Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Simple question, purists need not apply: is the game fun with mouse and keyboard? I've seen HOTAS being bandied about a lot, but I have neither the money nor the inclination to buy one. Just the price of the beta is stretching it for me.

I am slowly getting used to the mouse/kb combination. You can also use a gamepad if you already own one.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    If the price of the beta is stretching it for you, I would recommend getting the preorder for 35 and save a bit of money to buy a cheap stick. The difference is massive. However, a decent compromise is a gamepad, as c-Row suggested.

I spent a few hours with the game today and I can safely say that it is shaping up to meet all my expectations. It plays gorgeously, albeit if you play in online mp at the moment, there are plenty of crashes and softlocks. However, I just played for 4 hours on Solo in MP and everything went smoothly, no locks at all. I think once they sort out all the net bugs, the online mp will be perfectly playable.

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    So, how long until the founding of an RPS Elite guild?
    Well, now that we have in-game friends lists, matchmaking & chat, we could form up...anytime now really. I'm Commander Jim Reaper, if anyone wants to add me. :-D

I am Commander TheDreamlord if you want to add me :)

As a long time veteran of space sims I am probably biased (I have owned joysticks for the last 25 years!), but in my honest opinion the difference between playing with m+kb and a joystick is like night and day. It is not just more efficient and effective but the feeling of space sim games (and flight sims in general) is completely different.

For anyone planning to do a significant time investment with E:D I would strongly recommend adding a joystick to his set up. There is a very large selection of joysticks covering all prices ranges from a few € to many hundreds; if you can, save some money and get one.

I would recommend if possible a 4-axis joystick; that is pitch and roll (the two normal axes of the stick, all joysticks have this), thruster and yaw. As a minimum, get a 3-axis (pitch, roll and throttle). The reason for this is that one of the main advantages of using a joystick is the ability to have a fine tuning of the speed in dogfights. For E:D, as far as I can see, yaw is used mainly to help in centering the reticle in your target so it is nice to have but no a must have. I would not recommend a 2-axis joystick, throttle control is too important. Note that the main advantage you get with joysticks is being able to perform fast manoeuvres which are almost impossible to do with other means of control. Nevertheless, targeting may be more difficult with a joystick compared to using m+kb (especially if you use a cheap joystick), but you compensate that many times over thanks to the improved manoeuvrability. And for that, you need to control the 4 axis.

In fact, that’s why I do not like using a controller either, as although you have several analog axis they are not sliders, that is, you cannot put them in an intermediate position and let them stay in it. As a result, the controller configurations I see use click buttons to increase/decrease the throttle, therefore making speed controller even worse than m+kb (with a mouse you can use the wheel to control the throttle, which is a better option than using keys or buttons).

Finally, if you can get your hands in a HOTAS, then you are golden (I myself own an X-52 pro). The feeling you get with one in a dog fight is really amazing. The Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS recommended earlier is a very good entry suggestion for a HOTAS with the equivalent price of a single game; note that unless you treat it badly everyday it will last you many years, so it is not a huge investment. Even more so now with the flood of space sims coming in the following months/years!
    Last edited by DuncanIdah0; 01-08-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've never had a hugely high priced joystick, but I certainly have never enjoyed a space sim that i've played without one, and I'd never consider playing a space sim without one. Even the cheapest of cheapy joysticks will feel better than any combination of mouse/keyboard/gamepad.
    the only problem being that it's actually quite hard to buy PC joysticks these days, no one except sim enthusiasts uses them. You can get them online (in the west), but you used to be able to walk into any PC/Game store and see a dozen on the shelves.. I have never succeeded in finding a single joystick on a shelf in Tokyo.

But yes, get one.

Activated Node
    well thats pretty much made my mind up, i downloaded the beta last night but havent had chance to play it yet - i was going to give it a blast with KB&M in the hope that it was manageable and then maybe splash out on Track IR but you guys make it sound like the stick is much more of a priority

As long as you stay away from trouble like pirates you can maneuvre with mouse and keyboard just fine. Unfortunately trouble tends to find you in E:D.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The point isn't really the control, it's the feel. You can play Freespace just fine with a Gamepad, or even a mouse and keyboard (i think). But it doesn't feel as good.

I think it's about physical feedback. Joysticks, even simple ones without anything fancy like force feedback (does that still exist?)) fight against you.. mouse and gamepad have no resistance. This makes your ship/plane feel insubstantial and more like an arcade shooter/fps.

If you are in a tight turning battle with a joystick, your arm actually gets tired from holding the stick to its extreme. With a gamepad it's just moving your thumb 1cm to the side..

I have never tried a HOTAS or track IR or even had a joystick with a throttle, but an ok joystick with a hat switch and a couple of nice trigger buttons makes any flight sim feel so much better.
    (all imho of course)

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergeek View Post
    i was going to give it a blast with KB&M in the hope that it was manageable and then maybe splash out on Track IR but you guys make it sound like the stick is much more of a priority
    In my opinion a stick is a necessity, whereas TrackIR or a VR headset is a luxury. Nice sure, but not essential.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've splurged for the game and while I'll say that m+kb isn't ideal, it's not a necessity to get a stick. I can get around without it just fine, and it's one less thing sitting on my desk. When the game improves and there's more stuff to do, I might consider a basic HOTAS setup, but I'd need some other games to use it with as well...

Am Cmd Hound if someone wants to add me!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Network Hub
    Holy sweet space balls.

Just started playing this with the new Rift and an X52; and it's genuinely hard to express how /incredible/ it is. Wow wow wow wow wow.

Activated Node
    its still a beta, game keeps crashing when I try to edit my control settings

After some consideration and watching some videos on this game, i decided to shoot in te dark and give it a try. What makes it a bit harder is that i have no experience with joysticks what so ever. I did some research and found this movie about the T16000M (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTaWDpw3108). It seems quite alright, as it is available near me and is not too expensive. When i googled HOTAS the look of these sticks looked complicated enough :)
    Anyway, long story short, do you guys think the T16000M is a good way to start this game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I've been playing with an X52 Pro and the next best thing to VR/head tracking - three monitors - and it's just great. I don't know if it supports FreeTrack but I'll give that a go when I can be bothered.

I had problems today upgrading from 1.02 to 1.03 (BSOD twice during failed upgrade), but I uninstalled the game and installed fresh and it's all good now.
    The more I play, the more fun this game is. My progress is rather slow, but I don't plan to play much during the beta period.

Obscure Node
    I like the idea of an RPS group as none of my friends like space games for some reason. I'm Commander Bowak.

For the moment though I only intend to play 3 or 4 hours a week as I'm wary of burning out on the game before everything's been added to it. Right now I'm just messing about with the basic Sidewinder so that I lose nothing (except cargo) if I'm destroyed. My favourite thing at the moment is to slowly pass as close as I can to the rings of Orbis stations just to enjoy the view.

I caved in to myself and bought this last night, got ganked out of super cruise and realized I suck in a dogfight, 10/10. I looks bloomin amazin and the control setup was a delight! I have nice mix of controller for flight and keyboard for cockpit stuff going on. I would like a few more ways to make using the cockpit a bit more intuitive, I think a rift and X52 might improve this :D
    \_(ツ)_/