Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

A Voyage in PC Retail

This weekend I have been in the fair city of Leeds (in England, for those not in the know). I went shopping for several hours in its centre, including 4 game shops. My mission: pick up a copy of Space Marine for the PC.

I failed. Miserably.

Culprit 1: HMV

After discussing SM on here, someone suggested the PC stock of the HMV in Leeds city centre was pretty decent. I would disagree with that. Of the several rows dedicated to a variety of platforms, the PC was relegated to about 2 smallish shelves. There was no Space Marine on the PC. There was no indication they even stocked it. There were a few of the bigger titles from the year viewable, but there was also some shovelware. And WoW. And The Sims.

Culprit 2: GAME (1)

Whilst the PC section was small, there were a few shelves and indeed, there were cases of Space Marine, albeit the "pre-order" 'Elite Armour' pack (that they somehow deemed enough justification to sell at 35 or ~$57) that comes with 4 custom MP skins. They had run out of stock. No surprise, as all the pre-orders for the PC version sold out on release the day before. All 2 copies. They suggested their sister shop literally round the corner might have...

Culprit 3: GAME (2)

Similar to the above, Elite Armour pack cases were on the shelf. Alarmingly, these were actually priced 40, or about $65. I confronted one of the member's of staff, politely, about the price point.
    Me - "I was just round the corner in the other GAME shop and noticed the price was 5 cheaper."
    Staff (looked like a manager) - "That's up to them, the price it's supposed to be is 40 on PC."
    Me - "Don't you think that's a little bit silly that the same chain right round the corner is selling the same product 5 cheaper?"
    Staff - "That's up to them, they're known for lowering prices to try and compete."
    They also had no copies.

Culprit 4: Gamestation (owned as part of the GAME family)

I actually had difficulty finding any PC stock. They had some, but it was the de facto Sims and WoW stuff. I thought I saw a Football Manager too. I went to the counter to ask if they had SM on PC. Two of them checked. Between them, they weren't sure if they had sold out or simply hadn't stocked it in.

After a total 40 minutes searching 4 game shops, I did not come away with a copy of Space Marine for the PC. Naturally, each one had stock for the 360 and PS3.

PC gaming isn't dead, folks, retail's just extremely thick.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Have you tried Amazon?
    Kcuf retail. :)

Saying that, I was in Cardiff on the 4th and popped into That's Entertainment. I picked up XIII, Call of Duty, CoD: UO and Prey all for 5.99! Prey activated on Steam too!

I've been moving about the last few days and will be this following week (returning to uni) so ordering has been a pain. I knew I'd be shopping and wouldn't have chance to play prior, so thought "What the hell?". Amazon will probably be where I go though.

The crazy thing is, some shops will have some randomly brilliant sales on PC titles, but it's so rare you miss them most of the time. Honestly, I know retail gets a lot of its money from the console versions, but if you don't provide stock, people obviously can't buy it. I wanted to give one of those four shops my money yesterday (well, except the second GAME).
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    GameStop does the same thing here in the States: If it chooses to stock a game, which is unlikely, it'll order all of four copies - of which, due to pre-orders (who pre-orders from a brick & mortar nowadays, anyway?), none are available.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Yeah, brick-and-mortar retail is pretty much dead for PC games. You can certainly still get physical copies of lots of games, but ordering online's the only practical option for them. Even that's become harder here in the U.S. since GoGamer went offline. I miss that place.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Yeah, brick-and-mortar retail is pretty much dead for PC games. You can certainly still get physical copies of lots of games, but ordering online's the only practical option for them. Even that's become harder here in the U.S. since GoGamer went offline. I miss that place.
    When a game is a full 10 from the same online retail as the actual store it makes buying there a complete joke

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    since GoGamer went offline. I miss that place.
    :'(

I have a whole stack of retail games up in my closet that is probably half due to them.

For some reason, I feel that this thread is out of place here..

But I understand. A shop where I even used to work at here in Vienna, an independant one, actually closed its doors. I think they only sell translate software anymore, because they have a chinese "school" as well. (which I also worked for at some point)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Did you try PC World? They have games upstairs for the PC.

Sucks to hear about HMV, though. Last time I went in they had... Six shelves, I think (Two of those shelving units). How utterly bizarre.

I didn't try PC World, but I was pretty bummed out by then. I probably should have. I also needed more time to kill, so that'd have been a good idea! I'll accept I am going off memory with HMV, so it could have been a bit more, but I remember going there and thinking "Yeah, this is a pretty pathetic attempt." So it could have been more; both GAME's definitely stocked far more. Of course, HMV wins because I was at least able to find the PC section.

Regardless, I'd still actually say my biggest issue was with GAME (surprised, anyone?) simply due to the price differences both from pretty much everywhere else and with each other.

And for all the fuss over digital distribution, which I do use, I'm one of those crazy people who just likes to have the box and disc. It feels like I own the game...and certain box arts are cool. There are a few other advantages or wants for it, but ultimately there's a pretty good feeling waiting to take a game home/come through the door and then opening it up that digital just can't beat.