Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node karaquazian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reaper View Post
    At the moment the only things to do in the game is trade, dock, fight, outfit & upgrade your ship & practise scooping up cargo that people leave scattered about for various reasons.
    thats basicly the elite formula, its a sandbox game, I can't see there ever being quest chains and what have you, that would be more star citizen. Although i'm more interested in elite, i prefer a less directed experience myself.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Yes, true, however bare in mind that very little of the actual game is in the current beta.

Network Hub
    I would say the beta is still more an alpha in that it's not feature complete. That said, what is present is damn good fun.

Looks like we're getting a big update on Tuesday. We're getting three new star systems (which should help spread everyone out a bit), orbis starports, and a new ship, the Hauler. I've been taking a break from E:D recently. Didn't want to burn out as Premium Beta so far has just been Alpha 4 with more people. Looking forward to diving into this.

Yes indeed. I only spent about 2 hours a week since end of May when I got the premium beta. The combat scenarios are good and I am learning a lot (combat is fantastic). But the multiplayer crashes a lot on me, to the point that it is pointless to try to earn any money to get another ship. I am looking forward to the pb2 on tuesday to see what has changed!

I assume a joystick would be best for playing Elite Dangerous, so will a Logitech ATK3 suffice? I'm looking to front the cash to get into the beta.

Yes that would be fine. Ideally, the game is at its best with joystick and throttle combo, but the joystick is the main thing.
    When you say beta, you mean the premium beta which is running at the moment, or the upcoming normal beta?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Yes that would be fine. Ideally, the game is at its best with joystick and throttle combo, but the joystick is the main thing.
    When you say beta, you mean the premium beta which is running at the moment, or the upcoming normal beta?
    Normal beta.

Does anyone have any idea what is the expected pricetag on that "normal" beta?

All prices are on their shop:
    https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-cat.html
    Standard beta is 50.

Well, the game moved into Beta last night, adding even more star systems, in-game chat & fuel. After a few hours not being able to log on (probably due to overstretched servers as a whole bunch of new players have arrived), I've managed to spend a few hours with it. Loving the new additions to the star map. Makes planning trade routes much easier, though I haven't quite worked out the fuel/tonnes-carrying/distance-you-want-to-travel equations yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Reaper View Post
    Well, the game moved into Beta last night, adding even more star systems, in-game chat & fuel. After a few hours not being able to log on (probably due to overstretched servers as a whole bunch of new players have arrived)
    Yes, I am one of them, thanks to the note in their latest newsletter that non-beta backers could upgrade to the standard beta for a ridiculously small amount. Upgraded yesterday and already spent a few hours with the game.

The absence of a proper tutorial makes it quite hard for a newbie to get a grasp on all the controls and keys, especially since the help only tells you what you are supposed to do but not how. Thankfully a short explanation of how to drop out of supercruise was only a short Google search away, and I am slowly getting the hang of the keyboard controls. However, even the little time spent with the combat module before made me realize that twenty years since I last used a (digital) joystick it might be time to finally get a proper flightstick for the first time. And maybe a larger monitor to go with it... :D

So far I haven't found an easy way to find profitable trade routes since those the star map suggests are way out of my reach at the moment, so I keep myself afloat with trade missions (and, so far, one confirmed pirate kill). A bit of routine certainly helps to get more familiar with the controls of course, and once I had the basics covered the old Elite feeling set in again - check the message board, accept missions, plot course and so on, and just like Civ there's already that urge to do "only one more mission".

Now all I need is one button to switch off the cockpit and another one to take a screenshot...
    Last edited by c-Row; 31-07-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: It's supercruise, not supercharge...
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Yeah, I'm afraid the only tutorial at the moment is the Frontier forums. :-D

F10 takes a screenshot, Alt-F10 takes a screenshot at 4x your current resolution. As for turning off the cockpit, I'm afraid the only way to take a pic without it is to look up, if you're in a Sidewinder or an Eagle anyway.

As for the flight stick, I can heartily recommend the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS, which is what I'm using. A decent stick & throttle for 40. I myself am debating whether to splash out on TrackIR or wait for a VR headset.

So is it actually now buyable & playable for us who didn't take part in any kickstartering? For how much? Should I still wait? Is it FUN?

I think it has been for quite a while but only now has it reached reasonable price regions.

I have only played for a few hours now but it's already well polished and entertaining once you memorize the keyboard setup. So far I didn't miss any obvious features - I am not even sure what is supposed to be missing from the game at this stage.

So, how long until the founding of an RPS Elite guild?
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    I think it has been for quite a while but only now has it reached reasonable price regions.

I have only played for a few hours now but it's already well polished and entertaining once you memorize the keyboard setup. So far I didn't miss any obvious features - I am not even sure what is supposed to be missing from the game at this stage.

So, how long until the founding of an RPS Elite guild?
    Mining, exploring mechanics and more ships are still to be added. (And a lot of smaller things)

Activated Node
    I see messages about not able to logon, does it means it has an always on DRM?

Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    I see messages about not able to logon, does it means it has an always on DRM?
    The beta has no offline mode at this time. According to several FAQs the full release will.

There are experiencing intermittent server issues I believe. They already released a patch yesterday to solve a number of these issues, we will most likely get another one soon.

Also, regarding your question about DRM, the persistent world is maintained on their servers so even if you are playing solo, you will need to be connected. I am not certain about an always on connection, but this is an online mp game, even if you choose to play solo. Your profile is stored on the servers.

But I think they will allow an offline mode, where your offline commander will not be allowed online and the world you play in will be mostly static.