Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, up to episode 4 at least, this series is 80% not the books.
    The things going on at the wall are about the only thing that is following what I remember from the books. (though I don't remember all the details of the books, so I may be missing a few things).

I'm undecided yet whether I like it or not.

PS/ I don't think there's much in that later books to rival the red wedding and a few of the big shocks from the first few books. Though the TV producers will probably feel some pressure to invent something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Actual plot beats don't seem to stray very far from the books so far, it's just that a lot of characters have been merged or shuffled around to replace other minor characters.

MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHOW AND/OR READ THE BOOKS

Stuff that's mostly the same:

Events at the wall with the Watch and Stannis seem mostly the same, apart from Mance apparently not having a wife and child.

Arya is in Braavos hanging out with the Faceless Men.

In King's Landing things seem to stick to the script so far. Can't think of any major departures apart from Loras being taken by the Sparrows (at least I don't remember that happening in the books).

Tyrion is on his way to Mereen. Not in the same company as in the books, but that doesn't seem a big deal.

Daenerys et al are losing the battle for hearts and minds in Mereen.

In Dorne the Sand Snakes are all angry and plotting and stuff.

Bran is supposedly just hanging out where he "should" be according to the books.

Some big differences:

Sansa and Littlefinger aren't going to The Fingers and Sansa ends up actually being promised to Ramsay Bolton. This is kind of bizarre, but I can't remember anything much of interest happening in The Fingers in the books, so I'll go with it for now. Could be a huge departure from the story in books 5 & 6. Events in Winterfell could still play out pretty much the same.

Jaime and Bronn are going to Dorne. Neither did much of interest in the last two books, so it makes some sense to keep them relevant and active in the plot instead of introducing new PoV characters.

Brienne and Pod have had their path changed completely from the books, but that's been the case since they set out from King's Landing. It seems the Brotherhood, Lady Stoneheart and all of the later Riverrun stuff has been completely cut from the show, so they pretty much had to give them something else to do.

We haven't really seen anything of the Iron Isles yet.

That's all I can think of. Did I miss something major that wasn't just cut content or replaced characters?
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 27-04-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Sam's adventure, though I suppose that happens after Stannis leaves the wall.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I really don't see that happening because the whole Maester training area seems like one of those things that you can safely excise from the plot and not much would have changed...
    Last edited by Xercies; 27-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, many of the major directions are the same, but a lot of the details are different.

Hey, Bran! I'd forgotten all about him! Other thoughts (Based on first 4 episodes):

- Cersi's actions with the faith-militant seem remarkably dumb when compressed into half an episode.
    - Bran and Arya basically have nothing to do this season except hang out, right?
    - The introduction of Dorne has been rather disappointing so far. I'd imagined them introducing it and the cool characters (The Sand Snakes, etc..) in a more impressive way.
    - I'd be amazed if they don't re-introduce Lady Stoneheart and the Brotherhood at some point, given the popularity of the character and that they're going to be in dire need of plot filler after cutting 50% of the books.
    - Not at all persuaded by the continuing buddy-cop adventures of Jamie and Bron. It makes sense from the show's viewpoint to keep them around and on screen, but it's turning them into generic hero guys in a show that's basically about there being no generic hero guys.
    - I haven't really found this season that involving so far. That's partly due to events in the books, but I actually preferred the books. They've clearly decided to cut a lot of the new characters from the later books, but those characters were the ones actually DOING most of the interesting stuff in the later books. Without those guys the rest of the season is basically Bran, Aryya, Tyrion hanging out where they are.
    - Hopefully Dorne will pick up and they won't mess up King's Landing and Winterfell.

[edit] whited out the text for spoilers... sorry, forgot first time. Don't think there was much in there though. [/edit]
    Last edited by BillButNotBen; 28-04-2015 at 03:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Bran and Arya don't have much more written about them so they'll have to start making things up or put them on hold. There's a bit more for Arya as she lets go of her identity, but nothing very exciting.

The Cersei and sparrows bit was very quickly gotten out of the way, and I wonder if TV viewers will understand just how much she screwed herself in that scene. Another case where not having the internal monologue of the characters is a bit of a problem, I suppose.

The Sand Snakes just chatting at a tent was a bit dull, yes, I hope they can make something interesting of that as it goes along.

I'm a bit surprised they've just ignored events in the Riverlands completely. I'm not fond of the Lady Stoneheart stuff from the books, but it's odd that they've dropped a bunch of established characters like this. Jaime doesn't go to sort out the Lannister army of course and the Brotherhood has been absent since season... 2? 3? We haven't seen the Blackfish at all and don't even know if Riverrun is under siege in the show. Who knows, they may have Brienne head back to the Riverlands to reintroduce all of that.

What else is there to introduce from the books? Targaryen Jr seems cut. I hope they don't cut out too much of what happens in White Harbour (leading on to Winterfell).

Sam going to the citadel, perhaps? Not a whole lot substantial about that is written in the books yet either, and Mance's son isn't around. There's going to be a lot of setup to do at the Wall in any case, but it would seem weird to keep Sam there given what's going to go down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I have a feeling that Sam is going to go off with Stannis instead of over the water...but i could be wrong.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm surprised how dull the sand snakes introduction was, considering how they aced the Oberyn introduction and actually made him much more popular than in the books.
    It shows how interesting it was that I don't actually remember if Arriane was there, since the 3 young women introduced were pretty interchangable in that scene.

Since they've dumped Ser Arys and half the other characters, I guess one of the buddy-cop duo from Kings Landing will have to fill in that role. If they didn't dump Arriane.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I'm a bit surprised they've just ignored events in the Riverlands completely. I'm not fond of the Lady Stoneheart stuff from the books, but it's odd that they've dropped a bunch of established characters like this. Jaime doesn't go to sort out the Lannister army of course and the Brotherhood has been absent since season... 2? 3? We haven't seen the Blackfish at all and don't even know if Riverrun is under siege in the show. Who knows, they may have Brienne head back to the Riverlands to reintroduce all of that.
    It might happen, but in large part they're subject to the actors being available. Part of the reason for changing things up with certain story lines has to be down to keeping people on book. People get paid on the basis of episode appearance after all, and so they need to find reasons for them to be around. The Jamie/Bronn relationship was brought into being as a result of the actor playing Ilyn Payne having to leave the show due to ill health (though apparently he's recovered now) and their adventures in Dorne is the perfect opportunity for them to keep the actors busy as well as provide some engagement with the Dornish contingent. I think if we were going to get lady stoneheart it would of happened before now for sure though. I can't say I'm overly upset by her absence though. I'm enjoying the divergences.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I have a feeling that Sam is going to go off with Stannis instead of over the water...but i could be wrong.
    Yeah I'm not sure we're getting Old Town.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil
    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men
    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....
    The Conclave beckons... PM for details