Obscure Node

Looking for a F2P MMO strategy/wargame

And when I say F2P, I don't mean "forget getting anywhere unless you make a dozen microtransactions per week" kind of F2P. I mean LoL-class "kick ass whether you pay or not" kind of F2P.

I recently tried Stronghold Kingdoms and got seriously turned off by the transaction structure, but in terms of game mechanics I'm looking for something along that vein. Any suggestions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Have you tried Age of Empires Online? It's got a F2P business model (described as a macro-transaction model), so there are certainly some funstacles, but the core mechanic is fun and well-built.

That said, I have only played it for one (long) evening. It starts out very slowly and it could be argued that applying this business model to a 'traditional' RTS (and keeping things balanced) is folly. Give it a shot, though. There's not much to lose.

edit:
    You could even argue that any free-to-play traditional multiplayer RTS or traditional multiplayer turn-based strategy is a fundamentally flawed proposition.

Obscure Node
    Haven't tried it yet. I might give it a shot at some point, but the reviews I've read so far were not that compelling.

@edit: Yeah I'm aware some might argue that. Then again I'd like to think there is a way and it just hasn't been figured out yet. Personally I think the solution might be keeping most of the competitive mechanics out of the monetization schemes, and only charging for nice-to-haves: i.e. cosmetic customization options, social features, etc.

Obscure Node
    Zero-K. (www.zero-k.info). It's a game remiescent of Supreme Commander. It's totally F2P and open source, made for free by volunteer programmers. Graphics are 3-d but not terribly good, but it's a game you play for strategic battles, not eycandy. Be warned, it's very, very hard. Like the original* Supreme Commander.

*SupCom 2 dumbed it down way too much. Zero-K is still hardcore.