Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post

I'm going to have to run an Oval now aren't I? That's not really my cuppa but - well - ah - hmmmm....
    You definitely shouldn't deny yourself the circle driving. Rookie oval racing is an horrific cesspool of scum and villainy, featuring people who can't drive a 55mph pace lap without smashing into someone, but if you skip it you'd be missing out on fun like this.

Network Hub
    I set my mirror to 130 fov so I know when they're alongside from behind, triple monitors help for the other 130 and there's about 50 blind spot each side which is fine really (F3 will generally indicate they are there at that point plus I'll have a rough idea where they are anyway from the approach). Btw spectate bottom split street stocks for fun sometime. They're epic. Then enjoy some 200mph chess in the indy car oval races. Now THAT is fun.
    Last edited by hariseldon; 17-08-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    So I heard F1 2013 still has the FFB bug where it goes berserk if you try to play it with Vsync off, which is a shame but I generally don't enjoy racing games that make you choose between not being able to control them at all because the feedback has gone insane or struggling to control them because the input is subtly but noticeably delayed. Still, at least that's saved me £10. I suppose Grid: AS has the same problem, so I might avoid that too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Mm, I haven't heard of that issue on GAS, actually, but yeah, it's on F1 2013. Still, if you want to race Formula Ones, there's a good mod being developed for AC and the new Formula Extreme in GSCE, which are both much better than F1 2013 (which I also own...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OK - I ran an Oval race - literally 10 practice laps, 2 warmup laps and a race - nothing like a baptism of fire is there?

Charlotte is, of course, "foot down, turn left" so you get to play entirely with the 'find he fastest line' thing. My plan was simply 'do not crash' - tho I'd practiced pitting just-in-case ;0

In the end I ran from 12th on the Grid to a 6th finish courtesy of not crashing into anything ;0

Biggest accident was on the WARMUP LAP when someone ploughed into 3 other cars! I ended-up rear-ending him - that was my only contact but I only got a +.05SR so I guess I got the blame for that?

Same eejit ran from grass-to-wall for the first half of the race -gave us something to 'aim for' I guess.

Also - this happened - I'm the lead car - I'm a bad man I guess??

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20%2802%29.mp4

We'd run close for 2 laps upto then - I just took the 'quickest line' and I think he read it as a free-tow-and-pass?
    Last edited by trjp; 18-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Network Hub
    I'm a bad man I guess??
    There are no bad men in rookie ovals. Only survivors.

Meanwhile, Empty Box posted something on the new GSCE update.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    That was impressive, especially how calmly he was talking. I certainly couldn't do that!

Network Hub
    EmptyBox talks like that through most of his videos - including those in the Indycar oval series where he's half an inch off someone's exhaust at 200mph. If I talk I crash.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    That was impressive, especially how calmly he was talking. I certainly couldn't do that!
    He's talking over a replay I think - he talks smoothly over edits and other stuff so...

Network Hub
    Fastest line at Charlotte is right down low. It's a single groove oval so you get down there nobody is passing you, get a draft off a fast guy and you're set for life. It's a tough place to pass unless people bump draft each other which you don't want at rookie level. It gets more interesting in the indy car where for instance in a recent race the low lime was faster but cooked the tyres so the best strategy generally was to go low to get into the draft then keep in the middle to cool your tyres behind the fast guys and then somehow manoeuvre through that without dying. Lots of fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    I don't know what happened...but I did it. I clicked on the 3-MONTH FREE TRIAL button. I know I'm gonna regret it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    He's talking over a replay I think - he talks smoothly over edits and other stuff so...
    No, all his talks are live unless he specifically mentions they are not.
    He's Michael Schumacher's american cousin (Schumi was noted to, for example, talk about the weather whilst he was driving an F1 car)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
    Fastest line at Charlotte is right down low.
    I assumed that - but I scraped a few tenths letting the car run-out of the 2 tighter corners to the wall (turning less = slowing less).

A higher entry to at least 1 corner seemed to carry a BIT more speed too

What I also learned was "do not step over the inner white line" - I did one length of the back straight completely sideways as a result of that (tho I managed to avoid hitting anything and only dropped about 1 sec on the lap!) P)

p.s. I forgot to mention 'the moment' for me - which was on my first warmup. I left the pitlane but got flagged for speeding, so I went back in - and then headed out again. By this time everyone else is "flying around" - driving out of the pitlane with cars descending on you at race speed is REALLY scary ;)

/me whips out crystal ball
    I can see...
    (the clouds keep swirling)
    I can see...
    (vision gets more clear)
    A guy...
    walking...
    walking a dog
    He's doing...
    something...
    something to...
    a slab of plastic...
    it's rectangular
    a voice
    in the background
    insists
    it says
    the rectangular piece of plastic it's their own
    design
    everybody...
    everybody else is a copycat
    wait
    (throws slipper at boring man)
    is that the app known as Ingress?
    (the vision gets a little more blurry)
    no wait
    (then it gets clear again)
    I can tell
    it's not...
    it's...
    he's...
    signing up
    for
    for...
    I see!
    tomorrow's races.
    Is he a runner?
    Nope...
    He's on...
    Wait is that Kunos' half-baked hastily put together big promises yet can cheat editing a text file..?
    (wipes sweat off forehead)
    thank god no
    that's
    I see a man
    his name is
    D...
    Dave...
    Dave Gilbert?
    No...
    wait
    the man!
    the other man
    the one with the dog
    he's on i... i...
    i...
    i don't know
    it's got cars in it
    little gears are spinning
    in the man's head
    he's...
    planning his next season!
    (rolls eyes and passes out)
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oval Race 2 - new track (USA Int), no time for practice so I decide I'll just follow the car ahead of me which, after the warm-up, transpires to be THE PACE CAR

Oh shit

Didn't even know exactly when I could hit the gas - someone jumped past me before the green - held 2nd for a few laps - 3rd for a few more - 4th for a few more - 5th and then someone ahead of me spinds and decides to REVERSE FROM THE GRASS RIGHT ACROSS THE TRACK - BOOM!

Repairs took ages - dropped to 8th (still 4 actual players behind me tho!) - 4 laps left - done and I get a negative SR for my efforts wheras Mr "Reverse out and take the pack out" gets a POSITIVE SR.

I suspect he did it deliberately - he managed not to need to pit, took out 3 people who'd have overtaken him and because we hit him, he keeps his SR

iRacing can fuck itself..
    Last edited by trjp; 19-08-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Network Hub
    Ah rookie street stocks. I definitely get that it seems very unjust that he gained and you lost. If you don't mind though I'll explain it a bit and hopefully it'll help you to get the most out of it, and help to put those incidents in a bigger picture.

So, first of all, rookie street stocks outside the top couple of splits are nasty. You have a mix of newbies, the criminally incompetent (the guys who never made it out of rookie) and masochists (guys who run rookie so they can complain about the wrecking on the forums). There are two ways out of that madness and into good racing. One, get your irating up to get into the top splits, do this by finishing in the top half consistently. The other is to get your SR up and run in the Legends (much cleaner, free tracks, short track racing in general) or something like the Late Model. I recommend having a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U as it has some useful tips on getting out of rookie. Just remember that rookie is quarantine to keep the idiots and wreckers out of real racing.

In terms of SR, you will find occasional abberations like that but in general it works over time (that is over several races rather than just one). The likely reason the other guy gained SR while you lost is that he may have got the 4x for a crash but completed the race, meaning more corners per incident point, where you may well have quit early. Never quit early unless your car is undrivable. At rookie and D license you get one free instant repair, use it. If necessary hit shift-R and get a tow to the pitlane if you can't drive there. Just keep running, avoid wrecks, odds are you'll still get a decent position if you stick at it and your pace is ok.

So, in short:
    - finish top half to improve IRating
    - finish races (using free repair and tow if needed) to improve your SR. Time trials also count (at 0.3 x normal rate) as does qualifying (0.5 x normal rate). One can also start from the pits if first-corner carnage is bothering you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Firstly, I actually avoided qualifying because I didn't want to end-up in the middle of the pack on a new course and with a control system I'm not really sure will deal with oval pack racing too well (actually - it's better than I expected it to be tbh)

I think the real problem is that my experience last night showed the SR system to be a lot of shit and nonsense. It's like No-Claims-Bonus on your car insurance - it's nothing to do with the standard of your driving, it's how long you've managed to avoid idiots and scumbags - pot luck, basically.

Given that I'd need around FORTY races like the 2 I've done to make 3.0 - that's not going to happen - no way can I be bothered with that.

I'm also a bit disappointed (Oval and Road) races dont have a pit requirement - it might make them a bit more interesting? Does that ever happen in the earlier parts of the career - short-life tyres or low fuel stuff??

Network Hub
    As a general rule there aren't so many nutters once you get out of rookie, so the issue of avoiding idiots and scumbags becomes moot. That said, one can get out, it's really not difficult, I managed it and I'm crap at oval racing. There are ways to avoid getting in wrecks in rookie, you just need to learn them. SR as such serves as a psychological tool in that it generally keeps people fairly honest. I would suggest doing all your racing at Charlotte while in Rookie as that's the easiest place to gain SR (easy to avoid wrecks, plenty of room to get around them), and after that go legends before hitting some D or C class stuff. If you're in a hurry, just go round, let the crazies past and keep the hell away from anyone else. Once you're in D you'll get much nicer racing and can actually race. However, the onus is on you to prove that you're worthy of escaping quarantine first.

Re pits, certainly in week 2 when I ran the Indy Oval (fixed) at C class pits were needed by many as the tyres could overheat badly, though some clever souls managed to maintain their tyres and not pit. Of course from C up you also have full-course cautions which add a nice extra layer of strategy.

Network Hub
    If you want to push SR and get out of rookie oval quickly, just run time trials. You can chain them back-to-back-to-back, as they start much more frequently than the races and I think they're only valued slightly lower in SR, which actually comes out as a wash, because you're not dealing with nutters.

I think iRating is actually much more important in Oval, because if you get a D license and have respectable iRating, then you'll get into the upper splits, where people are much more interested in getting around than playing demolition derby. You'll hear a lot of radio chatter in the higher splits, even in lower licenses, as people talk about where wrecks are and give out a "checking up" warning before taking their foot off the gas.

Rookie oval is a special level of hell.

Network Hub
    Bismarck, tbh the rate of SR gain in time trials isn't what I'd call fun. Better probably to run a sensible pace, getting out of the way and just pootling round in a race, learning a few wreck-avoidance skills while you're at it, to get out of rookie. I will again mention the video I linked to (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U) which really is important here.