Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I mentioned earlier - GT and Forza have some licence to throw DLC at people "because they are massive and have almost no competition" - and because, if we're honest, the majority of people don't actually play those games online as much as - say - something like iRacing where online racing is the main thing.

DLC in a racing game is an issue IMO - esp if it's Day 1 and there's a lot of it - it actively deters me from bothering with a game (not just racing ones) - I'll just wait for the GOTY plx thx
    Yeah, but even if they did, the DLC wouldn't be an issue because - as far as Forza and GT go at least - they handle the DLC properly and don't stop people from playing with people who own different DLC to them. GT5 went as far as to allow people who didn't own the Spa or Motegi DLC to enter lobbies racing on that circuit, too. The same can't be said of Race 07 and the like but they predate 'DLC' as a thing distinct from an 'expansion pack' anyway I guess.

But yeah, lots of DLC - if it's stuff I think I want - does put me off too. Games that you just know will have a ton of DLC usually get put on the back burner for me, like Skyrim; I only just bought that in this summer sale (with the DLC). Dirt 3 put me off ever buying a Codemasters game unless it's really cheap since I bought something I couldn't even complete 100% without DLC and then to make things worse they went and released the 'Complete' edition (on consoles only, though, while the PC DLC is all on GFWL so there's no chance of it ever being made any cheaper)! In the case of Project CARS, I've already pre-ordered my copy so whatever, if they release a shitload of DLC I'll just buy it when it's cheap or something.

Network Hub
    The iRacing update turned out more interesting than expected. The Lotus 49 is probably the most changed car. The increased weight and the improved tyre model have made it much more straightforward to drive and it should see more people driving it. The new tyre model seems to now punish the somewhat unrealistic driving styles required in some cars (lack of tyre wear meant people were sliding an unrealistic amount) and I think this should lead to better racing.

The DW12 road version which has just arrived is an absolute delight. The default road setups are a bit understeery but adding front wing fixes that in high speed corners, while working with diff can fix that in low speed corners (you want a lower coast ramp to improve turn-in under braking).

Overall a rather more pleasing update than it first appeared.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Crossposting from the PC Bargains thread, because this is pretty nifty!

PC Gamer's last giveaway is actually a very good one: GTR Evolution, one of the add-on packs for Race07, and it apparently also gives you the base Race07 game (I haven't claimed the key since I already have the game so I'm not completely sure about this). Great racing games that everyone with even a passing interest on driving games should have. BundleStars also has a pretty good sale on other SimBin games, including GTR2 and GTL.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 23-07-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Crossposting from the PC Bargains thread, because this is pretty nifty!
    Well worth grabbing that if anyone here hasn't got it. The old Simbin games make a great gateway drug into the world of sim racing.

Network Hub
    I'll just leave this here. RFactor 1 mod if anyone's interested.

Yay, the 1.11 patch for ETS2 is out! Let's go to Venice! Let's go to Graz! Let's adjust our seats! Let's hope the new AI is really better!

Oh, don't look at me like that. You all play ETS2, admit it. And if you don't, you should!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Oh, don't look at me like that. You all play ETS2, admit it. And if you don't, you should!
    ETS2 is all kinds of brilliant. While I don't play it a lot, I do want the Scandinavia DLC and\or American Truck Sim - and perhaps would love to drive a car instead of a truck.

@hariseldon: ...I don't understand. Horses with a manual transmission and capable of reaching 200 kmh. The human race truly is lagging behind.
    Last edited by Prolar Bear; 28-07-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ETS2 is great but it's not really a driving game is it? It's a sitting watching the world go by game at best...

It's very, very relaxing tho ;0

Network Hub

Look at this. I wasn't really bothered about getting a Rift before, but now I feel like I definitely need this in my life. Amazing.

It's very, very relaxing tho ;0
    John, wake up! you're drooling all over the keyboard now!
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

So there's something going on at Simbin. It started with a facebook post from an employee apparently just laid off claiming the company had gone bankrupt. Now another employee says it's just a "major restructuring", and that development should continue normally.

Full news here: http://www.racedepartment.com/thread...rumours.90667/

Network Hub
    Disappointing to hear of the loss of Simbin, though they've not really been Simbin for some time. I think personally that RaceRoom was a terrible execution of a potentially decent idea (and there may be a decent engine underneath it). The problem is that the game doesn't exactly invite you in, offers little clue as to what it expects of you and getting into a car and driving it proves somewhat tricky (and the fact that you don't get to race people.. wtf?). The menu is absolutely shot to pieces and makes no sense, users will inevitably try it once, decide it's crap because they can't actually do anything with it and move on. If Simbin is indeed dead then RaceRoom is what killed it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    erm - Colin McRae Rally just showed-up on Steam

Not sure exactly what we're looking at - one review suggests it's Unity-based and borrows content from multiple older games - the word 'arcadey' is used a bit

That's a surprise-and-a-half surely?

p.s. - aha - methinks it's a port of the mobile 'remix' version they released recently. Being Unity, you're likely to crash headlong into some issues with controls (there is talk that the steering is 100% digital, for example)

Hmmmzzz
    Last edited by trjp; 31-07-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Yeah, it seems to be a port of the mobile version. Speaking of Codemasters, today there was a big Grid:AS patch that *finally* added a time trial mode, and it looks like tomorrow they'll announce F1 2014 - there is some expectation that this will be more than simply a FIFA-like upgrade, since it's being released on the new consoles as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They really have to get their act together on F1 games - they should be out at the START OF THE SEASON surely?

At this rate they'll be releasing it after it's done!?

Mind you - the last F1 wasn't bad - the 'classics' add-on was a BIT arcadey but offers some nice car/track options to break-up the processions ;0

p.s. have they patched GFWL out of Dirt3 yet AND released the DLC through Steam - they announced that last November, that's 9 months ago...
    Last edited by trjp; 31-07-2014 at 03:37 AM.

I'm pretty sure the issue with the release date is a restriction from FIA - nothing Codemasters can do about that (same reason why there isn't a driver market for career mode, and why damage isn't realistic, etc.). I read something about that way back in F1 2011, but I can try digging that info up if you want.

I haven't heard anything about Dirt3, though. (but I remember that announcement).

edit: found this from a community manager in the steam forums:

Right... here's the thing and I'll lay it all out for you as best as I can. Last year when I posted that original post I'd been pushing for months to get us to move DiRT3 over to Steam. It was all scheduled up, cost was associated to it everybody was ready to start the work in Feb.

Then something happened (and I won't discuss what) but the project was delayed, I can assure you this annoyed me way more than it annoyed you. I kept the pressure up on the right people and I have been ever since.

We've been exploring other options trying to find a solution but we kept getting so far down the path before hitting a road block and having to start again.

Now we currently have one in place, but... I'm not going to be sharing the details of that with you. Is this because of the almost daily abuse I get from a lot of you other this? No. I've got a thicker skin than that.

Its because I don't want to let you down again.
    Reads like "delayed indefinitely" to me.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 31-07-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Activated Node
    They really have to get their act together on F1 games - they should be out at the START OF THE SEASON surely?
    That would be a bit of a stretch, given how cagey teams are about the designs of their cars right up until a few weeks before the first race.

F1 2014 announced and I was wrong, it's still "current gen". And it likely will be a FIFA-like upgrade, since the main thing they said, other than the obvious rule changes, was that it'll be "easier for newcomers". However, F1 2015 will be "next gen" and released "earlier in the season". So maybe April/May?

In any case, looks like it'll be safe to give F1 2014 a miss unless you really really want to play Formula Mercedes, I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Codemasters are quickly turning into a business I don't really want to support.

Their passion for DLCing every game to the roof and then not supporting the game thereafter is getting out of control.

Removing GFWL from Dirt3 wouldn't have been a big job but there's also the issue of Dirt2 - it remains one of the best racing games ever made but they've chosen to drop-it/remove it from sale. Hell, they could just have excised it's online stuff and it would still be a better buy than Dirt 3 as-is

A company who are addicted to nickel-and-dime DLC but who can't be bothered to update their games when the DLC reseller closes their shop - isn't a company we should be supporting at all.

p.s. of course they have a long history of half-arsing the job. When their website was hacked they ran with a Facebook page for at least a year? There's not a lot of passion in what they do, is there?

So I just had the first online race of my life, on Game Stock Car Extreme. We raced the Clio Cup mod at Cadwell Park, and it was just so, so much fun. I've been spending a lot of time with GSCE (which is why I sorta neglected this week's AC hotlap tournament, sorry!), and the more I play it, the more I like it.

AC has more bells and whistles, and when it's done it'll probably be the best sim around, but if you want to race other than hotlap, I think GSCE has the upper hand right now. There's a ton of content in the base package (Brazilian stock cars, Minis, Camaros, F3, 60s F1, 70s F1, current F1, 2000s F1, karts...), lots of tracks (admittedly, mostly Brazilian ones that aren't very well known). But there are also tons and tons of mods, since converting from rFactor isn't hard.

And I can't say properly *why* that is, but the feeling of driving right now is better in GSCE than in AC. There's a better sense of speed, force feedback is better, cars seem to behave better... I don't know. If you haven't tried yet, do so (you can play the game for 60 minutes before having to pay).