Thread: Sad Day Indeed

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    For those who don't click links to the sutra anymore.

Vic Davis, creator of Armageddon Empires, Solium Infernum and Occult Chronicles, has announced his retirement from making digital games, moving instead to designing board games.

Cryptic Comet, which is pretty much just Vic Davis and the people he hires to do art and audio, has made a series of novel and deep turn based strategy games. Solium Infernum is particularly noteworthy, placing players as princes of hell competing for the infernal throne. Its systems create a mess of bureaucracy where you're constantly trying to one-up your peers as well as sow rumours and create suspicion.

In an announcement on his blog, Davis stated that "selling games directly from this website has been an increasingly difficult task. My programming skills are so tied to an aging and abandoned development platform that making even a niche title like my previous games is a dubious proposition at best." The 'aging development platform' he refers to is Adobe Director, which was more intended to be used for movie editing than game making, which is more suited to its stablemate Flash.

Davis continues: "So I'm leaving the digital space and moving over to the card board arena where I hope my design skills can shine. It's a natural transition since my games have all been very board-game like. I hope that has been part of their charm. I will naturally continue to support all my customers with tech support and downloads of lost purchases. And I will continue to sell my digital games and suport them for as long as they keep running. God Bless compatibility mode."
    He'd pretty much abandoned every game he made buggy, I think its for the best he sticks to board gaming, more game design less programming.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 05-01-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    For those who don't click links to the sutra anymore.

He'd pretty much abandoned every game he made buggy, I think its for the best he sticks to board gaming, more game design less programming.
    Just like everyone else in the business then, eh? I can imagine that it's difficult enough to get games out of the door at a reasonable pace as a one-man dev team. That's not an excuse to do a messy job but compared to what other - bigger - companies produce he's done an amazing job. Now if there was an easy way to make the code available to a modding community.

Honestly, I think this is both great and sad news. Great, because he'll be able to bring out more great ideas for games and sad because I really wished to see more games like SI and The Occult Chronicles.
    Forum janitor in training.

Disappointing! I would support and purchase his boardgames except for the fact that all my strategy game friends are from the internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Please can we have a board game version of Solium Infernum!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Please can we have a board game version of Solium Infernum!
    Honestly, it wouldn't parse. it's not that stuff like this hasn't been done, but it depended on impossible bean counting which would be dull, stripping that out would leave the game really basic.

A facebook/tablet game would be easy to make though.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/