Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should RPS make a bit more effort at weekends?

I know it seems to be a trend of gaming websites to wind down at weekends, but where's the harm in having each writer do an extra article during the week, to post at the weekend? Creative writing is your business, shouldn't be too difficult to knock an extra one out during the week. More hardware stuff from Laird would be welcome.

Just me? Thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I barely read 'RPS proper' anymore. When I do get around to it I find plenty to read. 'No' is my vote then.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    They should also stop sleeping.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Hell no! Let them and me sleep.
    Weekends are for resting, Horace might be infinite, but he can't perpetually toil away.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    More content on Sundays would be welcome. I don't think it's easy to just knock out an extra piece, but I feel like there is too much content on weekdays and not enough on weekends. I much preferred having Cardboard Children on sundays. I imagine that they get more traffic on weekday articles due to people reading at work, but due to time differences, I'm currently sitting at work on a Monday morning and there is nothing on RPS to read, because they post(ed) very little on sunday.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They seem to have tried several different formats for weekends and abandoned them all quickly (except Sunday Papers), so maybe they just aren't popular. But I sure wish there was something to read right now... zzz

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The Internet is closed on weekends.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What does everyone do on weekends then? Just sit infront of a blank screen?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gah! Still no new posts to read! It's been, like, hours!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    No! They're doing a job so 9-5 on weekdays is all that should be asked.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    If something super important happens, they'll make an article (I think they did a few times in the past). But if the game industry('s PR people) are taking the weekend off, no reason why RPS shouldn't.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Activated Node
    I don't want to work during weekend neither should others unless they decide to do it voluntarily.
    I actually found it refreshing when I first noticed there are barely any new posts on RPS over the weekend. Makes me turn on internet / pc less.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    I mainly read RPS at work, to avoid work. This weekend idea would not suit me. Already too much to catch up with on a Monday.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryLippedSquid View Post
    Creative writing is your business, shouldn't be too difficult to knock an extra one out during the week.
    Possibly one of the worst things you can ever say to someone whose job it is is to be creative.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I liek RPS, good wordings on cite.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I agree that the "shouldn't be too much work" comment isn't going to go down well. And that they should work a 9-5 job if they want. But the thing is, you can schedule posts to appear anytime, and write them anytime. And they have multiple writers. SO having more content on sundays wouldn't actually mean any more work. - I'm assuming that the sunday posts don't get many readers, as so many people read at work. But think of us who are at work on other days or other time zones!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actually, On sunday I'd like: some guest posts by other people (long form ok). And they should schedule them to all post in the morning, rather than the regular plan of posting once per hour. Because people's reading habits are likely to be different on a Sunday to a day at work. Sunday papers is always popular because, well, it's like reading the sunday papers on a sunday morning... kicking back on the sofa and reading on a tablet. So go with that...

Obscure Node
    I always assumed news sites automated their weekend content. There's no reason why interviews and editorials couldn't be written during the week and posted over the weekend.

I actually do most of my gaming news consumption over the weekend. Advertising wise I'd assume it would also be a more advantegeous it advertise a game over the weekend. As most users would also have time to play or be interested in game advertising..

but that's just my 50cents.. the slowdown over the weekend has always amazed me, If you're dealing with leasure or entertainment products the weekend should be a peak time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think it'd be a good idea for things like this http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...l-chernobyl/or the long one on game inventories to get posted on sundays. They wouldn't get as lost among all the other news, and seem more suited for slow paced reading. I don't know if they'd get more or less views. And I don't know if RPS pays based on views or not. But it'd work better for me.

Banned
    They should try to do a little less on the weekdays instead.

RPS is starting to look like Steam right now. Just piles and piles of articles droping around like some airborne parachute invasion assault, all trying to very hard to be extra witty and verbose.