Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Note that Black Markets exist not only in anarchy systems, but in other systems as well (though not in all). It can be found under Contacts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Made it to something like 1.3 million today. I'm going to buy a Type 9 Heavy when I can afford it and go for the Anaconda, because why not? I could probably buy a Cobra and all the trimmings with what I've saved already.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    How is it on hardware requirements - what systems do you guys have and how is it performing?
    And any idea what the likely requirements are going to be for solid frame rate (it's 75Hz, right?) & maximum eye candy on the consumer release of Oculus Rift?
    I'm running the beta on high on a stock i2500K @ 3.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM with a Geforce 770 GTX with 2GB VRAM and get around 70 fps in stations and around 140 in space.
    Last edited by Chauvigny; 08-08-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Fair play, this guys' monitor set up is impressive.

"Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Blimey, that is a good setup!

The control schemes will definitely put off someone that isn't au-fait with simulator games, so my chief concern with Elite is that a large chunk of the potential audience will be put off by it's accessibility. Also, there's far too much 'busywork' having to put down your landing gear manually and the like.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, even if I have accidentally pressed what appears to be some kind of 'super thrust' button instead of my menu button on a couple of occassions and shot my ship into the space station by mistake.

However, I am enjoying it and know that the reward for my commitment will be worth it. It's enough like Elite, and different enough from Frontier (not a fan) to work for most audiences if only they can make it a bit easier to get to grips with. Funnily enough I found docking at spaceports to be a doddle - the hardest bit is remembering all the button presses to get to the menu to request docking ;)
    Last edited by Themadcow; 14-08-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Ah yes, boosting when you meant to request docking permission. I have done that a few times. Not to mention losing my Eagle 5 times in a row because the Feds deployed their crack suicide squad to defend the Impeccable. And yes, docking is an absolute cakewalk compared to the original Elite.

By the way, has anyone considered opening a thread in the Game Clubs subforum to organise group stuff? I`ve thus far stuck to solo mode since I`d heard absolute horror stories about multiplayer.

You mean this one? (though A Delicate Balance seems not to have been online since I sent my invitation inquiry)

What baffles me most is that there is no safety question before jettisoning your cargo. Once clicked the wrong button and lost all my cargo.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Fair play, this guys' monitor set up is impressive.

Wow!

PC Gamer's LPC just got pwned :P

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    You mean this one? (though A Delicate Balance seems not to have been online since I sent my invitation inquiry)
    Thanks, note to self: use the forum search.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Worst for me is how the weapon fire button automatically deploys the guns if they were not already. Had some... misunderstandings with the authorities as a result.

Hah, I`ve had my weapons deploy and start firing on their own for some reason. Oh, and this happened as I was lifting off of a landing pad. Turns out, stations have defence turrets on the interior as well as the exterior.

On an almost completely unrelated topic, does the Cobra Mk. 3 have any particular advantages over the Viper, apart from the cargo space? I`ve tried to use the Viper as a sort of boom `n` zoom fighter, but it has a habit of overheating if you so much as glance at a C1 beam, never mind a C3/4 weapon or a full volley of burst lasers. I`ve been wondering if the Cobra has slightly better heat dispersal.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    Worst for me is how the weapon fire button automatically deploys the guns if they were not already. Had some... misunderstandings with the authorities as a result.
    There is a setting in the keybindings for this, to enable it or disable it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bezel... I could never live with it... Hmmm, we have a 55 inch curved display available at work... But I'd prefer double widescreen for that.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    On an almost completely unrelated topic, does the Cobra Mk. 3 have any particular advantages over the Viper, apart from the cargo space? I`ve tried to use the Viper as a sort of boom `n` zoom fighter, but it has a habit of overheating if you so much as glance at a C1 beam, never mind a C3/4 weapon or a full volley of burst lasers. I`ve been wondering if the Cobra has slightly better heat dispersal.
    E:D definitely needs a comparison screen when buying new ships.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Newsletter 36 just came out... Let`s just say I want Stellar Forge to be available as a standalone. I don`t care how much it would cost, or how much damage it would do to my PC, I want it.

Hmmm, so I've spent about 14 hours now with Elite and have traded enough to get a SpaceTransit for moar trading (but haven't yet bought it) but I'm somewhat confused about combat, having recorded a total of zero kills so far.

I haven't upgraded my sidewinder with better weapons but it seems to me that against anything other than another Sidewinder I'm neither putting out enough damage to whittle down shields / hull before someone else appears and steals my kill, or in the case of fighting Eagles we're just dancing round each other until I get bored and jump away towards the next station. I'm guessing that's partly because I'm a rubbish noob pilot, but is fighting genuinely pretty pointless unless you upgrade your weapons?

For that reason I'm avoiding all the plentiful 'go to this system, kill people' missions. Well, that and the fact that I'm not entirely clear whether going to those systems and killing *whoever* will result in me being 'Wanted' and then shot to bits by that factions space stations. I see missions asking me to kill pirates but I'm not sure I've ever seen a pirate unless anyone who is interdict's me (lol) is counted as a pirate.

Flight is great, graphics top notch and sound is superb but I do feel like I'm just flying from station to station trying to trade because that's all I know how to do...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    You can hunt bounties in Sidewinders with your Sidewinder to make some money before you try the missions that might have you targeting better ships than yours, but it being beta means combat isn't as fleshed out as trading just yet. You can make enough to buy a Cobra Mk.III doing a fairly simple trade route (fairly simple = only one jump in the hauler) in an acceptable amount of time. Personally I skipped the Cobra, kept saving and got the Type 6 because, as I said, combat is far less lucrative than trading at the moment and I'd quite like to have an Anaconda. But I haven't played for some time to avoid burning out before the game is released.

I have been able to rack up quite a few kills in the stock Sidewinder. The main thing is to (if you`re using M+KB) set your mouse deadzone to 0 and use relative mouse control, use the strafe keys to position yourself outside the enemy`s arc of fire, and use the blue sweet spot to get your manoeuvrability as high as possible. You should try to push into dogfighting range (<1 km) as much as you can, since that`s where the Sidewinder excels.

The Fed distress call combat zone around Eranin 2 is a great place to practice dogfighting, especially if you side with Eranin, since the Fed fighters have basically zero firepower and are about as durable as wet cardboard. I have seen a few NPC Cobras show up occasionally, and these can smash your ship in a few seconds, so keep your distance. Also, the Federation fighters are quite quick, but the AI is very, very slow, so you will be rammed by them and it will one-shot kill you, a lot.

If you want to hunt bigger ships in a Sidewinder, don`t. Eagles can be killed, but a Cobra or a Viper will murder you unless you`re a very good pilot. I have been able to kill a few with gimballed burst lasers and a lot of luck, but you should really avoid them unless you have something that can match them blow-for-blow.
    Last edited by EPICTHEFAIL; 21-08-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Activated Node
    I ran off three NPC Cobras in a Sidewinder once. The AI isn't quite up to speed at operating when it has wingmen, unfortunately, since I should have been completely trounced in that fight, rather than being able to pick them off one at a time. Also, I wasn't able to destroy them since my guns were too puny to actually destroy them before they went and escaped.