Obscure Node

Oberon's Court a RTS/Adventure set in the Underworld, coming to Steam

Oberon's Court is a journey of the soul as it transitions through the afterlife, reclaiming its identity by conquering the harsh world of shadows. Will you chain and bind other souls and make those weaker suffer, or shepherd them to their own salvation. Oberon's Court mixes RPG elements with a RTS control scheme and combat to create a streamlined strategical adventure experience. Combat is quick and fierce, no mulling over stats, two souls go in, one comes out a master, the other a slave, or worst.

Oberon's Court is being developed by Tomas Sala under the label: Boof games.

"The battle was short, a flutter of bravado, the soft embrace of muddy ground . The sound of wooden wheels sloshing through it , as you silently thank the looters for taking your body away, a reprieve before the final indignity. Night is coming, all is lost. Time for carrion to dream, the dream eternal, surrender or rise a shadow"

A little History off development:

The game is was originally intended as a tile based RTS for mobile devices, but with Valve accepting the game for a release on Steam, the launch and development platform became PC. The game has been in development for little over a year by myself, doing both Art, animation and coding. The gameplay has evolved more and more towards an merger of RTS and adventure/rpg. One of the goals I had with developing a game was to create a game designed around a non-textured aesthetic. Basically there is next to no use of textures in the games, besides the font everything else is purely geometry and shaders. I wanted to do this not from a performance standpoint, but as a challenge to create a visually striking and different style of 3D game. You can check out a making off/how to on Gamasutra

Gameplay wise base building has been removed from the game and replaced by a "unit stealing"mechanic, called "chaining". This means you get to chain any enemy unit on the field to your own army once its been defeated. Hopefully creating a different type of game experience. Currently development of the core-mechanics are done including the majority of the visuals. It will still be months before the campaign mode and storytelling elements are finished though, and the game will be ready for release. Early access and such being still under consideration.

Features:

Fully 3D RTS/adventure for mobile devices
    Created using 3d art without any textures, anywhere in the game
    Fully Voiced Characters
    First release will feature the "Shadow Chains" campaign, worth several hours of game-play
    Visit many unique settings in the first release, as part of the first campaign
    Enter any structure, keep or dungeon on the main maps to visit the dungeons of the elder shadows.Upgrade your units and squads over time, persistent units throughout the
    campaign
    Upgrade your units with special abilities, such as Beserk, Lightning spells, Sacrifice and more
    Capture lost souls on the battle field to supplement your army
    Discover Oberon's true intentions, and the nature of the underworld
    Non-linear campaign,and high level campaign strategy
    gather blood, essence and bone to improve your creatures.
    First release will focus on single player.

Recent gameplay video:

Links:
    facebook: http://www.facebook.com/oberonscourt
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/littlechicken01
    indieDB entry: http://www.indiedb.com/games/oberons-court

Obscure Node

Concept and character art

concept art

environment concept

Obscure Node

In game screenshots

Strategy/world map. (wallpaper link)

Necropolis map

Loitering units

combat

Obscure Node

Assorted images:

Obscure Node
    Okey, so that's a bit off stuff on Oberon's Court here on Rock paper shotgun. The game was started for mobile but has transitioned into a steam PC game. So i'm really quite curious to read your impressions as PC gamers.

Now being a PC guy myself, I feel the need to explain before hand that the initial choice for Mobile was one based on the possibilities available to me at that time. And at no point has my intention been to ever make a "casual" type game. Oberon's Court is my flight of fancy, and I have always been a PC gamer;).

I'm an applied game developer during the daytime (meaning I work at a studio that creates games for brands, education etc etc), and in the last few years I've been modding and doing projects on the side. One of which some of you might have played, the Moonpath to Elsweyr mod for SKyrim, which skyrocketed beyond my expectations. From this the Idea was born for Oberon's Court, in a sense this game is the spiritual successor to that mod (not in content or story), but in a sense that its just me doing whatever crazy designs and story pop up into my head.

I hope to have the game in released on steam somewhere this summer, it's already been allowed by Valve. and hope to have more details on Early Access and more soon.

Curtious to hear if what you see appeals and please comment and critique if its something that attracts or repels you as a PC gamer
    Cheerio
    tomas
    Last edited by muppetpuppet; 04-05-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Obscure Node
    Oooh the trailer offcourse

Obscure Node

Network Hub
    That's quite the concept you have there, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's got quite a look to it. Pretty striking and creepy, to say the assets are quite minimal - which I guess is all what you were going for.

Obscure Node
    Yes indeed, there is a minimalist edge to it. I've tried expanding on it, with for instance grass or other visual effects. To make it match more with what your GPU can do.. As well as depth of field and other additions, but I keep returning to this clean minimalist feel. So I'm running with it, which is harder than I Imagined, I must admit. there's always the tendency to add just a tad more detail. (you can see the necropolis screens show just a bit more detail on the buildings).

But I have to be careful at every turn not to turn it into a regular detailed 3D enviroment just without textures.

here's an example of an experiment with grass

here you can see, I've had people like the grass, and others loathe it, and Personally I think I might use it just for a few setpiece levels, but on the whole it turns it into a 3D game wannabee.

Anyhow thanks for the interest, I'm hoping to learn if the minimalist stylings appeal or that there's a danger PC audiences might shun it. (beyond trying out the gameplay, which is different in its own way, after i finish the worldmap and tutorial I'm gonna make a new gameplay of the tutorial levels, explaining all the mechanics.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I actually quite like both. Perhaps you could add a grass option to the menu? :P
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Obscure Node
    that's a interesting Idea, I already have a settings menu, why not add some more options ;)