Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    WWW.play.com pulled an utter Richard move the other week, they sent the wrong DVD, demanded we returned it, paid for the return and refused to send what was ordered until they recieved the other DVD back.

Half an hour later of arguing with them they sent the right order... Still not recieved the "pre paid returns bag" I imagine the operator just wrote it off as lost.

Activated Node
    Grainger Games?! Oh *insert deity*; the ORANGE! I feel nauseous just seeing the outside!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    When I popped back to the uk I found that:

(a) there are no cd shops anymore? What happened? Why is HMV full of console games and has less cds than me?
    ahem
    (b) the PC sections were small, but they mostly consisted of "2 for 5quid" or "3 for 10 quid" or "3 for 20 quid" so if you could find enough games you wanted you could actually pick things up pretty cheap (cheaper than steam at least) in those deals.
    (c) 2nd hand seems to have taken over the world - but that means you can pick up lots of games used for pretty low prices.

seriously though, where did all the cds go?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    HMV is a (soon to go bust) DVD store now. They haven't sold many CDs for quite some time. As for games they usually have 3 or 4 rows worth, but my local doesn't even stock PC games, so I never look in there anymore for games.

If I were buying from a shop, which is incredibly rare, GAME would probably be where I looked, as their deals are actually not that bad. Having said that, I think I've bought all the games I would want from there 3 for 10/2 for 15/2 for 25 and they don't seem to ever update it with newer releases.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Software Dschungel? I assume that's it as the domain seems to be parked.

Didn't know they closed, kind of sad - loved browsing there and pestering them about my preorders ;)
    Yes, they did. Last time I was there, which was over two years ago, the boss was running the shop, and he didnt know anything about my spore preorder.. (it never came, btw) now its just dead.

Software Dschungel was one of the first stores I went to in austria, when I moved here. I actually bought X-Com Apocalypse there.. (not that Ive been living here for so long, just that I never did buy that game and I really wanted to.. this was in 2001 or 2002)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Tesco or one of the other supermarkets would have stocked it.
    I think the last time I brought a physical retail game it was MTW2 from Tesco.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorum View Post
    Tesco or one of the other supermarkets would have stocked it.
    I think the last time I brought a physical retail game it was MTW2 from Tesco.
    Very few supermarkets stock PC games. I've been to Tesco and Sainsbury stores of various sizes, and very rarely do PC games come in. Last time I saw a "new" PC game in a Tesco was WoW: Cataclysm, which I assume they had in because people would be coming in to stock up on Doritos, Mountain Dew Energy/Lucozade/Pepsi/Whatever and the rest of that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Very few supermarkets stock PC games. I've been to Tesco and Sainsbury stores of various sizes, and very rarely do PC games come in. Last time I saw a "new" PC game in a Tesco was WoW: Cataclysm, which I assume they had in because people would be coming in to stock up on Doritos, Mountain Dew Energy/Lucozade/Pepsi/Whatever and the rest of that crap.
    hmm, my local Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda have a pc section. It is usually small (20 titles tops) but always seems to have the current "top ten" type big release games. I guess it varies by region.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    You also missed Grainger Games in the Merrion centre. They don't have much PC stock either, but they do have some.

The funny thing is, what you say of Leeds is very much true. In contrast GAME in Nottingham (it is admittedly a bigger store) has a pretty large PC selection. Sadly, their budget range - 3 for £20 - is still the exact same games as were in 3 for £20 8-10 years ago, when it was a good deal. But you can pick up most new stuff if you want it.
    I will guess you haven't been there in a while. The second GAME is now tiny and stocks next to no PC games. The big one has been making the PC section smaller and smaller for ages now. But then I'm a PC gamer and I never buy games from them. No sense complaining when that is essentially why they don't stock them.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CrinnyCow View Post
    I've noticed that Target stores here in the US at least attempt to have a PC section. They normally have a little display with games like The Witcher 2, Shogun, STALKER, Some C&C games and just general PC titles. I haven't been to a Target since SM released and I know that this won't help you guys over in Europe. Just thought I'd give some input in response to Red Squirrel.
    They're normally a bit pricey, though.

It used to be I could get stuff - DVDs, CDs, Games - cheap on my regular trips to the states. Now everything is far more expensive, even accounting for the various changes in the pound-dollar exchange rate.

That said, locally (Falkirk) almost every shop - be it supermarket, HMV or Game - has removed or decimated their PC section. The retail market is definitely dying out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Bumpity bump.

So, after getting interested in Skyrim, I tried to buy it online at GAME due to having some store credit. I had forgotten my password, used up all my attempts accidentally and tried to have a password sent out, but it has yet to arrive.

So I went to an actual store! That was my mistake. After waiting in a queue of all the people buying MW3, I went to make my pre-order.
    "Hello, I'd like to place a pre-order for the PC version of Skyrim."
    "Which version would you like?"
    "The basic one, please."
    *Looks a chart with the options, finds one then points it out. It is pointing at the basic one with the Brady Games guide* "That one?"
    "No thanks, just the basic, lone game, please."
    "Errrm, one moment." *Picks up other chart* "This one?"
    "Yes, thanks!"
    *Taps away* "It's a £5 deposit."
    "Okay, well, would I be able to pay it all now then?"
    "We don't do that with pre-orders. You can pay £5 for the deposit and put the rest on a gift card?"
    "No, it's okay, I'll leave it...hang on, what's the actual price of the game?" *After realising it wasn't on the chart*
    "Should be around £45."
    "For the PC version?! It's £30 on your website."
    "Oh, no, sorry, I'm not sure. Hold on." *Asks manager next to her, he replies* "Probably £40, but we don't know the price yet."
    "...oh, errrm, okay."
    "What do you want to do then?"
    "I think I might leave it for the mo then, sorry about this."

How can you not know the price of a game 2 days before release? In addition, why would you make an estimate based off console prices?

I went into the local HMV too to see, on the off-chance, if they had anything. They had a small box up for pre-orders for the 360 and PS3 versions, and I couldn't actually locate any PC game stock.

I am still trying to get a hold of a decently priced Skyrim pre-order.