Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

NHL 12 is the first game in the series to let you play a female player

Local girl Lexi Peters was sick of having to play as a man in the popular hockey video game series, she told Canada’s the Globe and Mail. [...] Fed up, she took her complaint public, sending a letter to EA Sports that reads. [...] “Lexi’s letter was a wake-up call,” David Littman, the lead producer of the video game, told the Globe and Mail. “Here’s a growing audience playing our NHL game and we hadn’t done anything to capture them.”
    Full story. (via reddit)

Win-win for EA sports: they broaden their audience and have a charming story to tell about the little girl to boost PR.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 12-09-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Pretty cool move by EA.

Be interesting to see if player stats are different for female characters. Don't mean to sound like an arse but there is a difference between top male and female athletes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Well, in real life there are no women in the NHL, so it's sort of understandable that EA Sports would create a virtual NHL with no women in it. But the NHL series has featured other leagues besides the NHL for a while now, so it's good to include women.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Well, in an arcadey game that lets you make your own character, sure, why the hell not. If you're suspending disbelief enough to play a female character in a male league, there's no reason to mess with the stats at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Well, in an arcadey game that lets you make your own character, sure, why the hell not. If you're suspending disbelief enough to play a female character in a male league, there's no reason to mess with the stats at all.
    Excellent point.

I'm not fussed either way really. Just interested to see how EA approach it.

At first I went "what?"

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    But the NHL series has featured other leagues besides the NHL for a while now
    And then I went "ooh, ok."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Well, in real life there are no women in the NHL, so it's sort of understandable that EA Sports would create a virtual NHL with no women in it. But the NHL series has featured other leagues besides the NHL for a while now, so it's good to include women.
    Not currently any women in the league, at least.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Not currently any women in the league, at least.
    Damn, I came into this thread just to say that.

I can get behind this idea of "women can play sports too!", except that EA half-assed this to an extreme. There are a total of two faces, and each face has its hair color locked. Hockey is a helmet sport, so I can understand the hair stuff, but there's no reason why they couldn't have put the effort into customizing women's faces like they do for the men's faces.