Stop the families TV accessing my PC's hard drives!

I connected my Dad's wireless television to our network once-upon-a-time-ago so he can use Smart Hub and the like but I only just discovered he can access the contents of my PC's hard drives when it's on. Namely music, videos and pictures. Now, I've got nothing to hide - I'm not some fucking weirdo or anything but it's just a little disconcerting allowing my folks free access to snoop my PC whenever they please.

It's not just files on my C: drive either, but all of them including my music library. I would have thought only files specifically placed in the Public folder would be shareable among the network? Well, how do I lock access to certain folders then?

Yeah, I live with my folks. I pay rent because I can't afford my own place. I have an office job with the NHS, it's well paid but I only work from 8am to 1pm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    That's Windows for you.
    I really don't know nothing about Windows permissions, if you firewall explorer.exe I think it just stops sharing all together. I'm just resiting posting that Nelson image.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Unless you have explicitly shared files/folders in some way, no-one should be able to access ANYTHING on your PC. The public/shared folders are only for other users on THAT PC (unless you change the options).

There are 2 possible reasons you can see some of your PCs content on the TV

1 - Media Center/Media Player/something else is setup to share media to other devices
    2 - you've enabled File and Printer Sharing AND you (or someone) has created Homegroups/Workgroups/Shares explicitly.

To fix 1 - read this and work backwards/sideways to other version of Windows
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...ple-or-devices

To fix 2 - depends on the version of Windows
    XP, I'm not helping you - upgrade for fucks sake ;0
    Vista/W7, Control panel/Network and Sharing/Advanced sharing (disable File and Printer Sharing is the obvious 1-shot-kill)
    W8, you're on your own but something similar should exist I imagine :)

To see what's being shared type \\127.0.0.1\ into 'Start->Run' - that will show your PC's publically visible 'shares'

My guess is you're seeing Media Centre sharing tho - that or you have another program which is creating some sort of shared media library (WinAmp can do this - iTunes can and so on)
    Last edited by trjp; 26-04-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's not file/folder sharing, it's media sharing.
    You can turn in various forms. Or simply don't keep music/photos/videos in my photos/my music etc. (or any other folder you've marked as a library)
    Last edited by CMaster; 26-04-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Probably better to turn off sharing full stop then go from there by selecting the folders you do want to share.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    The main sharing option where you check off "share documents/music/pictures/videos" will default to sharing anything in your libraries.

So better uncheck that stuff too.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    It's not file/folder sharing, it's media sharing.
    You can turn in various forms. Or simply don't keep music/photos/videos in my photos/my music etc. (or any other folder you've marked as a library)
    This. Your PC is acting as a DLNA server.

Sorry, I forgot I posted this!

I initially thought it was just library folders (win 7) that were accessible but the TV can access my C (SSD) boot drive, E (games), F (general files, photos, documents etc) and I (music library). It can access it all! And they're not all marked as library folders, the TV can only access images, videos and music and is limited to JPG, MP3, MP4 and WMV formats only; though you can view other files it just doesn't open them if the format isn't supported.

EDIT

Yup, that was it, turning off file sharing in network settings fixed it.

I've just counted the number of network enabled devices in this house - it is thirteen. That's pretty crazy. I remember when network devices in the home totaled zero and not because we didn't have any, but because there was no such thing as a network.
    Last edited by soopytwist; 30-04-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soopytwist View Post
    I've just counted the number of network enabled devices in this house - it is thirteen. That's pretty crazy. I remember when network devices in the home totaled zero and not because we didn't have any, but because there was no such thing as a network.
    Well, we've had computer networks since the 60s but yeah it's pretty nuts now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Note: for your TV to have unbridled access to your files you must have done one or more of the following

- enabled file and printer sharing on your PC
    - enabled sharing at root directoty level (which always comes with a stern warning) for each drive
    - given the TV a usable username/password and/or activated a homegroup or workgroup

One of the ways this can happen and you don't realise it is if you 'upgrade' Windows. XP->Vista or Vista-7 or whatever - will often bring over 'inadvisable' network sharing options (which weren't seen as so inadvisable in earlier version of Windows)