Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Hub

Bound by Flame actually looks like a pretty interesting game.

Well the trailer ain't too shabby, this looks like a game with decent amount of production and it's getting released 9th May. Only now just saw it thx to RPS

Don't know how well the game-play will translate, but it might be worth getting and just going into it blindly and not know wtf to expect. A game that's in the media too much like Dark Souls 2, it kinda gets spoiled a bit.

Sometimes it's a good thing to have a game just pop out of nowhere, no 1-2 years required to wait or early access etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'm going to keep an eye on it, because it looks alright, but their past efforts also at times looked alright but turned out to be a bit bad.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I want this to be good, but I am skeptical. The devs don't have a particularly good pedigree and the last combat video I watched looked REALLY floaty. When even Amalur seemed to have more "impact", something is wrong.

For what it is worth, /r/ps4 is full of people who are playing it and I think there are a few twitch streams going. They seem to like it, but confirmation bias and the like since they already pooped out money for it.
    I'll probably be waiting for RPS or TotalBiscuit (at the very least Eurogamer) to give an assessment though.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It definitely got released with little fanfare. In the same boat. Interested but will wait and see also.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've bought it on GMG. Since they insist I'm now a citizen of the US, I get to pay in Dollars*. So in comparison to local standard prices, the game was basically at -75% for me.

Either way, I'll try it out on Friday and will report back with what I think about it.

* On a sidenote: What's with companies fudging up countries lately? Bethesda thinking Switzerland is part of germany, GMG thinking Switzerland belongs to the US? Is the world telling us there's gonna be an invasion soon?

There's a few guys on another forum who have all so far said its a pretty decent game with good dialogue an interesting story and good audio. They've all said that the combat is by far the weakest part of it, but that they're enjoying it all the same.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Is this the game frrom guys who made that Game of Thrones game (Third person) and Of Orcs (that ork game with stealth segments) ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    * On a sidenote: What's with companies fudging up countries lately? Bethesda thinking Switzerland is part of germany, GMG thinking Switzerland belongs to the US? Is the world telling us there's gonna be an invasion soon?
    EA thinks Spanish speaking countries, like Argentina, use Euros.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    EA thinks Spanish speaking countries, like Argentina, use Euros.
    Indeed. I can't buy anything on Origin because of that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Is this the game frrom guys who made that Game of Thrones game (Third person) and Of Orcs (that ork game with stealth segments) ?
    Same publisher, Focus Home Interactive, for this and those titles.

The devs of Bound By Flame, Spiders, co developed or ported Of Orcs and Men. Cyanide I think lead development and they did the Game of Thrones games. Mars: War Logs was Spiders last title.

The combat trailer did not impress me, so I will wait for some feedback on other areas of the game if it might be worth it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So I spent about 2 hours with it. In those two hours I reloaded a certain area about 20 times (reason: death) and had to redo the tutorial 3 times (reason: death). On normal (2 out of 4 difficulty levels). But no matter the difficulty you pick, this is definitely a game for masochists as the difficulty spikes randomly. Sometimes enemies don't seem to be doing damage at all and at other times my hero falls over after someone as much as sneezes in my direction.
    The Sidekick is also entirely useless and I haven't had a single fight where she didn't just bite it. Thank god for NPC Plot Immunity. Combat feels like Witcher in a way, hit your attack buttons at the right time and dodge when you see an enemy wind up their attack. Only that the enemies take an awful lot of hits.
    The difficulty spikes mostly come from ranged attackers, their projectiles are nearly invisible and if you aren't seeing their windup animation, their arrows/spikes/whatever take a good quarter of your health. Also spells are a bit of a joke so far, I can cast one maybe two spells and my mana is gone. It regenerates but does so at an incredibly slow pace, enough for me to hurl a single fireball every two battles. And battles take a long time. Mana potions fix that, but ressources are pretty rare so far - most of the time I don't have enough for any Healing Potions or Mana Potions at all. This may all fix itself later in the game of course. So yeah, combat is bad. Floaty like Witcher 1 or perhaps Amalur but with enemies that hit a lot, lot, lot harder.

The Story so far is interesting enough, if you can deal with someone generic endtime fantasy stuff. The monster design is interesting to me but wouldn't win any prices, although so far it was mostly zombies. Which the game insists on calling Hobblers for some reason. The characters are walking clichés, including the main hero. When I slayed the Tutorial Boss, my character got mad because no one was praising her ability. I wanted to praise that the female mainhero isn't the standard covergirl. She actually looks like a mercenary and walks like an actual soldier. But then I saw the sidekick and her skintight pants that wouldn't reveal any more if they weren't there to begin with. Well and her penchant to lie around helplessly, strutting said ass into the camera whenever it's time for a gratuitious ass shot.

But and this is perhaps the weird thing after all that criticism, if I take the budget into account and consider the possibilities of the Developer, this is actually a pretty decent game. Not a buy-at-full-price game, definitely not. But as something to grab in a bargain bin for 5-10$. The relationship between the Demon and the maincharacter is interesting enough, if clichéd and the game has a curious amount of attention to detail. For example the tutorial told me to go look for a certain NPC, I got sidetracked by looty chests and lo and behold, the quest failed. NPC ended up dead in the meantime. Oops. Swords and daggers have actual sheaths they're put into outside of combat so weapons don't just float about. You can also bash enemy shields into pieces, bit by bit until the enemy can't hide behind it anymore.
    I like the playstyle of setting traps and luring enemies into them, in general battles are much more easy if you come prepared. It's almost mandatory to use that crafting menu good and use it often. You won't need potions if you can take out enemies before it even comes to that. I like things like these, they make me almost forget the mediocre combat. The music varies wildly from pretty interesting to standard fantasy fare and this is perhaps what the game is at its heart: Standard Fantasy fare. It's not imaginative, it's not mechanically refined but it works, it plays decent and I may find myself finishing it. After I've restarted on easy (for reference, I'm one of those that will argue the Souls Series is not about skill but instead about knowledge).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Please ignore the typos in above post, I can't edit it anymore. Thank you blank edit box bug.

I was fairly interested in this game till I saw the combat which reminded me of Dragon Age 2 mixed with Amalur(ughhh) and then this screenshot sealed the deal -that is some writing.

Quote Originally Posted by tem View Post
    I was fairly interested in this game till I saw the combat which reminded me of Dragon Age 2 mixed with Amalur(ughhh) and then this screenshot sealed the deal -that is some writing.

I dunno, depending on how he delivers that line it could be pretty good. People actually talk like that you know?

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I still hope this turns out to be good. I do. At this point though it honestly looks like more generic fantasy. And you really, really have to do something special to get me interested in a generic fantasy world. Something really special.

Not to mention...the combat looks awful. The magic system utterly generic. Going by look here so granted I could be wrong. I want to be wrong. But combat seems to comprise the majority of the game so, if that is awful why bother? Got enough of that from Skyrim to last a life time.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tem View Post
    (a) That screenshot is hilarious. Come on, we've all thought it.

(b) Amalur melee combat was brilliant but it took about forty hours before you'd unlocked your moves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I dunno, depending on how he delivers that line it could be pretty good. People actually talk like that you know?
    I wouldn't say it was terrible (better than Killzone 2, ugh) but it seems more like just clumsily dumping generic action movie bullshit into a fantasy setting than an actual attempt to have characters react like real people. Guy Gavriel Kay's Sarantine Mosaic books are a good example of how to do it right - his (not-)Roman soldiers in that fight and brawl and crack wise and swear a blue streak but they still don't speak as if they just walked off the set of Predator 2.

That's not just nitpicking - I liked Mars: War Logs, sort of, I thought it showed quite a bit of promise and I'd like to see Spiders make a great game, but even one screenshot, to me, still has all manner of warning signs that seem to indicate they're stuck playing at the bottom of the bargain bin.

Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    I wanted to praise that the female mainhero isn't the standard covergirl. She actually looks like a mercenary and walks like an actual soldier. But then I saw the sidekick and her skintight pants that wouldn't reveal any more if they weren't there to begin with. Well and her penchant to lie around helplessly, strutting said ass into the camera whenever it's time for a gratuitious ass shot.

I still roll my eyes when I think of the female sidekick from Mars: War Logs who you rescue from the bad guys, whose outfit is torn to shreds in an explosion, and when you suggest she ought to put on something more practical she tells you oh, no, this is part of who I am now, I want to keep it this way. For God's sake, Spiders, female empowerment does not work that way - and lady, put on some fucking clothes.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 09-05-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    (b) Amalur melee combat was brilliant but it took about forty hours before you'd unlocked your moves.
    finally someone said it, yes. The melee combat in Amalur was the sole reason I finished the game, very entertaining (dagger-build at least). Not that other pieces were bad though, liked that game, but would left it around 20hours in if not for the great combat.

as for bound by flame, well, the early reviews or impressions of those who played it aren't encouraging... I will pass for now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    RPGs coming from Focus usually leave me with a sense of 'oh dear' tbh

As for Amalur - a melee build rescued the game for me - it's THE most obvious example of the mantra

"If it's not fun hitting things in the face with swords/sticks/daggers - it's not fun"