or toxic clouds, mostly because it was extremely annoying cus i was almost instantly poisoned and some just stood back after it...

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    Ugh i just met a cheater today, at the beginning he was low HP after we fought a bit and then another guy came so i didn't think much about it, but after i defeated the second guy he kept trying to only hit me with knives, i had some poison ones so i tried to him him back, but whenever it reached him he never lost any hp. i think i used around 20 and at least 10 hit and nothing. then i came up close to him and hit him a few times and nothing happened ofc. then the fker went up where the tons of dwarfs are so ofc i didn't follow him there. I couldn't escape either so when another one invaded, he ganged up with him and staggered me several times while throwing knives at me constantly when i was either trying to run or attack so the other one had free shots at me. Needless to say, i lost.
    But i reported him so maybe with several reports something will happen.

Also, when is it ok to use healing stuff in combat? Sometimes i've been invaded by guys several times more powerful than me, either with spells or attacks (like a spell taking half of my health if it hits, or a lightning katana taking 1/4th or 1/5th of my healts and when i attack i barely do 100 damage), but the only time i tried to heal was when they were using stuff like poison clouds from hexes or toxic clouds, mostly because it was extremely annoying cus i was almost instantly poisoned and some just stood back after it...
    Well, the healing etiquette is not written in stone, so it's always up to the players.
    The rule I follow is: if it's a straight up duel, no Estus. So that means if I go to an arena, Dragon Bro duels or if I summon a red sign dude. Those are agreed duels and Estus would kinda ruin these. So no chugging there.

But invades? Those are fights for your life! Use every little dirty trick (and also the not so dirty ones) to help you win. If you get invaded you are at an advantage already. The invader knows that he will engage in PvP. You don't. The invader doesn't have to fight monsters. You do. And you might be outnumbered.
    There is a reason why invaders can't use Estus, but the invaded can. Use it, it's not unfair or un-honorable.

Network Hub
    As in: "when is it not 'dishonourable' to heal in combat"? If it's an unexpected invasion it's always ok, or at least it should, since you should have every right to use anything at your disposal to fight off the unwanted invader - It's only a dick-move if you heal during consensual PVP as far as i can tell. And by consensual PVP i mean actively summoning someone via red sign or dragon ash thingy into your world.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So just defeated the Covetous Demon solo. Is it me...or is this one of the easiest fights thus far? I mean...Jaba the Hut here wasn't really all that hard. Getting to him is far harder than beating him, in fact. Its an area better run through than fought through, to be honest.

In fact that whole area saw me suicide the loot and use a homeward bone once to get out of the poison clouds right after sprinting for the shiny stuff.

Still enjoying the game. But one concern: Is it just me...or are the boss weapons underwhelming? So far I have obtained one or two of them, and have not been impressed. In particular Twin Blades seem..disappointing. Could be and how I use them, but both these things and the curved sword from the Flexile Sentry seem...unimpressive.

Still though...eager to see what lies ahead.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    In an invasion if you and your opponent bow to one another, then it's a 'real' duel and nobody should heal. If no duel etiquette is observed anything goes.

In the midst of making my mundane character now. Hoooooly crap it's powerful. I'm using the frankly awesome Santier's Spear (actually a halberd) which I made a speed run for right at the start (then a speed run for the ember, I got lucky and my first small smooth stone trade got me a mundane stone), the sheer damage output when buffed is incredible. I just did the Belfry Gargoyles; three taps of R1, that's how long it took to kill each one (with a summoned spirit too).

In case anyone fancies trying out the weapon I'm using (I highly recommend it), you find it in Doors of Pharros behind the first tri-section door in the PvP zone. You need to open at least the middle door section to enter the area. Then you have a useless weapon with 500 durability, which against all common sense you need to break, once it's broken it is indestructible, lighter and takes on an awesome moveset.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 09-05-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    In an invasion if you and your opponent bow to one another, then it's a 'real' duel and nobody should heal. If no duel etiquette is observed anything goes.
    I used to bow to invaders, since I was a Jedi Knight guy.

Yeah, Dark1 taught me it wasn't worth it. If an invader bows to me, they are going to charge and attack me while I bow back (or use the half a second while my bow times out to throw something). If I bow, they are going to attack me. If I bow while I am invading, I will be attacked. And so forth.

My rule is that I won't attack someone while they are bowing, but I am also not going to lower my guard.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

In the midst of making my mundane character now. Hoooooly crap it's powerful. I'm using the frankly awesome Santier's Spear (actually a halberd) which I made a speed run for right at the start (then a speed run for the ember, I got lucky and my first small smooth stone trade got me a mundane stone), the sheer damage output when buffed is incredible. I just did the Belfry Gargoyles; three taps of R1, that's how long it took to kill each one (with a summoned spirit too).
    Well yeah, there is a reason why that thing is hated with a fiery passion by a lot of people (talking about PvP) :D

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany
    So just defeated the Covetous Demon solo. Is it me...or is this one of the easiest fights thus far? I mean...Jaba the Hut here wasn't really all that hard. Getting to him is far harder than beating him, in fact. Its an area better run through than fought through, to be honest.

In fact that whole area saw me suicide the loot and use a homeward bone once to get out of the poison clouds right after sprinting for the shiny stuff.

Still enjoying the game. But one concern: Is it just me...or are the boss weapons underwhelming? So far I have obtained one or two of them, and have not been impressed. In particular Twin Bladesseem..disappointing. Could be and how I use them, but both these things and the curved sword from the Flexile Sentry seem...unimpressive.

Still though...eager to see what lies ahead.
    Yepp, that boss is a hot contender for Easiest Boss in the Game. The other boss in this area is nigh on impossible if you don't know the trick though. So that balances it out. I guess.

Boss weapons are not what they sound like. They still follow the basic rule of the Souls game, that no weapon is stronger than another one per se. Just different strengths and weakness (that's not completely true, but probably the goal). Some of them have unique attacks, but they are, or at least that's my impression, about their looks. They just look really special.

The Twinblades are something pretty special though. Stylepoints galore, but hard to use, since you are locking yourself into a position for quite sometime when you attack. Their physical damage is underwhelming, but since you hit really really fast if your combo connects, they use resins extremely well. Plus they stunlock like crazy. I never used the boss version though, so it might be a bit different there, but I expect it to work in a similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato
    I used to bow to invaders, since I was a Jedi Knight guy.

Yeah, Dark1 taught me it wasn't worth it. If an invader bows to me, they are going to charge and attack me while I bow back (or use the half a second while my bow times out to throw something). If I bow, they are going to attack me. If I bow while I am invading, I will be attacked. And so forth.

My rule is that I won't attack someone while they are bowing, but I am also not going to lower my guard.
    Just embrace the Dark!
    You can cancel emotes now by using the dodge button. So just bow to invaders to bait them into attacking you, dodge and hit them in their honorless body part that is closest to you.

(sorry I couldn't edit my previous post for some reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    As in: "when is it not 'dishonourable' to heal in combat"? If it's an unexpected invasion it's always ok, or at least it should, since you should have every right to use anything at your disposal to fight off the unwanted invader - It's only a dick-move if you heal during consensual PVP as far as i can tell. And by consensual PVP i mean actively summoning someone via red sign or dragon ash thingy into your world.
    Yeah i usually do that, so i guess it's ok. I only ever healed when they used hex poison cloud or toxin cloud... not sure if it was unfair or not.

Other than healing, is it "honorable" to use stuff like poison knives or similar while in consensual PvP?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Still enjoying the game. But one concern: Is it just me...or are the boss weapons underwhelming? So far I have obtained one or two of them, and have not been impressed.
    A couple of the later ones seemed kind of okay on paper and some of them might actually be pretty potent with the right infusion, but they're all pretty situational or gimmicky as far as i can tell... But that shouldn't really come as a surprise since DS1 was somewhat similar in that regard. Thingies like the Furysword were pretty great of course, but even that was somewhat underwhelming in comparison to certain normal weapons once they were fully upgraded - I'd say boss weapons always were sidegrades, rather than upgrades, and apparently that hasn't changed.

Edit:
    Ah and yes, Jabba certainly is one of the easiest bosses in the game. Not the easiest though, since that title definitely goes to dragon rider... by a mile... scratch that... a couple of miles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabiZTjiGlU ... Dark Souls AI at its finest... comedic gold.
    Last edited by Procrastination Giant; 09-05-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Yeah i usually do that, so i guess it's ok. I only ever healed when they used hex poison cloud or toxin cloud... not sure if it was unfair or not.

Other than healing, is it "honorable" to use stuff like poison knives or similar while in consensual PvP?
    I would say: sure!
    As long as you don't throw acid urns at people, you can use what you deem effective. And poisoning people can be very effective, since it creates enormous pressure on people. There are people running dedicated poison builds geared specifically towards duels - poison whips, poison throwing knifes etc.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Is it just me...or are the boss weapons underwhelming? So far I have obtained one or two of them, and have not been impressed. In particular Twin Blades seem..disappointing. Could be and how I use them, but both these things and the curved sword from the Flexile Sentry seem...unimpressive.
    Boss weapons, much like every other weapon in DS2, are a bit hit-and-miss. Some of them are fantastic, some are a matter of taste, some are a waste of time. The various greatshields are pretty good (though outclassed by a certain DS1 returnee), the most poisonous weapon in the game is a boss soul weapon, the most damaging greatsword too. The best faith and int focused melee weapons are all from boss souls. The best medium shield is also boss soul.

The early and minor bosses tend to give some pretty useless weapons (a few exceptions, but generally the case) while major and late-game bosses often give some great gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpel Junior View Post
    The Twinblades are something pretty special though. Stylepoints galore, but hard to use, since you are locking yourself into a position for quite sometime when you attack. Their physical damage is underwhelming, but since you hit really really fast if your combo connects, they use resins extremely well. Plus they stunlock like crazy. I never used the boss version though, so it might be a bit different there, but I expect it to work in a similar fashion.
    I believe the boss twinblade can't be buffed by resins/spells, making it worse than its standard counterparts. I think the best way to use twinblades is with mundane infusion and spell buffs, taking best advantage of its multi-hit moves and ignoring the low base damage.

Another thing the twinblade moveset is great for is guard breaking. The large number of hits compared to your stamina use means anyone trying to block your combo is in for a bad day, you'll smash through their guard and keep on going.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    i honestly forgot about Dragonrider as a boss. But yeah...he gets the crown for easiest boss. Or at least is a serious contender. Provided, of course, that you throw the levers. Or at least one of them. I actually missed one completely and he was still cake. Like I said before, gained about 10 soul levels just helping others with that boss.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I caved, I wanted some hassle-free PvP so I'm now officially a bell-end. That and I want the spell to make my weapon invisible on this character, that's going to be good for so much douchebaggery with, well, a lot of things really. There's a lot more weapon variety in DS2 so being able to conceal what you've got is great.

i honestly forgot about Dragonrider as a boss. But yeah...he gets the crown for easiest boss. Or at least is a serious contender. Provided, of course, that you throw the levers. Or at least one of them. I actually missed one completely and he was still cake. Like I said before, gained about 10 soul levels just helping others with that boss.
    It's a toss-up between Dragonrider and the Prowling Magus and Congregation for me. The latter is such a joke, I hear it's been dubbed DS2's Pinwheel. Hell you don't even get a boss soul from it, I think it's the only boss you don't get one from (apart from the Ancient Dragon of course).

The idea of what is "honourable" and what is not also heavily depends on the level of knowledge and combat skills of the players invoking that "rule" (which only exists in their minds obv.). Often, people will yell "dishonourable!!" anytime they get beaten by something they don't know how to react to.

In DS1 PvP (and maybe DS2 as well) usage of Divine Blessings was frowned upon as they are very fast healing items that - outside of cheating - are only available in limited quantities. So if you see someone spamming DBs you know something's fishy going on.

It really depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you feel that you need healing items to beat someone in a straight up duel, well, you're probably not as good as that other player.

Edit: Remember that there are also Llyod's Talismans if you want to keep someone from healing during a fight.
    Last edited by Squiz; 09-05-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Boss weapons, much like every other weapon in DS2, are a bit hit-and-miss. Some of them are fantastic, some are a matter of taste, some are a waste of time. The various greatshields are pretty good (though outclassed by a certain DS1 returnee), the most poisonous weapon in the game is a boss soul weapon, the most damaging greatsword too. The best faith and int focused melee weapons are all from boss souls. The best medium shield is also boss soul.

The early and minor bosses tend to give some pretty useless weapons (a few exceptions, but generally the case) while major and late-game bosses often give some great gear.

I believe the boss twinblade can't be buffed by resins/spells, making it worse than its standard counterparts. I think the best way to use twinblades is with mundane infusion and spell buffs, taking best advantage of its multi-hit moves and ignoring the low base damage.

Another thing the twinblade moveset is great for is guard breaking. The large number of hits compared to your stamina use means anyone trying to block your combo is in for a bad day, you'll smash through their guard and keep on going.
    Boss weapons have usually very low durability, you can kill a couple enemies and then it breaks apart.

I arrived at the Dragon Shrine, Dragon Riders with unlimited stamina? Alright then.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Okay, started the game with a Swordsman and got to Majula.

I'm very impressed so far, good job FROM. The feeling of desolation and loneliness is incredible.
    Now let's get down to business: any important things in Things Betwixt? I probably missed one of the mist doors and the Troll creature. Should I go back?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    Okay, started the game with a Swordsman and got to Majula.

I'm very impressed so far, good job FROM. The feeling of desolation and loneliness is incredible.
    Now let's get down to business: any important things in Things Betwixt? I probably missed one of the mist doors and the Troll creature. Should I go back?
    When it comes to items, lore or secrets in general there doesn't seem to be anything that could be easily missed in Things Betwixt, so as long as you've found the crow's nest (and i'd wager that it's impossible to miss anyway) i wouldn't worry about it for now. It might be worth trying to kill the very first ogre (the one on the path to the left before the house), though, since he drops an item that can be somewhat useful on melee characters early on - It's nothing groundbreaking and gets replaced fairly quickly, but the ogres are easy to kill once you know their moveset, so you might aswell try.

I was worried about missing out on something during the opening act (Things Betwixt) as well, but afaik there isn't anything that cannot be picked up later on. The first hippo/troll is guarding a somewhat useful consumable item (nothing exclusive though) but you don't need to kill it to acquire said item, just run around it.

There is one tiny thing though which one could potentially see as an easter egg, close to the two hippos by the underground lake / shore site. Spoiler: Have you tried interacting with the coffin? :)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    There is one tiny thing though which one could potentially see as an easter egg, close to the two hippos by the underground lake / shore site. Spoiler: Have you tried interacting with the coffin? :)
    Ah yes... It took me quite a while to figure out what that thing actually does - I, for one, think that it's quite brilliant that it's located in a zone called "things betwixt"... *cough*