Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I need a new Shooter

Orite lads, figured I should ask it here cause you guys would have your ears to the ground and know whats up. Basically I been running a clan for a while, still love the game (Planetside 2, Connery NC), but I've grown to hate the entrenched incompetence of the people who play it, not just in terms of the backup from other outfits being useless, never being able to organize a decent push or a unified defense, but new recruits who 'arent' useless are becoming few and far between (most of the good leaders stopped playing, which makes troopers used to bad leaders, which turns into a vicious cycle of bad leadership encouraged by bad discipline, and bad discipline taught by bad leadership), but hey, that's not what I came here to rant about, though for the record it is something I could rant about for hours.

Basically what I want to ask, is there any team based shooters on their way? Ones that have room for high levels of training and coordination? Basically the only ones I can think of that I'm interested in is the new Rainbow 6 (which is a little small scale for my taste), Star Citizen FPS Module (a game I don't want to burn out on before PU is released) and EVE: Project Legion (which at this point in time is an unknown quantity).

I'm considering breaking apart my Planetside 2 operation, refocusing on building a general community, then when a new game comes out double down and form a dedicated subdivision of my clan for it. Is there anything on the horizon I should know about? Anything to whet the appetite of a grizzled veteran such as myself? A shooter with an emphasis on teamwork, preferably large scale, that can really fill that hole for me?

(and yes I have considered Arma 3 and several other existing games, but its a little late in their lifecycle, I want to be in at ground level)

Network Hub
    Well, maybe Battlefield 4?
    It seems to have exactly what you want. You can have 4 man squads and 16-32 man teams.
    Game is mostly focused on taking objectives and using vehicles to your advantage. Communications are essential, otherwise people just keep spawning at the same places and become an assembly-line of death.
    Its high skill level though, especially for learning vehicles. Other than that, its basic FPS stuff.

For a more personal small level, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is pretty good. It has everything you want, but it also relies exceptionally heavily on individual skills. But trust me, the amount of strategy and tactics involved in bomb defusal maps is diverse, and strategies/tactics change in seconds, depending on what your team does or the enemy team does, who they kill and who dies.
    No vehicles or large environments though.

As an aside, give Terran Republic or Vanu Sovereignty a shot. I won't say that both factions aren't full of idiots like the NC, but they have some fantastic clans. Terran Republican Guard are good dudes.

I can't offer relevant advice on new games to concentrate upon. ArmA 3 will be around for a long time, but there are established groups there that you'd be competing with for "setting up an organization".

Maybe try Natural Selection 2?

I tried Battlefield 3 recently because it was sitting in my origin inventory and it just felt... aimless? Sorta like the Michael Bay of shooters, all style little substance. Sorta reminded me of when family guy got big and the simpsons tried to copy it and lost what made it good, except it tried to copy CoD (why would you do that, WHY). Not only that I feel that they've made it too fast paced and its lost the 'measured' pace that for example BF2142 had (I was scary good in BF2142 btw =P). I want a grown mans shooter if you know what I mean, a thinking mans shooter, something that's more about discipline and positioning than reflex's.

And aye, thought about CS:GO but I'm less interested in individual skill than teamwork.

Honestly dude, I can not be bothered leveling up to BR100 again, and dude, I've subtlely checked out at least 20 or so NC outfits the past month, even some of the high end (I won't name names) ones are a shadow of their former self.

And I'm sure they are nice guys, but I been running a tight ship too long to settle for 'nice', and I been running a tight ship for too long to be an underling if ye know what I mean, its getting real hard for me to turn off 'leader mode', I need a shooter that gives me room to move, room to form a team from the ground level up, cause I'm learned a helluva lot since PS2 is launched, wanna apply that mountain of knowledge to starting out on the ground level with something.

And yo man, you check out that link I posted? I don't mess around man. I want to apply what I've learned to the ground level of a game, be there from the start knameen.
    http://www.thebastards-clan.com/foru...al-third-draft

Natural Selection 2, again tempting, but a bit late in its lifecycle, most of the good players woulda left it. Thought about Red Orchestra 2 also, but its too hard to regroup in the field with your squad, very little in the way of built in logistical support.

Heard about anything on the horizon? I can't seem to find anything that'll fill a 'planetside shaped hole'.
    Last edited by AceRimmer; 28-09-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    Dear Leader - The Bastards - www.thebastards-clan.com

I suppose I could always singlehandedly revive the Battlezone 2 community, damn that game was good. But nar, too archaic, too hard to recruit for. =P

Hell, its either that or I could bide my time and wait for Battlefront 3 or Warband 2, but then again, they a bit too far out.
    Last edited by AceRimmer; 28-09-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Why not just try planetside 2?
    Once i joined a 10 ppl tem or so, we just went on from point to point capping the lone ones with low defense.
    Pretty fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Hmm, let's see
    Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm and Insurgency both emphasize objective play a lot. They are very much hardcore, but I find them both rather fun - That being said, I sink most of my time on FPS into playing with the BF4 clan I am part off and yeah, BF4 is probably pretty similar as PS2 when it comes to the general incompetence of most people. Red Orchestra and Insurgency do have more competetent players, mainly because the people that buy those specific games are the sort of folks who like objective play.

I also hear great things about Natural Selection 2, but I haven't played that one.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 28-09-2014 at 03:45 PM.

As I have already stated, I have a Connery NC BR100, I got a couple thousand hours on leadership alone in that game, I run an outfit and have done so since closed beta, I can't be bothered rolling an alt and I can't be bothered following someone who ain't done 10% of the RnD I have. I've been sick for a couple months and as a result overall outfit activity levels have dropped off, and its a bit late in the games lifespan to rebuild from scratch (the type of players I'm after are 1 in 100, and are getting fewer and fewer), though I am gonna give it 'one last crack' after I shake my current bout with insomnia and can get activity levels at regular times with regular efficiency. And to be quite frank, there's a lot of 'ok' outfits out there, give me a squad that I've trained and I'll take a crap on any one of em through superior discipline, teamwork, positioning and movement, regardless of what their precious KD's are, done it plenty o times.
    Last edited by AceRimmer; 28-09-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Red Orchestra 2 I found too hard to regroup with your squad in the field and I really want that squad level gameplay, and insurgency, don't recognize that one, will check it out.

As for new games, there's also Verdun - an objective based WW1 shooter coming up.

Verdun looked okay, but not sure if its got that extra 'something' to hold my attention long term, and checked out a trailer for this Insurgency game, gonna try n talk a couple of the lads into checking it out, should be interesting.

Thinking maybe checking out the division, that could be good, teach people basic tactics and whatnot to make us more competitive in pvp, could be fun.

Side question: Why jump into a new game? Isn't jumping into an older but well-researched game in itself an interesting challenge?
    Also, suddenly, CS:GO springs to mind, which is a team based shooter (5v5) with very high levels of coordination and training going on - it's basically the FPS eSport at the moment. Why not that?

Brink could use a revival.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I played Brink for a short while, but it didn't seem to do anything that Team Fortress 2 did - except that TF2 did them better.

Sure, the freerunning system was nice, but in the end it was more of a gimmick to give maps lots of graphical details without sacrificing on players' mobility.

If you want to try warframe, it's pretty good when you just want to waste some time and cut enemies in half, though i rather hate its' shop.

Due Process.
    Very wip.

+1 for csgo and ns2

Project Free Fall is going for a new tech demo build and should be playable in a decent way by december (while looking very tech demo and everything because it has a very small team).

Legions 2 and legacy are wip and I have no idea how things are going

Reflex won't happen before a year or two...

reborn seems dead

Evolve looks mhe but asymmetric team based stuff is like teh future to some people
    Last edited by Wenz; 28-09-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    post in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Side question: Why jump into a new game? Isn't jumping into an older but well-researched game in itself an interesting challenge?
    Cause I want to start on even footing, I don't want to compete for members with clans that have been around for 3 years and have everything polished, I want a fair crack if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Also, suddenly, CS:GO springs to mind, which is a team based shooter (5v5) with very high levels of coordination and training going on - it's basically the FPS eSport at the moment. Why not that?
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Cause I want to start on even footing, I don't want to compete for members with clans that have been around for 3 years and have everything polished, I want a fair crack if you know what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    And aye, thought about CS:GO but I'm less interested in individual skill than teamwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    If you want to try warframe, it's pretty good when you just want to waste some time and cut enemies in half, though i rather hate its' shop.
    Already burnt out on warframe, got a bunch of lvl30 stuff and half a dozen suits, havent played for 6 months and patching it to play with an old buddy, though can't really handle more than a mission or 2 of it at a time these days.

Also sorry if I'm coming across very negative here guys, just not a decision I wanna take lightly so being very critical. Looking for a game that I can dump my mountain of knowledge on, drop a few thousand hours of time on over a period of years and build a competitive team on.

I'm one of those sick freaks that will happily sit and read the ranger handbook and old samurai philosophy n all dat then tear it apart to figure out what does and does not translate, what I can learn and what I can use, almost enjoy the learning process as much as the act of shooting people =P. Hell starting to get to the point where I can 'see the matrix' when surveying the field if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by AceRimmer; 28-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Cutting paths with rockets is the most matrix code you' ll ever see imho.
    post in progress