Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
    So, Assetto Corsa, Rainbow Road in the Lotus 49, 1:27. Beat that.
    1.24.989 on my first proper flying lap and I didn't even remember to assign a handbrake button (which I think will help)

The trick is learning to FLY - it's a LOT more fun than I expected too ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Codemasters weekend on Steam... including Grid: Autosport once again 50% off, and even their "new" Colin McRae game already 50% off... does this not smell of "we need money, fast"? Given that F1 2014 is unlikely to sell well since 2015 is just around the corner, they might be in trouble.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Codemasters weekend on Steam... including Grid: Autosport once again 50% off, and even their "new" Colin McRae game already 50% off... does this not smell of "we need money, fast"? Given that F1 2014 is unlikely to sell well since 2015 is just around the corner, they might be in trouble.
    Perhaps because their driving games have been consistently awful since dirt 2, and also the shameless cash in 'Colin Mcrae:Phone edition' AND the 'oops we buggered up Grid 2, here's the patched version, please buy it again?' games have left a bad taste?

I think F12010 was the final straw for me. Finding out about the atrocious rubber banding and the fact that AI cars were just a cover up for random generated lap times in qualifying really wound me up at the time. The whole thing consists of laziness, and poor engine building.

I don't buy Codemasters anymore. They are as bad as Gearbox, if not worse as they pull the same tricks every year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That reminded me I needed to put some time into Grid 2 on account of having paid (not a lot and thankfully no DLC) for it - so I did and...

Hmmm - it's tiresome and repetitive - the menus are endless - the loading screens are endlesser and whilst it's very pretty, it's kicking 7-shades out of my GPU (running 100% - 81degrees!!) at an average of just 42fps

That's with the 'Geforce Experience' recommended settings - turning-things-down doesn't get me much closer to 60fps before it starts to look like shit tho - I'm not just talking a lack of detail and shine, I'm talking flat ugly textures and smoke which obscures everything because it looks like it was rendered on a Spectrum (48K!)

On the upside, there are loads of us dumb enough to own it - we should probably do something with it ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    erm - here's a thing - I was looking at Grid Autosport and noticed that, as well as a lot of DLC, it has a Season Pass

Wondering what this gained you I took a peek - and it appears that buying the Season Pass entitles you to buy 8 DLCs before anyone else can and at a discount.

Note it does not INCLUDE any of them - it just gives you earlier access and a lower price for them (approc 20% cheaper overall is most people's best guess)

Given that the game (and SP and DLCs) is half-price for the second time in as many weeks - and 2 of the DLCs aren't even out yet!!! - I cannot imagine anyone who went for the £29.99 game and £23.99 SP is really happy about the approx. £5 they will save against the £25 you save by buying those things today - let alone that some of the DLC is less impressive anyway (a pack which is just garage spaces!? REALLY!?)

Seriously - Codemasters - I've no idea who makes these decisions but fuck them off. Autosport's online stats (e.g. players on Steam) is less than half what Grid 2's was at this point in it's life - you are not winning-back players by nickel-and-diming them...
    Last edited by trjp; 05-09-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Whoa!
    I recently got the G27 and... I can't handle it. It's such a huge step-up compared to the old Momo that I am having rather serious problems adjusting 0_o.

Network Hub
    Right now code masters are on crack and giving racing games a bad name. In other news I'll just leave this here for you all to freely mock because it's clearly ridiculous (a step too far if you will). http://www.fasttracksims.com/sim-racing-shoes/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Wait, the GRID Autosport season pass does NOT include DLC? That is beyond me. It's plain outlandish, even.

Congrats on your wheel, Grizzly! /jelly

I think it's just the description that is poorly worded and creates confusion. It just states that buying the season pass is cheaper then buying every DLC individually.

Network Hub
    Yeah that's pretty epic douchebaggery. I'll wager Codies are having financial troubles and some bright spark decided to go and nickel and dime people not realising that such an approach is not sustainable long term. Btw where can I find the stats for user counts for Grid 3/Autosport?

PS Grizzly, your wheel is a couple of steps up from mine and I love mine so you'll have a blast with it, especially as it's got a proper H-pattern shifter. If you find the brake spongy (as some do) I imagine the squash ball mod popularised by the DFGT will work with your kit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Codemasters [...] does this not smell of "we need money, fast"? Given that F1 2014 is unlikely to sell well since 2015 is just around the corner, they might be in trouble.
    Well, if you continue to alienate your fanbase this is destined to be happening. The last Codemasters game I directly paid money for was F1 2012 (because I really wanted to drive some F1 cars and was too afraid of trying them in a proper sim). The Dirt's I got packed in with all kinds of hardware (Dirt 2 with the Playstation and Dirt 3 with my Radeon). Dirt 3 not only required me to log into both GfWL (unholy, unholy) and Steam in order to play and keep my 'progress', it also taunted me with cars in the menus which are available as DLC. The handling felt weird but to offset they included a shoddy youtube integration where you could upload pointless sub-20s-clips in low res of your exploits. I tested it once, uploading this lowres video took me about half an hour:

Not worth it.

I was never a big fan of the X-Games-Brofist-mentality shown in the Dirts with mandatory drift events and other (for me) uninteresting clutter. Grid was nice (the first one) but everything afterwards was a leap the wrong direction (for me). Both in terms of gameplay and business (how DLC is handled).
    Last edited by Makariel; 05-09-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I think it's just the description that is poorly worded and creates confusion. It just states that buying the season pass is cheaper then buying every DLC individually.
    A mistake repeated by their Comm. Mgr here

http://forums.codemasters.com/discus...#Comment_22487

Even so - the 20% you saved by paying upfront has become 50% off before all the DLC is even released which somewhat undermines the point of the thing (oh - there is the fact you get it sooner but seriously!?)

PS Grizzly, your wheel is a couple of steps up from mine and I love mine so you'll have a blast with it, especially as it's got a proper H-pattern shifter. If you find the brake spongy (as some do) I imagine the squash ball mod popularised by the DFGT will work with your kit too.
    Oh yeah, I am already having a total blast with it, it's mainly that I am so used to the Momo Racing which I have used since it was released that anything else now requires a huge adaptation.

I installed the PLGTL mod for GT Legends and now I am having a blast with it, though :D. This wheel works really well with those old cars.

Network Hub
    Right now code masters are on crack and giving racing games a bad name. In other news I'll just leave this here for you all to freely mock because it's clearly ridiculous (a step too far if you will). http://www.fasttracksims.com/sim-racing-shoes/
    The worst bit is the people who are apparantly overjoyed with them, and are seemingly more than happy to buy into this sort of rubbish. I actually applaud the people who make these, they saw their customers coming a long way off.

The gaming market is a very easy thing to manipulate and make money out of. Just make a product, slap the word GAMING in front of the product name, and flog it for absurd amounts of money.

Geez, people really are gullible.

In other news: PCars is out on the 21st November. I really hope I can get my paws on a demo before that.
    Eurogamer covered the game, looks pretty good, even though the gameplay video is from a PS4 with assists up the wazoo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think Codemaster's strategy is working for them - all they're doing is milking more money from an ever-smaller group of people.

At the rate they're losing customers (going by SteamCharts figures) Grid 3 will need to be £90 with £80 Season Pass to make them the same money Grid 2 did!!

re: PCars - 21-Nov is the tail-end of silly season, usually the last of the big name games release at the end of Nov (December being a bit of a deadzone for selling anything which isn't "the biggest thing ever")

Might be a good sign - games hoping for a 'quick buck' will usually target early-mid Sept to "get an early dip at the cash"

Might be a sign it's not actually finished yet!!

Have they told the people who've already paid-for-it which bits of content they're going to lose yet? :)

Agree. I imagine their Community Manager must be having a fairly nightmarish job lately, with all the poor decisions Codies are making. GRID 2 ain't that bad if you're looking for an arcadey racer I guess, but the whole DLC milking made it ten times worse.

I wonder what's the current state of PCars too - SMS didn't release much info about development and y'know, it's a tad difficult to judge whether the game is worth it or not right now. I am confident it's great, but they need to guarantee that they're gonna continue supporting it for the next coupla years, both with improvements and new content.
    Also, not sure about the DLC, but the Limited Edition which is currently available for preorder does have 4-5 extra cars, along with other preorder bonuses (3 cars) for all versions. I reckon the Steam preorder should be around the 40€ mark.

Network Hub
    Hmm, interesting numbers. So...

IRacing presently 1600 online, typically 2500-4000 at peak EU times and probably similar in the US.
    http://www.steamcharts.com/app/227300 Euro Truck Sim averaging 4500ish users the last few months peaking at 9470
    http://www.steamcharts.com/app/223670 F1 2013 averaging 600ish users and peaking at 1575
    http://www.steamcharts.com/app/255220 Grid Autosport averaging 480 last month with a peak of 1186
    http://www.steamcharts.com/app/44350 Grid 2 averaging 250ish and peaking at 700 mostly bar a freak 2167 in June
    http://www.steamcharts.com/app/244210 Assetto Corsa averaging low 600s peaking at 1850 in the main

Sadly no way to get numbers for RFactor 2 or GSCE or any of the other more hardcore sims that I know of.

Just thought that might interest a few people. Euro Truck Sim is really pulling in the numbers...

In other news, iRacing has hit 999,812,648 laps turned and looks set to hit the billion some time tonight.
    Last edited by hariseldon; 05-09-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Have they told the people who've already paid-for-it which bits of content they're going to lose yet? :)
    I don't peruse the forums much (only to see what's new in every third update or so) but I do know that the cars from the special edition and the day one DLC are already in the game, but I don't know which version of the game I'm entitled to - I'm guessing it'll be the bare minimum - or how to upgrade, which I totally would do because I love the M1 Procar. Then again the Zakspeed Capri, which I probably prefer, isn't listed as either special edition or preorder DLC but that doesn't mean it won't be removed for a future Group 5 DLC or something. I'll go have a look and see what I can find out, but I probably won't report back unless it's in a public thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm as big a fan of driving 'games' as I am of 'sims' - however Grid 2 is a tiresome grind which is bogged-down in menus and terrible talky bits and repetitive use of the same track/cars (esp at the start)

It threw so much city racing at me yesterday that I went back to PGR4 which is - by any standard - a far, far, far better 'game' (tho it's controls are 'phoned-in' - so vague are the inputs - so limited the options!)

Autosport would have to be doing something VERY different to attract my attention after Grid 2 - we'd need to move away from this 'creating a new racing league' shit - away from the talky talking ESPN nonsense and put me into proper cars from proper formulas on proper tracks - please - y'know - Motorsport! - thanks.