Banned

Brazen Aviation: Air Control

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...n-air-control/
    What an article truly a top piece

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Is this actually about Air Control or is this thread in the wrong sub-forum?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Is this actually about Air Control or is this thread in the wrong sub-forum?
    It's bitching about the article, which is fair, but the wrong sub-forum.

Worth discussing though, I have no idea why Adam Smith thought it'd be worth covering.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Well, I saw the trailer on Steam and thought it looked potentially promising at a glance (I haven't been at the peak of my mental acuity lately o_O) so I appreciated this thread/link. I suppose the weird default-Unity-GUI-looking buttons scattered all over the screen should have tipped me off.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Adam did say pointing out != endorsing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Adam did say pointing out != endorsing.
    Just saying that doesn't make this news post any less ridiculous. If it'd been something like "Wow this game is terrible, what has Steam come to?" it'd be a different story, but Adam's post reads like the game's supposed to be a big joke and that other people just aren't getting it.

Except it isn't supposed to be a joke, it's just a bad game that some people actually paid money for.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Just saying that doesn't make this news post any less ridiculous. If it'd been something like "Wow this game is terrible, what has Steam come to?" it'd be a different story, but Adam's post reads like the game's supposed to be a big joke and that other people just aren't getting it.

Except it isn't supposed to be a joke, it's just a bad game that some people actually paid money for.
    The impression I got from the article wasn't that it was a joke other people weren't getting. The part that relates to that is these bits:

"I haven’t played it myself but early versions haven’t been kindly received on Desura and the game sounds like a poorly crafted simulator with some wacky reskins rather than a carefully crafted comedy."

"It’s possible that Air Control has some clever tricks tucked between the miniature bottles of gin in its catering trolley but the Desura reviews don’t even recognise that it’s supposed to be funny. Either they’ve spectacularly missed the point or Air Control is attempting to make a virtue of its flaws by amping up the zaniness. It’s not a terrible business plan, I guess."

Which is kind of different from what you're insinuating. Written brilliantly or no, the writer is very definitely saying it looks like a piece of crap that thinks it's funny. Which is what you're saying. So ... I'm confused what the ruffled feathers charade is about.

At worst, Adam makes the relatively reasonable statement that making a crap game that does lip-service to absurdity isn't a terrible business model as it's worked rather well for other folks. Not what I'd call an endorsement. He hasn't played it, remember. But I guess he didn't insult the game's mother and he had the audacity to post something that wasn't "important."
    Last edited by gwathdring; 08-05-2014 at 02:00 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

It shouldn't even rate a mention except to note how terrible it is - and perhaps also to note how Steam's quality control is a pathetic joke at this point. It's not even worth pointing out as a joke, it's just a flat-out terrible attempt at making a game with a price tag, a shitty grab for cash. The reason why people (myself included) don't like the article is because it shouldn't get coverage - it should be buried and ignored. The only reason it's newsworthy is to highlight how terrible it is. It's not a joke.WAD, it's not satire, it's not comedy - it's stock Unity controls with stock/stolen assets.

It reminds me a little bit of another Unity game that was posted on RPS a while back, something like "The Experiment" that tried to dress itself up as a 'non-game'. It used the stock Unity controller and had stolen art assets ripped from stock photo sites and other games/mods. It had a distinct lack of effort or even a coherent style. I don't know if these kinds of games get posted simply because there's nothing else to post about for the day, but it makes RPS look like a joke.

I don't understand this ... I don't know what to call it. Militant apathy? This being adamant that something isn't worth talking about.

It's crap, it somehow came across Adam's radar and within his context was worthy of a mention, but clearly not a celebratory mention at that.

No gamers were harmed in the making of this post. In my opinion, "Shouldn't get coverage" ought to be reserved for things the knowledge of which is harmful or dangerous. This is not such a thing. It is not being celebrated and it is being more maligned than advertised.

I have trouble seeing this as the kind of article for which "you don't have to read it" is an inappropriate response to the supposed mistake that was made. As such: you don't have to read it.

Taking out your frustration with the game on RPS is misguided and I feel that's what you're doing here. First you say Adam is making it out to be a misunderstood joke (itself a misunderstanding of the syntax used in the article), now you just rail against the game without recanting. Fine. Rail against it. It seems properly abysmal--knock yourself out. But making this about RPS somehow screwing up or selling out or failing at quality control is really, really weird.

RPS posts personal-blog type stuff all the time. I guess if you don't like that, fire away, but singling out a personal-blog type post about a crap game which the posts remarks on blandly but decidedly *as probably crap* (the qualifiers only existing because the writer hadn't played the game) ... I don't get it.

Who are we protecting here? And from what? We're not protecting people from Air Control, I'm pretty darn sure.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 08-05-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Who are we protecting here? And from what? We're not protecting people from Air Control, I'm pretty darn sure.
    Well no, we're not, because it should have been listed as a blatant rip-off as opposed to borderline-legitimate product. The other posts dig deeper into the game's development, and how terrible it is and how they're ripping assets from all over the place. That's the sort of information that's worth putting into an article about the game, not the mess that appears in the article.

It shouldn't get coverage unless it's to warn people of crap like this getting posted on Steam. You've heard the saying "Don't feed the trolls"? Well, don't feed the shit devs.

I think everyones overreacting a bit, especially tradaa. But then again I cant stand him anyway, no matter what he does. not every day is full of puppies and games.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."