Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

God Save Us from 2012!! Explosion at French nuclear site

Don't screw us, French. We have already had enough of the nuclear trouble from the Japs. Now the damn Japs are silent on their nuclear mess, hope we would forget about it while radiation is still leaking and problem is getting more serious. I have be avoiding Pacific seafood for months. Don't pollute the Atlantic Ocean, please.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14883521

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Will you also be holding your breath in case bad particles in the air get to you?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Come on, Nalano, it's radiation we are talking about, not something we can take lightly.

And since you are living an the East coast, I dont know what's happening to the US West coast, but the whole Pacific has been polluted with radiation by our beloved Japs.

I'm not sure how much you mean by it, but the way you're referring to Japan makes me pretty uncomfortable. (e.g. 'the damn Japs'; 'our beloved Japs')

On the article: I hadn't heard about this,* so thanks for the link.

*'Oh man, 214 unread items in my Google Reader "News" category... ok, Mark All As Read. Subscribing to a range of sources keeps me well-informed!'

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Well it's not that serious. It's actually an industrial accident, not a nuclear. So there is no reason to worry about radiation.

I kind of agree with MD! and and also it wasn't really their fault a massive tsunami hit their country not only damaging a nuclear reactor but killing thousands of people as well.
    I don't know heaps about what happened in Japan but I think the leak although major didn't cause serious radiation contamination of the ocean or anything. I think people are understandably cautious about radiation but it is still possible for these things to get blown out of proportion. (I may be wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    I kind of agree with MD! and and also it wasn't really their fault a massive tsunami hit their country not only damaging a nuclear reactor but killing thousands of people as well.
    I don't know heaps about what happened in Japan but I think the leak although major didn't cause serious radiation contamination of the ocean or anything. I think people are understandably cautious about radiation but it is still possible for these things to get blown out of proportion. (I may be wrong)
    Of course I am not referring to their fault for the earthquake and tsunami. However, that nuclear power plant had been classified by the United Nations as a not up to standard one, since it could not withstand Level 7 earthquake (which was proved to be a very very correct evaluation). Plus, the US government offered to help. The US President even phoned directly to urge the Japs' Prime Minister to accept US military aid to help cool down the reactors (US military had been standing by for that critical moment). Yet Japs' government gladly declined the offer, said they were more than capable of to clean up their mess. Some of them even blamed US soldiers for abandoning them when things went out of control...... few days after they turned down US offer for assistance!!

There is rumor circulating that Japs were actually extracting weapon grade nuclear raw material from that plant. They rather gambled to preserve those precious weapons.

Oh, I guess it's Mr. Obama's fault then. He'd phoned the wrong guy. He should'd phone the Japanese Emperor to issue an imperial edict to accept US's assistance in the first place.

Plus, you are all wrong that the situation has been under control (I mean in Pacific, not the accident in France). In fact, radiation pollution has been too serious that even Tokyo's tap water has been contaminated. Good luck with anyone who travel to East Japan "just for fun". Don't think it's okay just because mainstream media is silent on the issue. We have detected extraordinary high level of radiation over here in coastal China. So, you mates trust the Japs?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    There is rumor circulating that Japs were actually extracting weapon grade nuclear raw material from that plant. They rather gambled to preserve those precious weapons.
    Citation.
    F##king.
    Needed.

(Also, do you have to keep saying 'the Japs'? It's, frankly, about as creepy as MD says.)

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of all the details of the situation. It does seem rather ridiculous the way they refused assistance even though they were obviously stuggling to get it under control.
    So these radiation levels though, are they still within accepted safety standards or are they causing illness?

Oh god, oh god, oh god. Supreme cringe at every use of the word "Japs". Please stop using it "Japan's" or "the Japanese" takes no more time to type.

Oh and Squirrel - meet hindsight. Maybe the Japanese made some poor decisions but I'm positive they took all the steps that they thought were correct at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanybabeS View Post
    Oh and Squirrel - meet hindsight. Maybe the Japanese made some poor decisions but I'm positive they took all the steps that they thought were correct at the time.
    Of course my comment is a hindsight, I am not even a nuclear scientist. However, the American government's decision is not, and from her reaction you would realize how crazy and foolish those Japanese (okay, forgive me for using ethnic slur, I would start trying to refer to them as Japanese from now on) are. During that critical hours the US military made two decisions in two stages. First when the reactors became unstable, its supreme commander immediately urged the Japanese government to accept cooling agents issued by the US forces in Japan. Once the Japanese declined this offer, the US military made another quick decision - to pull out. It's quite funny few days later the Japanese government called for US government to aid cool down the reactors and this time US said no, obviously since the situation had been out of everyone's hands.

And I am negative they would do right things to correct their mistakes. Come to think of it, SeanybabeS, if you have a 100 million population over a radiation contaminated zone. Food supplies, water supplies, everything is contaminated. Even raining may contain radiation. You are the Prime Minister, what would you do? What the Japanese government is doing right now is obviously pretending as if everything is under control. You cannot smell radiation, you can't see it, you can't taste it. So they must figure out if they keep their mouth shut, stupid commoners (not just commoners of Japan, but all its neighboring countries) would not sense anything wrong. China is adjacent to Japan, so we took the first hit. But remember, all Pacific coastal countries will not be safe, thanks to Japan.
    Last edited by squirrel; 13-09-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Just found this article which seems to give a pretty good summary of the current situation
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ster-aftermath

The comments are really interesting as well. It seems that although there has been radiation leaked it probably won't have incredibly serious consequences but that the main problem in the Japanese government intentionally keeping their citizens in the dark so they end up living in fear of things they don't really understand.

Activated Node
    Just on a side note, the french were pumping the pacific full of radioactive contaminants twenty years ago. The seafood isn't any less "safe" now as it was back then.

Fair enough Squirrel, you clearly understand this situation better than I do. I just fail to recognise that a country would purposely work to the detriment of it's people.

I sympathize Japanese. Seriously, I really do. They have been struggling for generations for their own well-beings, surviving one disaster after another. Earthquake, tsunami, civil wars, foreign invasion, not that one thing common Japanese should deserve, yet they live up to these days through a history of suffering, and now they end up like this. The worst scenario would be Tokyo becoming uninhabitable. You know what? Japaneses have an old saying, that women from Meiji were exceptionally strong. They united together to build a modern nation. Even Japanese women, who were traditionally considered weak, had to overcome their weaknesses. Yet they don't have the strength to resist natural forces. We Chinese have another old saying, "How much you can eat, and how warm you clothing is, has been pre-determined by the god. Don't ask for more as you cannot afford those." Frankly, even if the Japanese secretly developed nuclear weapon (I cannot be sure if they do it or not, CIA knows the answer), they have good reason to. All they want is true national independence. No matter how great their economic power is, Japan is still an American puppet state. Financial disaster in late 1980s has proved that what the Americans granted them, Americans could take back too. The "Loss Decade" (and up to this day it has been two decades and more) has destroyed Japanese morale. I must say, that they dont deserve this. Looking at nowadays' Japan, I would wonder, what would our future be?

One last warning. Avoid travelling to Japan if you have no business there. At least dont go to Eastern Japan, dont go to anywhere east to Osaka.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    It seems that although there has been radiation leaked it probably won't have incredibly serious consequences but that the main problem in the Japanese government intentionally keeping their citizens in the dark so they end up living in fear of things they don't really understand.
    It's a general problem with the media, particularly when radiation is involved. The irony is that thus far anyone living next to Fukushima who stayed there for the duration will still have received less radiation than someone living in Aberdeen over the same period, but there's no calls to evacuate Aberdeen. Well, not due to radiation risk anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    They have been struggling for generations for their own well-beings, surviving one disaster after another. [..] foreign invasion [...]
    Well, they did decide to deliberately attack the US and join with the Axis powers. That doesn't necessarily justify the subsequent nuking, destruction and occupation of Japan at the end of the war, but it's a bit ridiculous to lump "foreign invasion" (or civil war for that matter) with things like earthquakes and tsunamis. Back on topic: I think the reason why these disasters are so terrible for Japan has a lot to do with the population density of some of those places.

People treated the Fukushima plant like another Chernobyl. Both were given an INES level of 7 (considered a major accident) but the two don't quite compare (in my opinion) in terms of the dangers. Again I believe the major issue is population density; even a lower level failure in a place with such a high population density as Japan would be a major problem, but that doesn't mean that the ejection of radioactive material (and wider health effects) would be as bad as Chernobyl. You have to take the accident within the context. But the anti-nuclear groups will skew the hysteria in their favour just as much as the pro-nuclear group will.

One last warning. Avoid travelling to Japan if you have no business there. At least dont go to Eastern Japan, dont go to anywhere east to Osaka.
    Oh, why's that?
    Last edited by soldant; 13-09-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Fixin' a quote! For real this time.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    As I know, the Japanese government was warned by some geologists that there would be an strong earthquake, but they ignored it for some reason.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    There's a word missing from this discussion that really ought to be used: Alarmist.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Okay. WTF is that?

What precious weapons? Japan is one of the biggest anti-nuke countries in the world. They do not have any "precious weapons". You better throw some source of that rumor mate!

Anyhow

So much panic from you mate. The water contamination of water is negligible. we get more rads from concrete from which our cities are build, from eating bananas, short flight, not to mention going to a dentist and having an xray.

another unnecessary comment of yours is " Good luck with anyone who travel to East Japan "just for fun" " There is no proof whatsoever that you are in any danger. Heck. if you are living in busy city such as NYC, LA, Paris, Moscow, Bejing, HK, Seul... etc. going to east japan and hanging around in some crappy town of 5000 peeps would be certainly healthier than your normal life

It is also a bit ironical that it comes from a Chinese. China is way more polluted that even the worst parts of Japan atm so worry about your country first, then attack another.

Too much panic from you my friend.