Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    So I'm a bit of a sim-nut, be warned!

Euro Truck Sim
    Absolutely get this. It comes up in sales fairly often and is a lovely way to relax. You may wish to look at OMSI 2 in a similar way, through setting up the controls is a ballache.

GTR/Race07/Old Simbin
    Online is fairly dead, the sims themselves are pretty outdated, based on the same engine as RFactor 1. Cheap and cheerful and not a bad gateway drug (offline racing is fun) but not a long term choice.

iRacing
    Has a reputation for being expensive but there is nowhere else where you can race 24/7 in large fields of drivers who behave themselves. Most online racing follows the pattern of Lap 1 everyone crashes, 5 more cars limp on, the ones not in the battle for the lead quit half way through. iRacing is MUCH MUCH better. 90% of races have 90% of the cars finish, with people not wrecking deliberately, racing hard but fair. The sim is good (getting better as NTM5 is rolled out in more cars), but not as good as RFactor 2. There is no tyre fall-off, nor day/night transisions, nor rain. There are no mods, it's a closed system, the Apple to RFactor2's Android. The track selection may well be tracks you're not familiar with but actually they're brilliant, and you'll learn a tonne racing here.

Get out of rookie ASAP and you'll have a good time. It's the quarantining of idiots in rookie that makes the rest of the service clean. Re finance.. look for a 3 months for 1 month deal to sign up, then every now and then they offer a year's sub for $49 and $100 of credits for $75, while buying cars and tracks in 3s or 6s gets you discounts. The starter pack will keep you going for a reasonable time, add the skip barber and a couple of good tracks and you'll be set for a good few months.

RFactor 2
    A bit pricey (cheaper than iRacing) but the sim is the best out there. Tyres are modeled brilliantly, we have rain, tyre wear (such that you can win a race by being kinder to your tyres for instance against an otherwise faster opponent). Offline is pretty good. ISI's own content is excellent (the karts and Formula Renault are two of the most fun sim cars out there). There are mods, but finding them is tricky and quality is variable (too many RFactor1 conversions). The community is hopeless and the online is mostly dead at present due to the difficulties in getting people online matched up with the right mods. League racing will fix this.

Others
    Codemasters games are a bit arcadey, I wouldn't recommend them if you're looking for a sim but they're good fun if you're not.

Finally, http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...for-RPS-racing get in there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Another vote for GTR2/Race/GT Legends, Unleashed 2 was basically by the same guys. The various names of studios and asset sell offs kind of muddle the water with that. GT Legends is my all time favourite racing game.

The Lotus Elan.... mmmmmmm.

So i'm really waiting on Project Cars before getting into another racing game obsessively.

Network Hub
    Zephro, you might not want to go with project cars if you're looking for a sim. It's SimCade at best judging by the videos I've seen (the Lotus 49 in the wet is especially hilarious) and you won't learn anything useful about how to properly drive a race car.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Yeah, Project CARS is trying to be the middle ground between Forza/GT and proper sims. It's fun, and if you like the GTR2/GTL/Race 07 kind of thing you'll probably love it (they're hardly the best simulators themselves, but still immensely fun). The car list is pretty great, too, but I hope they manage to sort out whatever licensing issues they need to to be able to use real track names before the release. They're all accurate replicas, but with names like Eifelwald, Loire and stuff like that.

Network Hub
    Promo codes for iRacing..

Use promo PR-2FREE to get 3 months for $12.
    or use PR-Zandvoort to get 1 month and Circuit Zandvoort for $5

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My problem with Shift and Shift2 were that they were trying to offer accessible racing (esp on consoles) whilst also being semi-serious (for the wheel-owning crowd on both console and PC) - but the compromises are obvious however you set-up the controls.

The cars never feel right, there's a constant sensation of 'the car being driven for you'. The games remain playable, even fun at times, but they never feel 'right' (the drifting, in the first game at least, required you change your control setup to make it work!)

Forza already had market covered for 360 owners anyway - it's not a serious sim but it's not a "back it into every corner and drift-out" arcade game either and it's AI is probably the best ever put into a driving game. It achieves what GT keeps missing by being Sony's 'wonderchild which can do no wrong'. Of those 2, it's Forza you want on PC - not GT.

I have to re-iterate that all the 'old SimBim' games are really not worth the cost of admission now - they feel really, really dated. If I had a wheel, wanted to try some 'proper racing' and didn't want to spend much money I would

a - try the netKar demo (free - 4EU to unlock all cars and tracks)
    b - try RaceRoom (free to try - pay for cars/tracks/races)
    c - buy Dirt2 when it's cheap (because it's amazing)
    d - by Euro Truck Sim2 when it's cheap - just because...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I need to bring-up another grudge I have with modern racing games here - and that is "I spend longer in the menus than in the races".

Games like Shift2 and Grid2 have content-heavy menu systems which talk to you, offer you events, show your progress and achivements etc. - but the races themselves tend to be trivial 2/3 lap things (often on the same course over and over) to the point where you spend more time in the menus than in the car!!

It's been creeping into this state for a while (GT always had it - Grid had it - the old TOCA games had it and so on) but Shift2/Grid2 really bring things to a head, there is just far too much clutter and shit around the actual 'just race the bloody cars'.

Going back to F1 2010 reminded me how a game can just say "Go Racing" and pretty much give you that. 2013 spoiled that, of course, but in 2010 you can pretty much login/go race/get in car/do your thing - we need more of that please.

I'm tried of being scolded by surly scotsmen (or in the case of TD: Ferrari - an Englishman for reasons no-one will ever fully explain, I suspect)

Quote Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
    Zephro, you might not want to go with project cars if you're looking for a sim. It's SimCade at best judging by the videos I've seen (the Lotus 49 in the wet is especially hilarious) and you won't learn anything useful about how to properly drive a race car.
    Sounds perfect!

I want something like Gran Turismo, with a better sim part (I don't have a clutch or a nice gear stick or anything and I don't drive enough to notice the difference). So lots of cars, lots of tracks, a pretty open career mode the sim part for me is: practice, qualifying and then a long race where I slowly grind out position. I don't want pissy little 3 lap races where you have to drive like a prick just to get anywhere. Also dynamic weather, dynamic day/night (love simulated 24 hour races in 2 hours) and mechanical failure.

Nothing like the old F1 games, racing around for hours, being proud of working your way up from 8th to 4th and then having a tire blow.

Activated Node
    Project Cars drives really well. I'm not a racing driver so I can't say how realistic is actually is but the completed cars (quite a few are still at an early stage) drive like cars and stupid actions are punished with convincing outcomes. It's got nice weather effects and day/night transitions and the setup options are baffling. The UI is hellish and only seems to get worse with every iteration. Large variety of tracks and cars, although many will be DLC when the game launches.

Still, you can't get it yet so it's a bit moot.

I still indulge in a bit of Race07 online every now and then and generally have a good race. There was a bit of an influx of arseholes when a pirate version was released but they seem to have gone now.

Grand Prix Legends was and still is fantastic. It's extremely demanding just staying on the road and you'll need lots of mods to stop it looking hideous but for a 1998 game to still be around and playable today is incredible. Online play can be a bit intimidating to setup and everyone else in the race will have been playing for 15 years.
    Last edited by AMacdoanld; 16-04-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Network Hub
    It's mentioned briefly on the first page, but I'd like to chip in another vote for the awkwardly titled "Game Stock Car 13" or, as it's now known, "Game Stock Car Extreme."

The Extreme part comes about because of the release of a new free DLC which adds a 1995-era V12 Formula 1 car. This goes with the ~2012 Formula 1 car, the mid 80s style v8 Formula 1 car and the mid 70s Formula 1 car.

It also has a version of Formula 3 and, if you don't like open cockpit, open wheel, there's also Brazilian Stock Cars, classic Opala stock cars and Minis and a really excellent BlancPain endurance mod if you want to run around in the GT3 cars.

There are plenty of other mods and tracks out there and more to come from the Devs themselves, when they released the 2014 Formula 1 car. Obviously, the car collection is heavy in open wheelers, but the AI is actually tuned for the stock car option and the more classic Opala stocks are bonkers fun in a big field.

I actually like racing the AI in general in this game. Here's twelve minutes of me hanging on for my life.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Speaking of Reiza Studios, Formula Truck is a thing. I've been meaning to pick it up...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I want something like Gran Turismo, with a better sim part (I don't have a clutch or a nice gear stick or anything and I don't drive enough to notice the difference). So lots of cars, lots of tracks, a pretty open career mode the sim part for me is: practice, qualifying and then a long race where I slowly grind out position. I don't want pissy little 3 lap races where you have to drive like a prick just to get anywhere. Also dynamic weather, dynamic day/night (love simulated 24 hour races in 2 hours) and mechanical failure.
    That game exists but it's not on PC - Forza3 onwards (not Horizon) is that game and there's nothing like it on PC at all.

Shift/Shift2 is as close as you get and it's nowhere close.

On PC you have to choose either

a - arcadier game with career mode but pissy-little-races and dumb AI
    b - simmier game with no career mode/AI

and cars/tracks cost money - outside of a 'megabucks production' like GT/Forza, expect them to be limited or cost extra.

So go get a 360 ;0

Network Hub
    Another recommendation for Game Stock Car Extreme. The Formula V12's are bloody terrifying. Reiza Studios create some fantastic content and is one of the companies that can make gMotor AI competitive.
    It has a championship mode for all the vehicles so it will track leaders for a full season, there's also a custom championship creator hanging around somewhere on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    That game exists but it's not on PC - Forza3 onwards (not Horizon) is that game and there's nothing like it on PC at all.

Shift/Shift2 is as close as you get and it's nowhere close.

On PC you have to choose either

a - arcadier game with career mode but pissy-little-races and dumb AI
    b - simmier game with no career mode/AI

and cars/tracks cost money - outside of a 'megabucks production' like GT/Forza, expect them to be limited or cost extra.

So go get a 360 ;0
    Forza 2-4 are no way near that.
    a) No dynamic weather
    b) No dynamic lighting - a and b are because they completely prebake all assets.
    c) No qualifying
    d) Only marginally long races, almost all of career mode is 3-4 lap races, maybe upto 6 or 7 later on.
    e) Awful track selection!

Network Hub
    I have to re-iterate that all the 'old SimBim' games are really not worth the cost of admission now - they feel really, really dated.
    Dont agree with that. Nothing dated about them besides the older visuals. But they still look good and play amazing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Forza 2-4 are no way near that.
    a) No dynamic weather
    b) No dynamic lighting - a and b are because they completely prebake all assets.
    c) No qualifying
    d) Only marginally long races, almost all of career mode is 3-4 lap races, maybe upto 6 or 7 later on.
    e) Awful track selection!
    Forza is closest to what he's asking for (which doesn't exist) - it has the best enemy AI I've seen in a racing game, a vast range of cars which require some skill to drive, enough tracks to make it not feel repetitive and the races aren't all "get to the front and stay there" affairs.

Asking for all the 'sim trimmings' (dynamic weather, realistic handling, loads of setup options etc.) as well as a career mode and loads of licensed cars and tracks - not gonna happen - but Forza comes closest to covering 'most of the bases'.

Meanwhile - I just gave GSC a whirl - I've not tried it before and the only 'Lite' version I could find was 2012 - and - it's not bad is it? It's not the prettiest game but is has a nice mix of 'accessible' and 'challenging' racing. At first it felt tame after netKar - but I'd never want to race against real people in netKar because there's no way people could keep it on the tarmac for more than 2 laps (it really is too 'loose' but I love the challenge of beating it) - GSC is probably a more realistic place to race?

The MINIs were particularly fun - the way they 'bounce' around corners (it seems very keen on modelling bumpy tracks?) - the Camaro was SHIT tho (ice racing anyone?)

He would be me. But no I don't like Forza, for the reasons given. I don't need ~1000 cars, lots of cars could mean 100 and it's more about variety. I'd rather chuck a 60s Elan around a few dozen real world tracks, none of this made up nonsense, than play a game that includes 1000 cars (including range rovers ffs) on a boring selection of tracks.

Project Cars is looking closest to what I want in a racing game.

Network Hub
    GSC is probably a more realistic place to race?

The MINIs were particularly fun - the way they 'bounce' around corners (it seems very keen on modelling bumpy tracks?) - the Camaro was SHIT tho (ice racing anyone?)
    I never raced netKar online. GSC is pretty good when you get into an organised race, open lobbies can frequently be hit & miss. RaceDepartment is a good place to head to in order to find some races. Raced in a Formula v12 organised race last weekend, insane amounts of fun with clean racers.

Should be able to get a trial of extreme here: http://game-stockcar.com.br/downloads-2/?lang=en
    I think if you don't put a licence key in the installer it gives you the trial mode.

I agree with the Camaro's I have the most fun racing the open wheelers. Karts are pretty fun. For the trial i'd race the Formula 3 though. They are fairly easy to drive without any assists and most importantly are just fun to race.

Also my ideal track listing:
    • Brands Hatch
    • Silverstone
    • Donnington Park
    • Mondello Park
    • Watkins Glen
    • Melbourne Street Circuit
    • Wherever the current Canadian GP is
    • Zolder
    • Zandvort
    • Spa - any game without Spa is a failure (I'm looking at you Forza!)
    • Interlagos
    • Brno
    • Dijon
    • Magny Cours
    • Hockenheim
    • Imola
    • Monza
    • Fuji
    • Suzuka
    • Monaco - maybe
    • Estoril
    • Catalunya
    • Circuit of the Americas

It is largely a list of F1 tracks I half remember _

Network Hub
    All of those tracks are available on RF2 as mods or official content. Formula truck is good fun and I can second the Game Stock Car recommendations (stupidly forgot it in my original list).